Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Travel or stay in hotels frequently? You gotta see this!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='511434' date='Dec 28 2007, 08:38 PM
Videos like this make me think about the poor kids around the world orhpaned by natural disasters, drinking dirty water (probably polluted with sewerage), from a puddle, wondering where they can find some food and where they will sleep tonight. What they wouldn't give to stay in a hotel and drink water that isn't brown and tastes like shit... If the worst that happens to me in my life time is drinking coke&ice out of a glass that has been cleaned using glass cleaner rather than properly washed, well, I will be a very grateful and lucky man.
True.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Angry

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='511379' date='Dec 28 2007, 05:05 PM
This will (and could) make you ill...

You'll probably think twice about drinking from the glasses in a hotel room after watching this:
http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/dont_e...m_hotel_glasses

Here's a follow-up video showing what happens at higher-end hotels like Renaissance and Ritz-Carlton:
http://www.bestviral.com/video/7380/dirty_...crets_follow_up

FUCK -- SHIT!!!! Fucking idiots!!! This post by Rudy came at the right time.. We are staying at Hilton Athens and have already solved serious room maintenance issues in two days. Missing towels and dirty desk and stains on the blanket are only the top of the iceberg. I pay 27EUR / day for Internet connection, using my laptop for 24h online shift and you know what? The cleaning lady came in, closed the lid and disconnected the power source and ethernet cable. This is ridiculously fucking tiring ... I make some photos of the glasses here .. the videos are right ... stupid fucking maids!!! No way I'm getting charged a penny for their service. Anyone traveling to Athens DO NOT STAY AT HILTON
Old 12-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Man that is nasty, I knew there was a reason why I never used those glasses.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

man im bringing my own glass next time i stay in a hotel..
Old 12-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='511434' date='Dec 28 2007, 11:38 AM
My mum used to work at a hotel, she told me tales that make this glass cleaning look like nothing. A favourite is that housekeeping staff will take the dirty towels from each room, and use them to clean the toilets and then the glasses (in that order) before putting them in the laundry. But to be honest, I still use the cups when I stay in a hotel, I just always give them a quick rinse first. It's no different to when you eat at a restaurant (you wouldn't want to know what low paid disgruntled employees do to the food), drink at a bar, etc etc.

Videos like this make me think about the poor kids around the world orhpaned by natural disasters, drinking dirty water (probably polluted with sewerage), from a puddle, wondering where they can find some food and where they will sleep tonight. What they wouldn't give to stay in a hotel and drink water that isn't brown and tastes like shit... If the worst that happens to me in my life time is drinking coke&ice out of a glass that has been cleaned using glass cleaner rather than properly washed, well, I will be a very grateful and lucky man.

Russ gotta disagree with you on this one...equating bad conditions in one part of the world (however sad they are) don't justify hotel employees doing things like what I saw in the video. I travel almost every week and have never used the hotel glasses and in room coffee services just as I suspected that human nature being what it is - people get lazy and don't go the extra step to follow proper procedure. I think it is dead wrong to accept this kind of service (especially given what a hotel room costs these days) and do not accept drinking out of a glass that has been dryed with a towel that was used to clean a toilet....wrong, wrong, wrong!! This is disgusting and should not be tolerated..ever!! :thumbsdown:

Rudy, thanks for posting the link and confirming my belief to NEVER drink out of hotel glasses. Another thing you want to do is never walk barefoot on those floors - I stay in hotels a lot and have yet to see a hotel maid mopping out the bathroom/shower area.....
Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Stick with the lower end hotels/motels...they use disposable and wrapped plastic cups On a side note...the way they wash glasses in bars isn't much better!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Another question ... and be honest ... when you open a can of drink and then drink from it, do you thoroughly (or at all) wash the can first? No? Didn't think so, most people don't. Now think about the journey that can has made, unprotected, since it left the factory. How many greasy spotty people have touched the lip of it whilst packing/unpacking/stacking it on a shelf ... suddenly, the thought of a glass that has been rinsed and cleaned rather than properly washed doesn't seem quite so bad does it ... !!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='511687' date='Dec 29 2007, 02:08 PM
Another question ... and be honest ... when you open a can of drink and then drink from it, do you thoroughly (or at all) wash the can first? No? Didn't think so, most people don't. Now think about the journey that can has made, unprotected, since it left the factory. How many greasy spotty people have touched the lip of it whilst packing/unpacking/stacking it on a shelf ... suddenly, the thought of a glass that has been rinsed and cleaned rather than properly washed doesn't seem quite so bad does it ... !!
Actually I generally give cans a wipe with a napkin and I make sure to get inside the inner lip of the can. I did this while I was in Bangalore India this year and I received blank stares from my hosts. The can was so nasty that I had to wipe it a few times. The cans in the US pale in comparison to what I found in India. To be honest, I'm not one to mind a little dirt, it's the other `stuff' that I don't care for.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think we've established something very clear here...

Everyone who's seen the videos posted above of the hotel glasses is appalled and will surely think again before placig their lips on another one -- except Russ. Russ seems fine with things the way they are...
Old 12-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='511811' date='Dec 30 2007, 12:05 AM
except Russ. Russ seems fine with things the way they are...
Hehe yep! Seriously though, I think people need to stop and think and put things in to perspective... like I said, there are millions of people in the world who would love to drink from a glass in a hotel that hasn't quite been cleaned properly. That would be a thousand times better than what they have at the moment. Be grateful for what you have!

Quick Reply: Travel or stay in hotels frequently? You gotta see this!