Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

USA F1 Grand Prix farce

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I'm sure there's a few others here who expected to see a good race today. Nothing to do with E60 I know, expect that having bought Michelin tyres before, I was going to replace my run-flats with Michelins.

So, now that Michelin is off my shopping list... I'll need to decide what to replace the current tyres with.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

It was utter crap....all those fans deserve a refund!

DD
Old 06-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Its definitely not a great job Micelin did. But, also consider that 9 teams (incl. Jordan and Minardi) were in favor of the chicane. Only the FIA (i.e., Ferrari) were opposed...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

You can't blame Ferrari, of the FIA for today. Michelin messed up bigtime. Yes, a deal *should* have been made, but Michelin are the bad guys.

BTW, I just emailed Michelin, to tell them it's cost them at least one more set of tyres.

The whole mess is going to cost them BIG TIME. I wonder if they'll be around next year. I wonder what will happen to the Indy race next year. I bet the promoter will be crapping their pants right now.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

HUH? what happened? I need a re-cap. I like Michelin tires...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_19991.shtml
Old 06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Way to go Tiago!

Don't get excited tho, as Bridgestone may be next
Old 06-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 530iSE, Black Saphire with beige leather, auto, lux pack, comms pack, viz pack, power mirrors, 122 wheels

I feel sorry for the US fans there, there must have been a real information void in the stadium. Even as Bernie was walking down the grid he was making out there was going to be a race. I wonder if the single tyre provider proposal for 2008 will be brought forward now.

I feel that the fundamental problem, as many have said, was a failure by those at the sharp end of the FIA to appreciate the bigger picture. Maybe Michelin will not have to fall on their sword in the short term - business reality will take over the decision making when the dust settles.

But what chance a US 2006 Grand Prix? Maybe there as well business will make the decisions. The chance for BMW, Mercedes and others to showcase in their biggest markets will mean the race will go ahead even if FIA and the teams cannot make money from it. Will the US let them back though? :'( :'(
Old 06-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree that Michelin made a very big mistake with their tyres, no arguments there.
However the FIA should have supported the decision to add the chicane as requested by the 9 teams. The FIA always says safety is the priority, so why didn't they demand the chicane in the interests of safety then and back the 9 teams? At least there would have been a proper F1 race for all the spectators and fans.

I'm a follower of F1 for a while and the FIA always appear to be on the side of Ferrari and which team benefitted the most today

BTW Did Schumacher get his rear tyre changed during the race? If it was changed did the FIA check whether it was damaged otherwise there would be a penalty
Old 06-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

My thoughts are

Michelin did mess up

And they could not allow the cars out for safety reasons

the chicane was the only option, and the FIA should have allowed it, but not given any points to any team. then at least there would have been a show to watch

So both are at fault, but to me the FIA could have fixed things but they didnt

Quick Reply: USA F1 Grand Prix farce