Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

I like the UK version better. I guess I'm too used to watching the show with Jeremy Clarkson. The Vietnam episode with the scooter is one of most entertaining episode.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

I enjoy watching U.S. top gear since its still the same gist: nice cars, interesting challenges, and its fun. That being said, nothing beats the real top gear with Clarkson, Hammond, and captain slow... their chemistry and the way they write their own scripts that naturally flow together is something that just has a certain energy about it thats charismatic and the way they joke around, youre watching friends mess with each other and and the resulting show is funny and anyone can enjoy it. Best show ever made... IMHO
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Top Gear UK rules of course. The US version has a massive job to live up to, but then so did the American version of The Office, which ended up being preferred by a lot of people. I liked the US version quite a lot, it would make it into my Top 50 current shows. Top Gear UK is in my top 10 all time shows, but top 50 current ain't bad.

The thing the US version has going against it, is that the rest of us have 9 years now of the UK trio. They're like our mates that we hang out with. We're used to their quirks and humour.

I bet if you took a random selection of people who've never seen either show, don't know any of the presenters, and got their reactions, it would be pretty close.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Top Gear UK rules of course. The US version has a massive job to live up to, but then so did the American version of The Office, which ended up being preferred by a lot of people. I liked the US version quite a lot, it would make it into my Top 50 current shows. Top Gear UK is in my top 10 all time shows, but top 50 current ain't bad.

The thing the US version has going against it, is that the rest of us have 9 years now of the UK trio. They're like our mates that we hang out with. We're used to their quirks and humour.

I bet if you took a random selection of people who've never seen either show, don't know any of the presenters, and got their reactions, it would be pretty close.
in re: the Office, 2 words: Steve Carrell, nuff said.

One of the main things I like about UK Topgear is their lack of concern for how the auto makers like their reviews. They are blunt, honest, sarcastic and funny. They'll tell you a car is total crap without a single qualm, and typically the next time they test the same car the auto maker has made significant improvements.
In the US we have traditionally had shows like Motorweek, who have NEVER seen a car they didn't like. Criticism is taboo or almost so, they will say things like "the back seat is a tad cramped for 3 adults" - that's it. My worry is: Will US Topgear have the balls to criticize cars the same way? Based on what I've seen so far with the bland hosts, probably not.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
In the US we have traditionally had shows like Motorweek, who have NEVER seen a car they didn't like. Criticism is taboo or almost so, they will say things like "the back seat is a tad cramped for 3 adults" - that's it. My worry is: Will US Topgear have the balls to criticize cars the same way? Based on what I've seen so far with the bland hosts, probably not.
They did (in a couple of the episodes) say some bad things about some cars, but it was usually mild (like the Motorweek 3 adults in the back seat example you mentioned). In the rare cases where they said something worse than that, it was usually tempered with, but it has its good points too. No outright attacks like Jeremy likes to do (Vauxhall Vectra stands out as the most attacked).
Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My son-in-law turned me on to the UK "Top Gear" show and I found it an interesting show.

But I just haven't been able to get too psyched about the US rendition ... might take me some time as I try to compare and contrast to the UK edition and that might be unfair.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
AJH
Members

I loved the show when they were in America eating road-kill - pure genious.

I havn't seen the American version of the show, but I would imagine it would be hard to re-create the chemistry that they have on the original.

My favourite program of all time.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

British Top Gear is a classic in the making...nuff said.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by AJH
I loved the show when they were in America eating road-kill - pure genious.

I havn't seen the American version of the show, but I would imagine it would be hard to re-create the chemistry that they have on the original.

My favourite program of all time.
IYHO
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
AJH
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
IYHO