Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Stock Market = Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i love those cartoons. so funny
Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Contributors

60 Minutes was interesting last night; the show dealt with everything we are discussing in this thread. All of the financial experts interviewed think this is just first half of the bursting bubble ; the worst has yet to hit and will take a few years to normalize. One of the experts interviewed thought the $700 billion needed asap was just the start ; he was thinking they will need at least $2 trillion total..... what a sad state of affairs.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Here are some comments on this subject from Ron Paul, Congressman 14th District of Texas

http://www.house.gov/htbin/blog_inc?BLOG,t...ingdetail.shtml

Posted in wrong thread, I will copy to else where ... sorry about that.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='745706' date='Dec 15 2008, 02:48 PM
Here are some comments on this subject from Ron Paul, Congressman 14th District of Texas

http://www.house.gov/htbin/blog_inc?BLOG,t...ingdetail.shtml

Posted in wrong thread, I will copy to else where ... sorry about that.

Sixcard,

This one's for you! Enjoy.

Stock Market = Crazy-sixcard.jpg
Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by garylewa' post='744613' date='Dec 13 2008, 01:17 PM
a problem with the Big 3 now; they aren't selling cars
Not really true - GM is still selling more vehicles than any other manufacturer on the planet. It's not that their products are selling poorly. The issue is that in certain key markets that can't sell them profitably. A completely different proposition. GM's issue is cost, not revenue. Toyota sells slightly fewer cars, but it sells them profitably.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='744594' date='Dec 13 2008, 12:17 PM
Problem is: WHO determines what amount is excessive and/or WHO determines how much is needed?
The Obama Administration???
Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Did see this shit coming 1,5 years ago.

Ain't this fun now, I'm having a ball.

I just sits and waits for better times, maybe I starts to buy next spring, or then maybe not.

At least the loan rates are now close to nothing, but that doesn't help much...

some
Old 12-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='746185' date='Dec 16 2008, 01:02 AM
Not really true - GM is still selling more vehicles than any other manufacturer on the planet. It's not that their products are selling poorly. The issue is that in certain key markets that can't sell them profitably. A completely different proposition. GM's issue is cost, not revenue. Toyota sells slightly fewer cars, but it sells them profitably.
I agree with your above statement "GM is still selling more vehicles than any other manufacturer on the planet." But as for their products not selling poorly....See below.
From USA Today 12-508:
"General Motors' (GM) sales tumbled 41.3%, Ford Motor's fell 30.5%, and Chrysler's were off 47.1%, adding to the deep financial distress on the day their CEOs presented plans to Congress to make their case for a bailout. In contrast to past declines, Japan's three biggest auto brands in the U.S. hit the same trouble. Toyota (tm) cratered 33.9%, Honda was whacked 31.6%, and Nissan flattened 42.2%. With sales still falling ? November sales were about 90,000 fewer than October's ? the industry is likely to start 2009 in an even deeper hole and continue to be unable to curtail production fast enough. "We cannot operate at these levels, or the entire industry is going to go down," warned GM sales analyst Michael DiGiovanni. GM's Saab unit, for instance, sold only 852 vehicles for the month, less than half the year-ago sales. Every big automaker, foreign and domestic, took a drubbing."

Then to balance the argument (to show I'm not one-sided); from CNN MONEY (September):
"General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) reported that sales of cars and light trucks dropped 16% from a year ago. That was better than the forecast of a 24% decline from sales tracker Edmunds.com but it was still clearly a sign of weaken demand.
Still GM executives said they were pleased with the results.
"September marked the second consecutive month where GM performed extremely well in tough market conditions," said Mark LaNeve, the GM vice president in charge of North American sales.
Sales of GM's cars fell 10% while sales of light trucks - such as pickups, SUVs and vans - declined 19%.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by garylewa' post='746838' date='Dec 16 2008, 06:49 PM
I agree with your above statement "GM is still selling more vehicles than any other manufacturer on the planet." But as for their products not selling poorly....See below.
From USA Today 12-508:
"General Motors' (GM) sales tumbled 41.3%, Ford Motor's fell 30.5%, and Chrysler's were off 47.1%, adding to the deep financial distress on the day their CEOs presented plans to Congress to make their case for a bailout. In contrast to past declines, Japan's three biggest auto brands in the U.S. hit the same trouble. Toyota (tm) cratered 33.9%, Honda was whacked 31.6%, and Nissan flattened 42.2%. With sales still falling ? November sales were about 90,000 fewer than October's ? the industry is likely to start 2009 in an even deeper hole and continue to be unable to curtail production fast enough. "We cannot operate at these levels, or the entire industry is going to go down," warned GM sales analyst Michael DiGiovanni. GM's Saab unit, for instance, sold only 852 vehicles for the month, less than half the year-ago sales. Every big automaker, foreign and domestic, took a drubbing."

Then to balance the argument (to show I'm not one-sided); from CNN MONEY (September):
"General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) reported that sales of cars and light trucks dropped 16% from a year ago. That was better than the forecast of a 24% decline from sales tracker Edmunds.com but it was still clearly a sign of weaken demand.
Still GM executives said they were pleased with the results.
"September marked the second consecutive month where GM performed extremely well in tough market conditions," said Mark LaNeve, the GM vice president in charge of North American sales.
Sales of GM's cars fell 10% while sales of light trucks - such as pickups, SUVs and vans - declined 19%.
You still need to put everything into context. All those numbers show is that everyone's sales are down. You can't call out the Big 3 on that point - they're far from alone in this respect, and they're not the worst performers. As for GM, irrespective of falling sales, they are still selling more cars than other manufacturers. I only posted that point as there is a general mis-perception that Detroit's problems are driven a long term lack of demand because they build cars that no one wants to buy. That's not really the case. As I said in my earlier post, it's the level of profitability that is driving their issues, not the level of sales themselves.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='746907' date='Dec 17 2008, 06:14 AM
You still need to put everything into context. All those numbers show is that everyone's sales are down. You can't call out the Big 3 on that point - they're far from alone in this respect, and they're not the worst performers. As for GM, irrespective of falling sales, they are still selling more cars than other manufacturers. I only posted that point as there is a general mis-perception that Detroit's problems are driven a long term lack of demand because they build cars that no one wants to buy. That's not really the case. As I said in my earlier post, it's the level of profitability that is driving their issues, not the level of sales themselves.

The history of cars in Mo Town with it's surroundings is coming now down and hard, that's fore sure.

This just will be such a big bang, that we have never seen in some 80 years.

Thanks to "some free economical" thinking in the US political top.

When did brainy people understand, that man is basically only a stupid greedy animal?

Quick Reply: Stock Market = Crazy