Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

No, I'm not writing this for sympathy, I just wanted to show a couple of pictures of my helmet in case anyone still thinks that helmets are not cool when riding a bike.

As some of you know, I'm training for a 100-mile bike ride for the fight against cancer. Just last Sunday, I and a small group of riders were training on the hilly section of the course. While going down hill at about 35 MPH, I tried to avoid a pothole that snuck up on me real fast and I hit sand around it. At that point, the bike slid under me and I went tumbling down for about 30 feet (I was told). I remembered reading that in case of a fall, you just let your whole body go limp and let gravity take over. I did just that and with a little luck, I was able to avoid oncoming traffic and serious injury. One of my fellow rider wrote to me saying that they thought I was going to experience major trauma and possibly die by the way I was bouncing and my head was hitting the pavement.

A few days later, I am glad to be alive and I have a renewed love of life and everyone, no matter their color, gender, religious views, sexual preferences, etc. None of that shit matters if you're no longer around.

Anyway, I learned a few things, 1) I should familiarize myself with my new road bike before pushing it hard. This is my first road bike after riding a hybrid for 20 years and am learning that their handling is much quicker and quirkier than a hybrid. 2) Never ride fast on unfamiliar roads, and 3) helmets really save lives.

As for me, I was checked out at the hospital and everything came back negative. I just bruised a hip, a knee, an elbow, a shoulder and my right rib cage feels like somebody stabs me whenever I try to get up or even try to blow my nose. Surprisingly, my bike looks as brand new as it was before the crash. Save for a scuffed up rubber hood and a bent brake handle, you can't really tell it was involved in a crash. My bike shop is going over it thoroughly and I just can't wait to resume training and my fundraiser to help cancer patients lead longer and better lives and to help prevent more deaths due to this dreadful disease.

I love all of you with all your differences and, of course our common love of our E60s.

Joe

Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH-img_0277.jpg

Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH-img_0278.jpg

OK, one of me at the hospital smiling and thinking how great it felt to be alive.

Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH-215697_1984433215053_1369932004_2325073_547185_n.jpg
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Very glad to hear you're okay - got lucky there Buddy. Good luck in your continued training for a great cause, and good luck in the ride.

As for you new found love of life? I still hate you - you're a Red Sox/Pats fan

Seriously, get well soon Bro
Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok! Get better soon!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Very happy things are not as bad as they could of been! Keep smiling bro!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Glad to see you're in relatively one piece. Accidents like this can easily lead to broken collar bones or arms. Heal up and get back on the bike!

BTW what type of bike do you have? I myself have a 2006 Cannondale Six13.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Joe! Amen brother! Glad to see you made it okay.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

glad to hear the outcome was good!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I'm glad to read that you were smart enough to wear a helmet and survive your spill! As the old saying goes, "If you've got a five dollar head, wear a five dollar helmet!" Too many Darwin Award contestants in this world would NOT have worn a helmet at all!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Glad to see your okay gramps. I wish you a speedy recovery!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pjinca
Very glad to hear you're okay - got lucky there Buddy. Good luck in your continued training for a great cause, and good luck in the ride.

As for you new found love of life? I still hate you - you're a Red Sox/Pats fan
Go Steelers!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by stoic1
Glad to see you're in relatively one piece. Accidents like this can easily lead to broken collar bones or arms. Heal up and get back on the bike!

BTW what type of bike do you have? I myself have a 2006 Cannondale Six13.
I got a 2011 Trek 2.3. Their tag line is "Just like Lance's, in aluminum" LOL It's a pretty quick bike, compared to my old Hybrid (Cannondale H400). This was my 11th ride on it since I bought it, in February. From my experience, it seems to be a very sturdy bike, or maybe the planets were aligned just right so that it would survive a pretty hard crash with almost no damage whatsoever. I really need to stop trying to improve my avg. speed and just focus on learning its characteristics and spend lots of time on the saddle to do the Century at a comfortable and safe pace.

This is what I bought:

Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH-img_6923.jpg

Maybe this is what I should have bought:

Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH-pink-tricycle.jpg

Realistically, this is what I should buy, in case it happens again:

Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH-ttr-toilettricycle.jpg

-----------------

I thank everyone for the well-wishes and kind words of encouragement. That was my wake-up call, and I feel like I just received another chance at life and I'm going to make a few changes including the way I drive. April 10th could have been my last day on earth and I will try to live my life as if it were my last day, everyday; minus the pain.

Quick Reply: Took a nasty spill at 35 MPH