Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Telepéage system for French Autoroutes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:42 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

Useful info for European owners ....... particularly those regularly travelling to France from nearby countries such as the UK. I was recommended this system by members of another forum I regularly frequent.

The toll roads in France are financed by differing commercial bodies, but there appears to be an inter-company agreement over the use and method of payment collection enabling an automatic transponder to be used across the majority of routes - the only ones not included on the system I've used are in the Mont-Blanc area.

The transponder that I use is supplied by www.Sanef.fr. The website is only in French but it's fairly straightforward to navigate through to order a transponder using a credit card. Basically, Sanef charge a 30 Euro deposit for the equipment, then charge 2 Euros per month, but only for the month in which tolls are charged - ie. if you only travel to France for 1 trip you are only charged 2 Euros per month that you are there, plus obviously the toll charge for the road being used.

It's so simple to use it defies belief - equipment arrived (no extra charges for sending to UK!) and there's no registering involved etc. The kit just sits on the dashboard and as you pass through the toll plaza it beeps so you know it's registered. You can even log onto the net to check your account.

Amazingly I found on a recent trip to Paris that I was one of only a few cars using the telep?age channel at the tolls - I don't think the locals have tuned into it yet, or maybe they just like queueing! It's also a benefit when travelling alone because it doesn't matter that our UK cars are right hand drive

Definately worth investigating.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Sounds like our E-Z pass system we have here in the northeast U.S.A. for the last 10 years, is this new to france?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='271727' date='Apr 20 2006, 05:45 PM
Sounds like our E-Z pass system we have here in the northeast U.S.A. for the last 10 years, is this new to france?
Many countries have this. I hope we can get an european standard. In Norway we can travel around having a single ship on the inside on our windshield, at the back of the rearview mirror. This chip registers all our movements through these checkpoints. I have them autodeduct the money from my account to, I`ve taken checks and the deductions are always correct. It`S a very easy way of travelling toll roads
Old 04-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='271725' date='Apr 20 2006, 05:42 PM
The transponder that I use is supplied by www.Sanef.fr. The website is only in French but it's fairly straightforward to navigate through to order a transponder using a credit card. Basically, Sanef charge a 30 Euro deposit for the equipment, then charge 2 Euros per month, but only for the month in which tolls are charged - ie. if you only travel to France for 1 trip you are only charged 2 Euros per month that you are there, plus obviously the toll charge for the road being used.
Definately worth investigating.
Thanks - I do only 2 trips to France a year, but especially in summer the passage marked with t is the fast lane. If this is indeed only 2 euro extra charge only when used, it is worth the gain in time
Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

Tommy - this is the whole point

I've been aware of similar systems in other countries for many years, but never the concept of a "visitor" being able to use the same system as the residents. I really coundn't believe that they didn't even charge me extra postage to send the transponder to the UK!
I normally visit France only once per year (usually for the Le Mans 24 hour race and in an impractically low 2 seater sports car ) but this year it looks like it's going to be 3 trips so I wanted to get set up as early as possible. Even for only a single trip each year it would appear to be worthwhile.

I've not had chance to check my Visa bill yet to assess the whole cost, but the fact that the exchange rate is always better when using a credit card will eat into the 2 Euro cost anyway - not that I'm really fussed about it when the considering the extra convenience. I'll smile the day it's raining heavy and I don't need to drop the window
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Thx for the tip. I often travel to France with my car in the summer so I will check it out!! Thank you!!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I was thinking... Does this cover the hole french highway system?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

your better than me a french then , i cant figure the site out at all
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Let me help you. I speak french.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

This does sound good.
But can Big Brother (or Grand Frere ) then see what you've been up to on the Autoroute ?

Quick Reply: Telepéage system for French Autoroutes