Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Tired having Comcast tell me how fast their service is!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've been a Comcast Internet customer for probably 10 years. But now that I demand more consistent service quality their infrastructure just doesn't seem to be able to deliver.

For example, their cable in the area I live is the same crap that was hung on poles when the service first became available. Just on my street alone they have pieced together and patched bad cable to try and maintain service. But it's always a patch here and there ... mostly when me or a neighbor complain that QOS #s [quality of service], or upload/download speeds, become erratic.

I get the same old crap ... "they can see my modem" ... I reply, if you like I have a digital image of it but it's take 30 minutes to upload it and send by email if you don't FIX THE SERVICE!! And because I have VOIP phones 3-4x a week calls drop or my phone service craps out.

So, they trot out and replace connectors and patch bad cables on the poles etc etc etc. And they keep doing the same crap ... Comcast's infrastructure is by today's standards ANCIENT!! And now that there is finally some competition I don't know if they will get a clue

So, Verizon Fios has some new fiber out here ... and though their prices are considerably higher than Comcast I'm giving it thought.

One of my questions is about the easiest way to migrate 3-4 email addresses that have been for example xyz@ comcast.net. I could blast a change of address to my address books but that may not catch everyone the first time around and I don't want to pay Comcast for an extra 2-3 months to set up an auto-reply in my email box. My account notifications (bank, credit card, etc will be easy to update).

Maybe U should move to everything to new gmail addresses now and start the migration after FIOS after some time to see if it meets my needs.

I know I can count on the wise posters here to offer advice.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Contributors

if you think comcast customer service is bad, just wait until you have verizon FIOS
Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='948083' date='Jul 20 2009, 08:19 PM
if you think comcast customer service is bad, just wait until you have verizon FIOS
... OMG ... don't tell me that!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='948081' date='Jul 20 2009, 08:08 PM
I've been a Comcast Internet customer for probably 10 years. But now that I demand more consistent service quality their infrastructure just doesn't seem to be able to deliver.

For example, their cable in the area I live is the same crap that was hung on poles when the service first became available. Just on my street alone they have pieced together and patched bad cable to try and maintain service. But it's always a patch here and there ... mostly when me or a neighbor complain that QOS #s [quality of service], or upload/download speeds, become erratic.

I get the same old crap ... "they can see my modem" ... I reply, if you like I have a digital image of it but it's take 30 minutes to upload it and send by email if you don't FIX THE SERVICE!! And because I have VOIP phones 3-4x a week calls drop or my phone service craps out.

So, they trot out and replace connectors and patch bad cables on the poles etc etc etc. And they keep doing the same crap ... Comcast's infrastructure is by today's standards ANCIENT!! And now that there is finally some competition I don't know if they will get a clue

So, Verizon Fios has some new fiber out here ... and though their prices are considerably higher than Comcast I'm giving it thought.

One of my questions is about the easiest way to migrate 3-4 email addresses that have been for example xyz@ comcast.net. I could blast a change of address to my address books but that may not catch everyone the first time around and I don't want to pay Comcast for an extra 2-3 months to set up an auto-reply in my email box. My account notifications (bank, credit card, etc will be easy to update).

Maybe U should move to everything to new gmail addresses now and start the migration after FIOS after some time to see if it meets my needs.

I know I can count on the wise posters here to offer advice.

I have had FIOS for 2 months now and I am very happy that I got rid of COX communications. I'm not sure how it is where you are, but I'm spending $50 less a month with FIOS and get more content with my 3 HDTV's thank I did with COX. Also my internet speed is 20/5 which is blazing fast! I have Vonage with no issues ever.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

FIOS Service (at least, interent and TV) is considerably superior to that of comcast.

FIOS uses GPON
Comcast is currently deploying DOCSIS 3.0.

If you have VoIP through comcast you should NOT have issues with upload/speeds while being on the phone.
Comcast "digital voice" uses a completely separate channel just for VoIP. I'm going to assume you're using Vonage (or simliar).

Comcast's tech support is the WORST rated of most major companies.
Verizons Billing department/system is a clusterfuck bunch of rejects.

FiOS offers SYMMETRICAL speed internet (and that's wonderful ESPECIALLY if you're uploading/emailing pictures a lot).
--> Downside, it'll cost a little more, but if you're constantly uploading/on a VPN like me, it's worth it.

I doubt comcast will let you keep your email box, but it never hurts to ask.

I never create email boxes with ISPs, I typically stick with a 3rd party like Google, or my exchange server I setup.

Any questions, just post them out. There's plenty of people smarter than me on these forums.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributors

i actually signed up for verizon FiOS. i was pressured into it by a door to door salesman. i am atech geek, so i DID want the fastest internet, so it wasnt too hard of a sale, but i felt like i was dealing with a sheister car salesman. i agreed to make an appointement for an install. i did some research as soon as the guy left about FiOS, and i heard HORROR stories about their customer service AND their television. the internet is a plus over anything else you can get, but that is it.

I called verizon and told them i was not interested. they told me I already agreed to the install. i told them i changed my mind. they told me i had no choice, i got into a yelling match, i eventually told them, fine, send them out, i will not answer the door and you are wasting your techs time. they sent out another salesman instead. i told them i wasnt interested (nicely, because this salesman didnt know what i had already been through, not his fault). he then accuses me of being a racist. (because he was black he assumed that i wouldnt want cable from him or something). he left and they sent a white guy back about 30 mins later. i did not answer the door.

anyhow, my story is not unusual. google is your friend...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I heard from my neighbor who switched to FIOS that the service is not that much better than Comcast. And there is currently a class action against Verizon. Because the service promised was not there but the monthly fee is higher than what was advertised. Anyway, that's main reason why I haven't switched. I was sold when it first came out. But not anymore. GL with your decision.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the input ... I'll continue to read this post until it goes stale. As an FYI, my VOIP phones are neither Comcast nor Vonage; I went VOIP before those were available.

I should have posted a poll but didn't think about that until it was too late
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

I've found good information on dslreports.com for these kinds of internet provider issues...

Good luck,
Randy...
Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5

Cool

Quick Reply: Tired having Comcast tell me how fast their service is!!