Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

A TREAT FROM HERTZ TO DRIVE AROUND SUNDANCE

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

So I flew to Salt Lake with Karen for a few days of r&r in Sundance. Checked in with Hertz to pick up my "green" Camry and low and behold this baby had just come in from California. So I ask how much for the ZHZ and it was just too good a deal to refuse. I really didn't know what to expect since I had never driven a 'Vette. It is one serious automobile to be reckoned with! The power, the handling, the sound... it was a total eye opener. We stayed with friends who own a place in Sundance. We even got to meet Bob Redford who is a friend of my host. But now for the fun part, the twisting roads up into the mountains were absolutely fantastic. That aspect along with the stunning scenery just got the adrenalin cooking. Parking this baby at lookout spots is also amazing because we made so many friends who just wanted to come over and check it out. Now, you all know I am hooked on the blue and white propeller logo, but this never happened to me before. Even big guys riding big assed motorcycles became buds of mine. This often overlooked American product is definitely impressive in all regards.
Thank you Hertz!

A TREAT FROM HERTZ TO DRIVE AROUND SUNDANCE-img_0349_copy.jpg
A TREAT FROM HERTZ TO DRIVE AROUND SUNDANCE-img_0350_copy.jpg
A TREAT FROM HERTZ TO DRIVE AROUND SUNDANCE-img_0357_copy.jpg
A TREAT FROM HERTZ TO DRIVE AROUND SUNDANCE-img_0359_copy.jpg
Old 07-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Wow, that is a beauty. Great choice of picking this baby up and dumping the Camry. So how fast have you gone with it?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

bob redford...as in robert redford??? no way!!! he's tres cool.
when u rent it from hertz do they give u unlimited mileage???
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Unlimited mileage. Got it up to speed, let's say. But it's really the handling characteristics and torque of this beast that are so fun on the twisities rather than testing the top end. Redford is tres cool and an extremely gracious and welcoming person.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Contributors

hahahaha. you should have told the "biker guys" that it's a rental and you drive a BMW. they would walk away from you in disgust.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Contributors

In fact I did. They were all just great guys having fun in the mountains, too. One guy even offered to let me take this bike for a spin!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Awesome Lee. Yes, the Corvette ZHZ is my all time favorite rental car. 436 bhp and zero to sixty in the four second range. It is a total beast. Most renters at Hertz are not even aware that it is available. As a result, if you do not reserve in advance and are at a major Hertz airport center that offers the car (DFW, LAX, etc), it can be had for cheap. The acceleration in that thing is mind blowing, making my 550 seem like a turtle.

Of course, the interior is standard GM crap but in a rental car, I could care less. It is pure power.

Vicky and I are heading back from Spain tomorrow. It was a blast. We did lots of trecherous mountain twisties here, especially driving up to the Monestary at Montserrat (an over 3000 vertical foot climb up and down a massive mountain) and on the road from Rosas to Cadaques, which goes up and down a big coastal mountain range.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='950478' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:13 PM
Awesome Lee. Yes, the Corvette ZHZ is my all time favorite rental car. 436 bhp and zero to sixty in the four second range. It is a total beast. Most renters at Hertz are not even aware that it is available. As a result, if you do not reserve in advance and are at a major Hertz airport center that offers the car (DFW, LAX, etc), it can be had for cheap. The acceleration in that thing is mind blowing, making my 550 seem like a turtle.

Of course, the interior is standard GM crap but in a rental car, I could care less. It is pure power.

Vicky and I are heading back from Spain tomorrow. It was a blast. We did lots of trecherous mountain twisties here, especially driving up to the Monestary at Montserrat (an over 3000 vertical foot climb up and down a massive mountain) and on the road from Rosas to Cadaques, which goes up and down a big coastal mountain range.
You must have had a sweet time. I always get terrific rentals from Hertz in Europe, too. What were you driving, Scott?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by 1600' post='950492' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:23 PM
You must have had a sweet time. I always get terrific rentals from Hertz in Europe, too. What were you driving, Scott?
The rentals were a last minute thing and most cars were sold out.

On Monday, we rented a Passat TDI wagon from Avis.

Today, we rented a MB C220 TDI.

The MB was a complete POS. Less than 20,000 miles and the AC broke down. This in an over 100 degree day. So Vicky and I roasted in than POS. And it drove like an old man's car. Crappy steering, lots of body roll and no grip. The Passat was head and shoulders above the MB. Neither can compare to an E60.

Spain is a beautiful country and driving here was a blast. The roads are well-signed and with a GPS, it's a piece of cake. And there are some awesome twisties to be had here. This part of Spain reminds me of driving in California (when you are out in the country). A lot.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

And of course the difference between a rental car and a Jeep??

NOTHING!!

I hope you drove accordingly!!

Quick Reply: A TREAT FROM HERTZ TO DRIVE AROUND SUNDANCE