Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Which SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, Premium Package, Cold package.

We are having our first baby in October and my wife wants to get rid of the e60 and buy an SUV with third row seating. I am trying to convince her to hold on to the e60 a bit longer bc i love the car and i don't even know which suv i would get. Please help me in making a decision based on your experiences or taste (e60 drivers will definitely have good taste ) The only ones that come to my mind are mdx, 4runner, lexus GX 470, pilot (boring), lr3. I am not interested in any ford or gm products. thanks in advance for your help
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

The new BMW X5 is presumed to have a third row (it's gonna get bigger). I think it is due at the end of 2006 but I could be wrong.

This will save you some time to hold on to your E60 longer..
Old 08-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Well, we had an MDX until recently and traded it in for an X5! Actually really liked the MDX, but with my wife driving my 545 on occasion, she has developed a taste for better handling SUV. And the MDX was now out of warranty, so...

Oh, and congrats on the baby! But one child does not justify an SUV. I drive my two kids in my 5 all the time. When its adult time, both Britax car seats fit in the trunk easily! Of course, no food or drinks allowed for the kids, so my wife's X5 gets most longer haul duty. As for the third row of seats, nice to have I guess, but I think we used the third row 3 or 4 times in the 4+ years we owned the MDX. While it was nice to have on those VERY rare occasions, I would not choose my SUV based on whether it has the third row of seats.

Functionally, operationally, the MDX was great. Never had a breakdown or other issue. Just brought it in for regular service when the light came on.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Members

kscarrol, thanks for your advise. I do agree that one child does not justify an suv but we do have my parents and my wife's parents visit us often (from India) and that's why she wants a bigger vehicle. There is no way in hell I am getting a van .
Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 10 2005, 02:47 PM
Well, we had an MDX until recently and traded it in for an X5!? Actually really liked the MDX, but with my wife driving my 545 on occasion, she has developed a taste for better handling SUV.? And the MDX was now out of warranty, so...

Oh, and congrats on the baby!? But one child does not justify an SUV.? I drive my two kids in my 5 all the time.? When its adult time, both Britax car seats fit in the trunk easily!? Of course, no food or drinks allowed for the kids, so my wife's X5 gets most longer haul duty.? As for the third row of seats, nice to have I guess, but I think we used the third row 3 or 4 times in the 4+ years we owned the MDX.? While it was nice to have on those VERY rare occasions, I would not choose my SUV based on whether it has the third row of seats.

Functionally, operationally, the MDX was great.? Never had a breakdown or other issue.? Just brought it in for regular service when the light came on.
[snapback]158003[/snapback]
Old 08-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a smooth SUV, X5 is good but storage space is small compared to others. MDX is a good choice (looks more musculine), RX330 is a good one, too, but it's just wayyyyy too femine.
If you need a good 3rd row seat w/ alot of storage space, Toyota Sienna or Honda Odessey is way to go.
I bought RX330 before having my first baby, but I found it better with sedan E60.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by bmw525i' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:53 PM
kscarrol, thanks for your advise. I do agree that one child does not justify an suv but we do have my parents and my wife's parents visit us often (from India) and that's why she wants a bigger vehicle. There is no way in hell I am getting a van? .
[snapback]158007[/snapback]
Understood! Keep in mind that in all these SUV, the third row is small and fitting adults back there can be very uncomfortable for longer trips. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Auto/Prem/Xenon/Nav/Sirius

We own an SUV (04 Jeep Grand Cherokee), but I just leased an E60 as my main wheels 5 months AFTER the birth of our first child.

For our decision, E60 over Jeep:
- Far more rear seat room for child seats even with front seat fully back (many SUVs sacrifice rear legroom for cargo space, and 3rd row seating - which is USELESS for car seats etc.)
- Better safety by a huge margin
- Quieter (you won't believe this for the first 3 months, but babies do actually sleep)
- Easier access to rear seats - wide door opening, wheel arch not in way, LOWER (try securing the car seat with baby in it when it's at chest level)
- Rear a/c (many SUVs have this too)
- Believe it or not, but I can get a full-size folding stroller plus two medium suitcases in the back of the E60 plus plenty of room for smaller bags - a feat not possible in the Jeep without risking items flying into the passanger compartment under heavy braking. Any SUV with 3rd row, cept maybe a Suburban has sod all luggage space.

Now clearly, the e60 can't do some of the things my Jeep could: carry a 36" TV in box, or 10 sheets of drywall on the roof, or 2x4s in the cabin, etc. So we're going to keep an SUV in the household, but the car of choice for moving the baby and general duties is the 5.

And lets face it, unless you have triplets straight off, you ain't going to need more capacity until the 3rd one comes along. And three cars seats is VAN territory my man.

Originally Posted by bmw525i' date='Aug 10 2005, 12:36 PM
We are having our first baby in October and my wife wants to get rid of the e60 and buy an SUV with third row seating. I am trying to convince her to hold on to the e60 a bit longer bc i love the car and i don't even know which suv i would get. Please help me in making a decision based on your experiences or taste (e60 drivers will definitely have good taste? ) The only ones that come to my mind are mdx, 4runner, lexus GX 470, pilot (boring), lr3. I am not interested in any ford or gm products. thanks in advance for your help?
[snapback]157997[/snapback]
Old 08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributors

We too have a new baby - 6 months old already - and my wife drives the RX 330. Someone mentioned it is too feminine - you don't say if there is another car in the family. I agree the RX 330 is not very manly but I have been married long enough to understand that a happy mommy/wife makes the rest of the world a piece of cake. We love the RX 330 and I would probably buy it again - but I drive it to the car wash with my son on weekends - other than that - we are in my 545.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Members

Sorry, my other car is an infiniti G35
Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Nissan Armada (the big one with the 5.6L V8) 0-60 in 7.0 seconds

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelHom...odelName=armada

Jeep Commander with the Hemi V8 (newest model - very cool and high tech)

http://www.jeep.com/commander/home_flash.h...ction=&edirect=

Used G-Wagon. (Benz)

Quick Reply: Which SUV?