Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Texas Introduces 85mph Speed Limit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...154924311.html

The dumbass politicians and insurance weenies don't get it. Building a suitable road for high speed driving is only PART the equation. There needs to be better driver training and there still needs to be something in place to vet the car to make sure it's capable of going that fast without posing a threat to anyone else.

I can picture some moron flying down the road with a donut spare and oil leaking from under the car while texting already....
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

I could've sworn that was the speed limit on the NJ Garden State Parkway...

Anyways.. Speed limit doesn't have much to do with being a good driver/bad driver. A bad driver will cause havoc regardless of speed. I've always felt the safest speed is the one that everyone else is going.

As I joked about above.. People drive fast on the GS Parkway. Which is good and bad.. Good since that means I can follow the pack of fast-moving cars and feel safe (both from other drivers and cops). Bad because the person who's the fully law-abiding citizen and going the posted (55 mph) speed limit is in a considerable more amount of risk being on that road, even if on the right-ish lanes.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by pukka
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...154924311.html

The dumbass politicians and insurance weenies don't get it. Building a suitable road for high speed driving is only PART the equation. There needs to be better driver training and there still needs to be something in place to vet the car to make sure it's capable of going that fast without posing a threat to anyone else.

I can picture some moron flying down the road with a donut spare and oil leaking from under the car while texting already....

HAHAHAHA, still hopefully the bad drivers will eliminate themselves only and therefore prove Darwin right
Not sure about having a higher speed limit in any state that has drive thru liquor stores, but hey, I am sort of a Libertarian here. I don;t think there should be speed limits at all. There's a reason the Germans resisted putting cupholders in our cars, because on the Autobahn it's inconceivable to have a sip of coffee at 150+ mph.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Nice, thats right where I live
Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by pjinca
There's a reason the Germans resisted putting cupholders in our cars, because on the Autobahn it's inconceivable to have a sip of coffee at 150+ mph.
I think you forgot that cup holders are standard everywhere else in the world except the US! I don't think it has anything to do with speed, more likely something to do with people spilling sueing and winning.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.

haha i use that toll road all most every other week! i thoght 100mph and up was the speed limit on that thing.. hmm

Not sure how i feel about all the drivers around here cruzing at a small 85mph
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

Funny I just did my senior research paper on this topic... In short, Americans drive like sh*t in general, in order to increase speed limits (which can be safely done), law enforcement officers need to place more of an emphasis on keeping right except to pass rather than just speeding. All but six states have a law of some sort pertaining to lane choice, but they are not enforced as much as speed limits are. With drivers in the appropriate lanes and training improved, as mentioned above, speed limits can then be safely increased. I could go on forever explaining the faults of the interstate system and why it is the way it is but I dont want to re-type several pages
Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Contributors

on the Autobahn it's inconceivable to have a sip of coffee at 150+ mph.
Challenge Accepted !! and I'll take a photo of the coffee and the speedometer with my other hand
Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Challenge Accepted !! and I'll take a photo of the coffee and the speedometer with my other hand
I'd love to see that, you being able to take a photo of you sipping coffee and the speedo at 150mph would be classic, just be careful Bud
Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Contributors

I'd love to see that, you being able to take a photo of you sipping coffee and the speedo at 150mph would be classic, just be careful Bud
Pretty confident I could do it, but no longer stupid enough to do it. Fifteen years ago, when I took this (on the way to 186mph), I'd probably have done it.

Name:  EGtTK.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  174.3 KB

Quick Reply: Texas Introduces 85mph Speed Limit