Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

U.S. ranks 42nd out of 48 countries in deaths per capita

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

When you hear that the US is 42nd out of 48 countries when it comes to number of deaths per capita, it might sound like a good thing. Until you find out that the rankings go from lowest to highest -- which means, yes, that of the measured countries, there are only six places where driving is more deadly than the Land of the Free. (Tip: you might want to avoid driving in Russia and Lithuania for a few more years.)

The posited reasons are varied and numerous, and include the brevity of driver training, lax laws, weak enforcement, no emphasis on public transport, little public awareness, and a lack of Federal legislation. Regardless of the causes, the effect is that it's riskier to get behind the wheel here than it is in the Poland or Estonia. This is despite the fact that cars have gotten exponentially safer, and the US leads the world in the adoption of electronic stability control, said to be "the greatest life-saving technology since the seat belt."

If there's any consolation, it's that the US does considerably better in the number of fatalities per mile driven, where the US comes in at number 11. Before you celebrate, in 1970 the US was number one. Which country has the lowest number of fatalities per capita? Malta.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

I am not one to normally defend the driving habits in the US but fatalities per capita figures are useless. Fatalities Per 1 Million Vehicle Miles Driven is a better measure.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550iReno, NV
Model Year: 2008

Here is a graphical breakdown:
Attached Thumbnails U.S. ranks 42nd out of 48 countries in deaths per capita-breakdown.jpg  
Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='451719' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:46 AM
When you hear that the US is 42nd out of 48 countries when it comes to number of deaths per capita, it might sound like a good thing. Until you find out that the rankings go from lowest to highest -- which means, yes, that of the measured countries, there are only six places where driving is more deadly than the Land of the Free. (Tip: you might want to avoid driving in Russia and Lithuania for a few more years.)

The posited reasons are varied and numerous, and include the brevity of driver training, lax laws, weak enforcement, no emphasis on public transport, little public awareness, and a lack of Federal legislation. Regardless of the causes, the effect is that it's riskier to get behind the wheel here than it is in the Poland or Estonia. This is despite the fact that cars have gotten exponentially safer, and the US leads the world in the adoption of electronic stability control, said to be "the greatest life-saving technology since the seat belt."

If there's any consolation, it's that the US does considerably better in the number of fatalities per mile driven, where the US comes in at number 11. Before you celebrate, in 1970 the US was number one. Which country has the lowest number of fatalities per capita? Malta.
hey pinguhk, is this a copy/paste or did you just get a PhD in English ?

interesting article...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by andy545' post='451901' date='Jul 26 2007, 04:43 AM
hey pinguhk, is this a copy/paste or did you just get a PhD in English ?

interesting article...
thanks for the good remark.
BUT I am Dyslexic so not way in the world that I can write like this, I must be the $hitys writer hear
So this is a copy and paste.