Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Top Gear America

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with pjinca. I watched a bit of it. It was pretty boring compared to the original. Tanner Foust can drive but he's boring. He was boring in Supercar Exposed and Battle of the Supercars. Don't think he'll be funny in TG America. I don't even know why they have a Top Gear America. I'll stick to re-runs and BBC TG.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

First thoughts the show is boring. I will give it a few more shows to see how it comes out.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributors

I've been anxiously waiting to see how they pull off the US version of Top Gear - the original is easily my favorite show. I guess I'm not alone as 60 Minutes ran a segment on TG (UK) a few weeks ago and said 350 million people from all over the globe tune in each week, making it the most watched program in the world on television.

I thought the new US episode was just OK. The quality of the filming is as good as the original, so they got that right. The Cobra test was visually stunning - for about 45 seconds - but then the girly-squeals and senseless drivel from Rutledge crashed the bit. I'm not sure he's the right guy for this.

Their test track needs better visual clues for us the viewers, although I did like the added graphic of the dot racing around the track map. But compared to what we are used to seeing on the original TG, I couldn't distinguish what was going on for either the star in the small car or the stig sessions. The Star segment was the lamest part of the show. The Lambo comparison was pretty good and shows the potential this show has. At some point I fell asleep, so they need to amp it up.

I'm certainly going to keep watching and I expect them to tweak things as they go along. Hopefully they can improves across the 10 shows this year, and then get a chance to get into a grove next season. It's going to take time for the 3 hosts to gel - and for us to get to know them.

Edmund's reports that 1.9 million viewers tuned in last night ... not bad but they need to pick up the pace.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Whats this "plymouth" u speak of john?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Ignoring the hosts for a moment, I was impressed with the show. The Lamborghini SV, SL and the LP560-4 comparo was a blast. I was impressed that the producers allowed a top speed run up to 180 mph, closed course or not. The Cobra attack helicopter footage in the air space of Griffin, GA, pop 23,000, was quite exciting, given the fact that it was in US air space.

I have the all the seasons of Top Gear UK on a USB drive, and one of my favorites is the Bugatti Veyron Vs the RAF Eurofighter Typhoon. I am happy with how the current Top Year USA started out and will be happy to watch it grow.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

The second episode showed an improvement between the hosts. Sure they're still a little wooden, but it's showing promise. I enjoyed the episode quite a lot. It makes up for the fact that Top Gear UK is producing much less shows than it did years ago. Around 2003-2005, they were making 18-20 episodes a year. Now it's 12-14 episodes a year.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Yea this second episode was better....starting to poke a little fun at each other...

But the sad part is that they are just re-doing all of the challenges that have been done many years ago.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Didn't bother to watch the new episode. Then yesterday they replayed the road trip through Alabama on BBC TG (the original) and that reiterated the reason why TG America will never work, they will never have the balls to do an episode like that.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

I think the hosts will get more comfortable with themselves in the show. The commentary on the first episode reminded me a little of the Motorweek TV show.

My big gripe was with the filming. Gradient filters aside, the in-car camera is horrible. The Chromatic aberration and vibration was enough to make me sick watching the show and I'm not someone who gets motion sick.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

What is Tanner Foust talking about - that drifting was "discovered" in the '70s? Racers have been drifting since they put four wheels on a track.

Quick Reply: Top Gear America