Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Stock Market = Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Some good thoughts, ks ...

If I have a piece of crap to sell, and one of the government educated dumb asses (da masses) comes begging to buy it, we have a trade!

Is that trade my fault?

If that is greed, than I am greedy.

If I try sell 12,000 pieces of crap, am I greeder?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I just got HSBC few weeks ago at low price and wait until it gose up 40% in 4 years time and then I get a free F10
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='744766' date='Dec 13 2008, 11:48 PM
I am not saying there was not fault on both sides, but stop generalizing all banks and mortgage brokers are totally at fault when it takes two to tango. Why didn't borrowers say I can't afford this $400,000 house on my $60,000/yr salary? Especially when the only way they can afford it is thru interest rate only mortgages, large ballon notes etc. In my mind that is just as greedy, wanting "more than is needed" to borrow from your posted definition of greed...

Were there plenty of dishonest mortgage brokers out there selling poorly educated folks these mortgages, sure. But there were plenty of folks out there who knew the bet they were making on low or falling interest rates. They made a bet and lost, no different than you buying a stock knowing the share price could fall. You can't come back after you lost and say I didn't know I could lose my money. The problem is trying to differentiate between those who were truly ignorant and those who knew what they were doing...

Edit: I am not a mortgage broker/banker though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
From my Post #13 "It is NOT the taxpayer's responsibility to bail you (the lending institution and the buyer) out". I have already stated my position on your points clearly. My issue deals with the majority of citizens being saddled with debt that we have no business being saddled with. Bottom line; as in my other Posts, I and you have stated: "They made a bet and lost", they should be the ones paying the piper. Another question to answer: Why isn't Congress calling for any of the Wall Street exec's to resign in this fiasco (Chris Dodd is being pretty vocal on calling for the Big 3's heads), besides sweeping it under the rug?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Cool

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='744880' date='Dec 14 2008, 08:37 AM
Some good thoughts, ks ...

If I have a piece of crap to sell, and one of the government educated dumb asses (da masses) comes begging to buy it, we have a trade!

Is that trade my fault?

If that is greed, than I am greedy.

If I try sell 12,000 pieces of crap, am I greeder?

Economics 101: If you sell junk to the "government educated dumb asses " (to quote you) and make a profit, fine, but if the deal goes sour and you wind up losing your tail do not expect the taxpayer to bail you out. You have three options in a free market:
1.) go belly-up
2.) restructure through the bankruptcy courts
3.) borrow, come up with a better product, sell it and be liquid

FYI: If you are such a "champion" for these bailouts, then you should have no problem paying my share of the tax burden.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by garylewa' post='744912' date='Dec 14 2008, 10:16 AM
Why isn't Congress calling for any of the Wall Street exec's to resign in this fiasco (Chris Dodd is being pretty vocal on calling for the Big 3's heads), besides sweeping it under the rug?
I agree with that. The banks have been doing the sub prime loans for years. The CEOs should be pushed aside for allowing that to continue (they were the leaders behind the greed).

The auto CEOs, weren't doing anything "wrong". They were giving the U.S. what we wanted at the time, big SUVs, and making a good profit at it. The SUV downturn has happened within the last year. It takes 3 years to design and tool up for the change in consumer wants. The CEOs shouldn't be penalized for simply not being fortune tellers.

Although, I do have to add, why did it take GM 20 years to make a car truely competitive with the Accord. The 2008 Malibu is finally on track (although I still wouldn't own one). None of the big 3 have yet to match on the compact/subcompact level. But a lot of that is because of the high union labor rates, and pension overheads, they just can't be price competitive, which is extremely important in that market.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by garylewa' post='744912' date='Dec 14 2008, 09:16 AM
From my Post #13 "It is NOT the taxpayer's responsibility to bail you (the lending institution and the buyer) out". I have already stated my position on your points clearly. My issue deals with the majority of citizens being saddled with debt that we have no business being saddled with. Bottom line; as in my other Posts, I and you have stated: "They made a bet and lost", they should be the ones paying the piper. Another question to answer: Why isn't Congress calling for any of the Wall Street exec's to resign in this fiasco (Chris Dodd is being pretty vocal on calling for the Big 3's heads), besides sweeping it under the rug?
Fair enough, I did read your post. But you seem to make out the bankers as the greedy drivers of this crisis. My only point is they did not do it alone, that "they" needs to include the greedy borrowers. I agree that we the tax payers should not be bailing out anybody. It would be painful, but let the system work and the strong will survive...

And you are absolutely right on your final point as well!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by garylewa' post='744917' date='Dec 14 2008, 10:29 AM
Economics 101: If you sell junk to the "government educated dumb asses " (to quote you) and make a profit, fine, but if the deal goes sour and you wind up losing your tail do not expect the taxpayer to bail you out. You have three options in a free market:
1.) go belly-up
2.) restructure through the bankruptcy courts
3.) borrow, come up with a better product, sell it and be liquid

FYI: If you are such a "champion" for these bailouts, then you should have no problem paying my share of the tax burden.

I regret that you missed or ignored my point. I didn't say or intend to say anything about bailouts in that post.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Did it again!

Sorry ... duplicate post.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='744939' date='Dec 14 2008, 11:11 AM
I regret that you missed or ignored my point. I didn't say or intend to say anything about bailouts in that post.
I totally understand your point. To ignore you would be rude and/or totally remiss of me and that certainly is not my intention.
See the below pics for a more humorous angle on this:

Stock Market = Crazy-banker1.jpg

Stock Market = Crazy-bottom_line1.jpg

Stock Market = Crazy-broker1.jpg

Stock Market = Crazy-scared1.jpg

Stock Market = Crazy-ms._jones1.jpg

Stock Market = Crazy-sinking1.jpg

Stock Market = Crazy-us1.jpg
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Quick Reply: Stock Market = Crazy