Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Traveling to London next week...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Title says it all. Going to London (Canary Wharf) for basically two days (excluding travel). Mostly client meetings, but will have a little time on my own. Anyone from the area know any hot places to check out?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Grey/Black leather 535xi - Premium, Ipod, Cold Weather, Dinan Stage 2, Sprintbooster

They were moving it last time I was there, but the Sacchi Gallery was pretty interesting.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

http://www.enjoyengland.com/destinations/f...nary-wharf.aspx

You can get to central london from Canary Wharf very quickly using the underground. Just use the Jubilee Line, I would say change at Green Park station onto the Piccadilly Line Eastbound and you have got the next few stops which are all good places to go ..in order from Green Park = Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden (these 3 places are pretty interesting, have night life etc)

Tube/UnderGround/Subway map here http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/d.../tube_map.html

It is really easy, very well staffed and well signposted - you couldnt mess it up if you tried

If you are pressed for time, go and see London Bridge, only 2 stops away from Canary Warf on the Jubilee Line. Take some pics.

The "london bus company" have open top buses which give a really good guided tour of the main points in London, takes a few hours. You will see signs for it around London Bridge, there are usually people on the sidewalk with a advertising board.

Also worth doing if you have time are http://www.madame-tussauds.co.uk/ and London Dungeon http://www.thedungeons.com/ you can buy a ticket for both, saves some money, they are near each other. Dont be scammed into buying one ticket for each and only buy tickets from the ticket desk at the door.

On the map I have given you, you will see Canary Warf at the South East or bottom right of the map.

Have fun.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Thanks guys.

Yet another reason why this forum kicks ass.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Canary Wharf is close to Greenwich. Its the only place in the world where you can be absolutely sure that you're setting your watch to the 'right' time.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Bring an umbrella??
Old 05-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by zimguy' post='586302' date='May 22 2008, 07:22 PM
You can get to central london from Canary Wharf very quickly using the underground. Just use the Jubilee Line, I would say change at Green Park station onto the Piccadilly Line Eastbound and you have got the next few stops which are all good places to go ..in order from Green Park = Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden (these 3 places are pretty interesting, have night life etc)
+1

Just to add few places for shopping:
Carnaby street (Young fashion stuffs)
Regent street/Oxford street (Selfridges,H&M,ZARA)
Old bond street (High-end luxury brands eg, LV,Gucci)

Google map:
Old 05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Hey, I'll be there next week also though not arriving until Friday. I would highly recommend the Tate Modern (museum), a beautiful re-do of an old power station along the Thames. Tower of London is also a favorite. The Crown Jewels can be crowded but this time of year shouldn't be too bad unless you are there on Monday which is a bank holiday. Bank holidays can lead to crowded museums/attractions as parents find things to do with kids out of school.

Keith hit the better shopping areas if you have time for that.

Edit: Oh, and unless you are a glutton for punishment, stay away from Harrod's...
Old 05-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Seems pretty well covered. From an entertainment point of view, especially if you like your beer, try any of the Dick Whittington Ale Trails. Mrs. MacSid and I had an absolute blast on the Soho and Noho Trail
Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

One more I forgot to add.

I think this is the oldest pub in London or England (not 100% sure, but it is still a nice place to visit and is near London Bridge and the other places I mentioned in my previous post)

http://www.dickensinn.co.uk/

The Dickens Inn lies at the heart of St. Katharine's Dock, which was formerly the centre of the Port of London. The Dock was masterminded and built by the celebrated Scottish engineer, Thomas Telford and for over a century it was the city's own trading outlet to the markets of the world.
With many of the original dockland buildings now converted and refurbished, St. Katharine's Dock is today a busy commercial, residential and leisure centre. The Dickens Inn mantains the areas link with dockland history being originally a spice warehouse dating from the 18th century.
In 1969 this timber framed building was restored and renovated in the style of a 19th century balconied two storey inn and opened in 1976 as Dickens Inn. The Dickens Inn's impressive European Redwood beams and pillars, antique furniture and maritime relics lends itself to a feeling of warmth and charm. It was described by one critic as 'The most atmospheric spot in the whole of London'.

Quick Reply: Traveling to London next week...