Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

"Talk to your doctor about..."

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some medicines are neccessary and do positive things. i know a few people on anti-deppressants and I feel that it is completely neccessary while unfortunate they need it in the first place.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by craigm1841
some medicines are neccessary and do positive things. i know a few people on anti-deppressants and I feel that it is completely neccessary while unfortunate they need it in the first place.
Absolutely, but peddling "new and improved" drugs to them through "are you feeling sad?" ads is only adding to the problem. Which is two-fold: psychological trauma/disorders and sanctioned substance abuse. And while some may argue that substance abuse is preferable to psychological disorders, no one can seriously argue that either is ultimately good. How about those depressing TV spots that urge senior citizens to "call now!" for a reverse mortgage, all-accepted life insurance, or those life alert systems...

Another way to look at it: what do you think that target viewer for anti-depressant manufacturer will feel/think when he sees those abused animals or "sponsor a child" commercials? Compound that with unemployment and some show, like MTV cribs, that shows off how lavish life could be, and this person will be ready to kill in the next traffic jam... oh, but they don't advertise weapons, right?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Absolutely, but peddling "new and improved" drugs to them through "are you feeling sad?" ads is only adding to the problem. Which is two-fold: psychological trauma/disorders and sanctioned substance abuse. And while some may argue that substance abuse is preferable to psychological disorders, no one can seriously argue that either is ultimately good. How about those depressing TV spots that urge senior citizens to "call now!" for a reverse mortgage, all-accepted life insurance, or those life alert systems...

Another way to look at it: what do you think that target viewer for anti-depressant manufacturer will feel/think when he sees those abused animals or "sponsor a child" commercials? Compound that with unemployment and some show, like MTV cribs, that shows off how lavish life could be, and this person will be ready to kill in the next traffic jam... oh, but they don't advertise weapons, right?
I agree with you- I was just pointing out that some people need it.

Personally, Tobacco companies shouldn't be allowed to advertise in magazines either, look what they are peddling and it inarguably serves NO beneifit whatsoever.

If you live in America, have an idea and have a lot of money (Medicine, Tobacco, Finance) you can pretty much get away with raping a puppy in front of kindergardeners and the government will turn a blind eye. I am not for regulating the private sector, but some things are bad for us as a society. We are an overmedicated, chain smoking, hamburger eating, society that steals from vulnerable old people.

The hamburger thing was thrown in for good measure. On the flip side.... Big Tobacco isn't forcing anyone to smoke, pfizer isn't forcing meds down peoples throats, burger king isn't tying people and force feeding them hamburgers, and nobody told the geezers to not properly save for retirement.

so whos fault is this? The companies for peddling things that aren't good for you- That is capitalism at its finest, Government lack of regulating these dirtbags, which is in line with the libertarian agenda, the capitalist to the extreme- or the people being unable to properly regulate their own free will, which goes against... dare I say, gods agenda.