Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!
View Poll Results: iPhone or Droid
Droid
31.25%
iPhone
68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Verizon announces iPhone 4 today

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

only the best, HTC EVO. and on sprint network, which has the best rates by far.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

http://www.appolicious.com/finance/a...ying-right-now
Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by theXman
so you can't surf and talk at the same time with verizon's CDMA iphone.
I didn't think Apple would introduce a CDMA iPhone for that very reason. LTE will support it but I wouldn't expect Apple to support early LTE firmware until bugs have been worked out. I use data and cell at the same time and my work often depends on it if I'm away from a computer. Lack of global capabilities are also a deal breaker for me moving to Verizon. Coverage in the remote parts of the Pacific North West is better on the V network, though.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

let's see what the iPhone5 is going to look like..
Old 01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The CDMA data limitation isn't of course unique to the iPhone. Verizon's Android phones suffer the same issue. That's always been one of AT&T's differentiators compared to Verizon. If you need simultaneous voice and data - and frankly, most people can get by just fine without it - this release isn't for you. That said, Verizon will be offering the iPhone with the ability to be a mobile hotspot for up to 5 devices, something AT&T doesn't do and hasn't yet committed to match. Verizon also seems to be prepared to offer a unlimited data plan, something AT&T no longer does (it remains to be seen if tethered data is truly unlimited or subject to a hard or soft cap of say 2GB or 5G. The most interesting thing here, though, is Verizon agreeing, really for the first time, to carry a phone without branding and without stuffing it full of useless crapware. That's something Apple has always maintained was a non-negotiable, it's good that Apple and Verizon were able to come to agreement on that. This is also a slightly different case design with what are presumably a few changes to make sure that the phone doesn't suffer from antenna attenuation.

I'm hoping we now see the phone on T-Mobile and Sprint too. The Verizon deal isn't exclusive so this has to be coming soon. Still, if you can wait for the LTE version as ImolaRedM says above it will address the CDMA limitations and is probably the one to get.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
let's see what the iPhone5 is going to look like..
Most tech blogs (TiPb and BGR) are saying that the iPhone5 will not be an LTE device. We will most likely not see the LTE version until Q1 2012.

Originally Posted by swajames
The CDMA data limitation isn't of course unique to the iPhone. Verizon's Android phones suffer the same issue. That's always been one of AT&T's differentiators compared to Verizon. If you need simultaneous voice and data - and frankly, most people can get by just fine without it - this release isn't for you. That said, Verizon will be offering the iPhone with the ability to be a mobile hotspot for up to 5 devices, something AT&T doesn't do and hasn't yet committed to match. Verizon also seems to be prepared to offer a unlimited data plan, something AT&T no longer does (it remains to be seen if tethered data is truly unlimited or subject to a hard or soft cap of say 2GB or 5G. The most interesting thing here, though, is Verizon agreeing, really for the first time, to carry a phone without branding and without stuffing it full of useless crapware. That's something Apple has always maintained was a non-negotiable, it's good that Apple and Verizon were able to come to agreement on that. This is also a slightly different case design with what are presumably a few changes to make sure that the phone doesn't suffer from antenna attenuation. I'm hoping we now see the phone on T-Mobile and Sprint too. The Verizon deal isn't exclusive so this has to be coming soon. Still, if you can wait for the LTE version as ImolaRedM says above it will address the CDMA limitations and is probably the one to get.
Good points all the way around...in speaking with my IT guys, they suggest waiting for the VZW LTE phones to come out (e.g., Droid Bionic), and get the iPad wifi, which has all of the functions (minus phone capabilities) of an iPhone. Using the mobile hotspot of the LTE phone, you can then surf the net using the iPad at LTE speeds. Sounds pretty reasonable. Your thoughts?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by theonlychoman
Good points all the way around...in speaking with my IT guys, they suggest waiting for the VZW LTE phones to come out (e.g., Droid Bionic), and get the iPad wifi, which has all of the functions (minus phone capabilities) of an iPhone. Using the mobile hotspot of the LTE phone, you can then surf the net using the iPad at LTE speeds. Sounds pretty reasonable. Your thoughts?
I think that's an excellent idea. Don't forget that the revised and updated iPad is due in the next two months or so, we should see the announcement in the next few week with a probable release in March or April.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

http://www.motorola....ola-ATRIX-US-EN

wonder how long the wait though....

4G

ability to dock to a larger keyboard as well as a larger monitor.

+Multi tasking

Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by healthservices
http://www.motorola....ola-ATRIX-US-EN

wonder how long the wait though....

4G

ability to dock to a larger keyboard as well as a larger monitor.

+Multi tasking
The Motorola Atrix looks awesome. There were a bunch of hands on videos flying around after CES and it looks like a fantastic phone.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
I currently have BB, on VZW...not sure if I can live without BBM...but this is tempting...
+1. I have a BB(VZW) for personal and an I-Phone 3GS for work. Agreed - BBM is awesome. If I had to choose one phone, I'd have to go with the BB as I'm not huge on Apps.