Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Travelling to San Fran and Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530d SE, Mystic Blue with grey dakota leather... ...Sunroof, Through-Loading, heated seats, headlight washer... ......Bluetooth, 6-disc CD, Business Nav, 18" star spoke 123 alloys and a full set of mats

Hi all,
We will be travelling via San Francisco and Hong Kong on the way to and from New Zealand in the near future. We are stopping for a couple of nights in SF and HK, but don't fancy carrying over the little fella's car seat (hoping my brother can get us one for our stay in NZ while we are there)..I'll be dragging enough luggage on my back as it is without a car seat as well!!

So, is it okay/safe/legal to travel in taxis (or vehicles used for airport/hotel transfers) with an infant - he'll be 7 months old - without a car seat in SF/HK ??

Cheers
Andy
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by apok97' post='548249' date='Mar 20 2008, 01:16 PM
Hi all,
We will be travelling via San Francisco and Hong Kong on the way to and from New Zealand in the near future. We are stopping for a couple of nights in SF and HK, but don't fancy carrying over the little fella's car seat (hoping my brother can get us one for our stay in NZ while we are there)..I'll be dragging enough luggage on my back as it is without a car seat as well!!

So, is it okay/safe/legal to travel in taxis (or vehicles used for airport/hotel transfers) with an infant - he'll be 7 months old - without a car seat in SF/HK ??

Cheers
Andy

California law is a no-go. I doubt the cab driver would be willing to risk what would be a substantial fine for both them and yourself. Strap the lil fella up and keep 'em safe.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

HK they wouldn care... but CA, you gotta get that car seat all figured out....I made both my kids habituated with car seats because we go to vacations in US a lot, so they dont get the shock of being strapped down all of a sudden. Now they are so behaved that even my friends in CA are amazed how kids from Bangladesh are coping with the Car seats ....
Old 03-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Andy, are you renting a car while you're in SF? Some car rental companies will also rent out car seats and even strollers. If not, try looking online for a rental company that rent those items and deliver them to you. They will probably bring it to your hotel but the problem, like you stated above, is the transfers to and from the airport via taxi or shuttle.

When I traveled to Oregon, I had the same dilemma so found a rental place where I got a car seat, stroller and portable crib delivered to my cousin's house and he had the car seat in his car when he picked us up from the airport. If you don't know anyone in SF, maybe call ahead for one of those Lincoln Town Car "limos" and see if they have car seats available.

When are you coming here? I can try to help get info for you.

Tony
Old 03-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

You will be fine in HK without the child seat, but only if you are in the Taxi, and not in your own car.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530d SE, Mystic Blue with grey dakota leather... ...Sunroof, Through-Loading, heated seats, headlight washer... ......Bluetooth, 6-disc CD, Business Nav, 18" star spoke 123 alloys and a full set of mats

Thanks for the speedy replies and all the info guys...I'm not planning on renting a car in San Fran (or HK), as we're only stopping two nights each time to break up the flights, chill out and see some of the sights. As the car seat is a definite must for SF then, it best come with us....also means my brother gets out of having to score us one in NZ!

Catch you later
Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Contributors

If you are not renting a car in SF then I would suggest taking BART (our trains) from SFO into downtown SF (depending upon your arrival time). Once you're downtown there is plenty to do around the city without a car. You might need a stroller though.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='548413' date='Mar 21 2008, 01:51 AM
If you are not renting a car in SF then I would suggest taking BART (our trains) from SFO into downtown SF (depending upon your arrival time). Once you're downtown there is plenty to do around the city without a car. You might need a stroller though.
Hi and thanks for the BART pointer...and yes, the stroller is taken care of and I'm sure we'll be doing plenty of power walking/pushing for the next 48 hours...

We arrive in the afternoon, so what is the nearest BART stop to Mark Hopkins IC hotel (Nob Hill)? From my rather laking-in-detail city transport map in the Rough Guide to San Francisco, it looks like might need to get on the MUNI line 30 from the BART?!?

Out of interest, how would cab fare from SFO compare to 2+1 BART tickets..
Cheers
Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

We have a combination stroller and car-seat. It's really a car seat with wheels that fold up into the bottom of the seat, and a handle that retracts. In the end, compared to high-end, single-purpose products, it is a kind of bad car seat, and a kind of bad stroller, but when traveling it really is perfect. It's FAA certified for flying! (Who cares, but it is.) We've flown our boy (now 3) to Hawaii, Utah, Vegas, Arizona, and have also used it when driving places when we don't want the bulk of extra stroller. You can use it on the plane, in taxis, in other cars, and you can push it around on the street. You'll see them in airports.

I haven't seen more than this one design. I'm surprised one of the high-end stroller companies like Bugaboo hasn't made a perfect one that's more ergonomically accomplished; but this same model seems to be the only one I've seen.

Looking around, I guess it is sometimes known as a TriplePlay.

I think lots of websites sell it. I forget where we got ours, surely online somewhere.

I see it at this activeforever.com and happymothers.com. I have no connection to these, I'm just pointing you to the product.

http://www.activeforever.com/showproduct.a...p;Source=Nextag

http://shop.happymothers.com/shop/product....i_sku=TP04001SH
Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by apok97' post='548564' date='Mar 21 2008, 04:43 AM
Hi and thanks for the BART pointer...and yes, the stroller is taken care of and I'm sure we'll be doing plenty of power walking/pushing for the next 48 hours...

We arrive in the afternoon, so what is the nearest BART stop to Mark Hopkins IC hotel (Nob Hill)? From my rather laking-in-detail city transport map in the Rough Guide to San Francisco, it looks like might need to get on the MUNI line 30 from the BART?!?

Out of interest, how would cab fare from SFO compare to 2+1 BART tickets..
Cheers
If you're able to, change your stay to the new IC San Francisco at 888 Howard St. It's a beautiful glass tower right next to the Moscone Convention Center, around the corner from both a Bart station and trolly, and it's BRAND NEW (opened a couple of weeks ago). I spent a couple weeks there pre-opening installing and training their staff on my system. I'll post some room pics soon.

Quick Reply: Travelling to San Fran and Hong Kong