Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Speeding Ticket in France

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I have had a running battle with SIXT in Paris over a speeding ticket that I allegedly got while in France this past summer. Aside from overcharging me beyond my quotation on my car rental, they have now tacked a service charge on my account for providing the police my personal information for a speeding ticket.

What is the procedure in France or the EU? Are photo radar tickets mailed to the registered driver or tacked onto the rental credit card automatically? If they are mailed out, is a copy of the photo included?

Your help is appreciated.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The pictures are pretty good. But usually they don't mail them out, unless it's been requested by the defendant.
Since you have given your credit card informaation to SIXT, they can charge you with everything related to the rental of their car.
But a fine for speeding is not related to the car, it is related to the driver, so they will not and can not charge you for that.
Trying to charge you for handling the government request is shady allready, since they have to give the info to the police and can't deny this. OTOH the picture clearly shows your license plate and therefore you are responsible and that's why they charge you with this handling fee. But that's it.
Nothing else to expect.
The police now has to investigate, and that means they will mail you the ticket.
Throw it away and ignore it, unless the Canadian government and the France government have an agreement to work together. Then the ticket will be mailed from your government/police.
All they can do is to ask you to pay for, and if you don't they can put you on their watch list. So, if you're in France again and they stop you, you will not drive off unless you pay the ticket.

Relax and wait what they'll send you.
Maybe it's nothing serious and just a couple bucks hat are not worth a headache.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Thanks for the quick reply Iceman, I appreciate your advice