Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Speeding Ticket: 100+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I do believe Teriyaki about the point system. I had too many points when I was a young driver, so I undertand the California Violation code pretty well.

Not so sure about the cost of the ticket. I got a ticket for 103 mph (12 years ago, i was 18), I think it was around 400 bucks. Maybe the law changed, or the CHP was joking with you.

Check the link:
California Vehicle Code Violation Counts
Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

I got my first ticket when i was going at 115mph. The officer threatened to tow my car off but he let me go because it was during Christmas eve. The funny thing was that the officer told me he passed 50 over cars to chase me!

However, the fine was $400... and i got deducted 2 points for my licence.. (no traffic school )
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

You guys seem to be quite lucky in the states with the point system. In the uk its much worse.

If you're doing over 95ish then the fine goes up considerably but more importantly so do the points. Upto 6 i believe between 95 and 100. Over 100mph and its a compulsory court appearance and disqualification unless you can justify why. (most people get slapped with 6-8 points after the court appearance).

at 12 points you lose the license and you cannot do community service or drivers ed schooling to remove points. THey last 2 years and then get wiped. Plus we have thousands of these damn cameras everywhere in britain. Its quite possible to get caught on one journey enough times to lose your license if you are not careful.

I had 3 points on my license for crossing a double white line. To this day I know that i did not.

I was travelling home from university to see my parents. Its a 3 hour trip on really crap roads. No highways. I had been stuck behind this inbred hick in an old Fiat Uno for 20minutes. Finally a straight appeared. I dropped it as many gears as my little Polo could go and prepared to overtake.
The straight had dotted lines for overtaking. I pulled out but just as i did another car coming the other way came over the hill so i had to brake hard and pull back in. I simply thought 'ah shit' and bided my time.

What i didnt know is that on the straight was a bike repair shop. It was literally in the middle of nowhere.

The other important thing i had failed to notice was the fact that the cop was having his bike repaired at this place.

The owner had also made a huge numer of complaints to the local police about speeding down the straight i just tried to overtake on.

He seemingly told the cop to go after me and the cop being a 'nice chap' decided too.

He caught up with me and pulled me over. Told me i had passed on a double white line and then only when i had seen his bike slammed on the brakes and pulled in....

I explained that i had no idea he was even there and hadnt seen him; that the only reason i had pulled in was that if i hadnt i would have died?

He didnt seem to believe me and instead of a caution he wrote me out a ticket for 60 quid (100bucks ish) and gave me 3 points on my license.
I am almost sure i didnt cross double white lines and if i did it would only have been about 6 inches of them as they broke nearly straight after the corner.

To say i was pissed off would be an understament.

However those points are now wiped and i play the 'avoid speeding ticket' game every day.
Fastest ive ever driven in my 5 was 140 on the way back from London on the M40. It was around 3am and a long stretch of road opened up and i could see for a few miles. IT was literally just me, 4 sleeping friends and an empty highway. So whilst they all dreamed about the concert we had just been too i floored it. Not one of them woke up. Even when travelling at 140mph the car is solid as a rock.

Obviously i had to slow down as soon as i saw another cars lights appear in the distance and pulled it back to 90ish but even so it was truly amazing the stability.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:43 AM
Contributors

I'm currently awaiting my Uk courtcase. Got caught doing 116 mph (according to the police ). Middle of the night, no-one on the road...

As for the german thing; it only works there because the average driver can actually drive, not as in the UK or US where any idiot that passed the test the 8th time is allowed to merge on a busy motorway at 35mph.. :thumbsdown:
Old 11-30-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' post='205161' date='Nov 30 2005, 05:43 AM
I'm currently awaiting my Uk courtcase. Got caught doing 116 mph (according to the police ). Middle of the night, no-one on the road...

As for the german thing; it only works there because the average driver can actually drive, not as in the UK or US where any idiot that passed the test the 8th time is allowed to merge on a busy motorway at 35mph.. :thumbsdown:
Fred....good luck buddy hope eveything goes smoothly the way you want.

Yep and I absolutely agree with his statement. I don't know much about the UK but in the US, there are so many stupid people driving it makes driving worse. So many times I have to swerve to aviod geting hit by the car in the lane next to me because the person was using the phone or even eating and lost concentration. Drivers don't even look in their rear view mirrors. One should develop the habit of scanning them frequently to have a good grasp of driving situation to ensure any surprises. Also, when changing lanes and merging into traffic, do not cut the flow of traffic etc. etc.........
I think in the US they should make driving test more stringent and put extra emphasis on everything, INCLUDING parking skills...... :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 11-30-2005, 03:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I was in hurry so I paid 300? to the polizei in Austria but they were quite nice did as they said, 163 where they had a 100 sign, yeah ok, but WHY? on the Autobahn????!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the cop was exaggerating the fine structure for reckless driving. Below is the text of the California vehicle code that pertains to this situation:

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 22348-22366

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a
conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of
Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.
(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in
convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). The person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor
Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.

More information is available at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displayc...ile=22348-22366
Old 11-30-2005, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Don't speed, it's against the law.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, sport pkg, prem pkg, navigation; titanium silver w/ black interior

well i just finished online traffic school (for CA) for a left hand turn infraction. those of you commuting through hollywood, the cops are camped out at mulholland and outpost

here is the material from the course:
Page 3 of 10

Safe Driving Practices: Speed Limits For Designated Vehicles

Penalties for driving in excess of 100 mph (VC 22348)

Any person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

1. Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed $500. The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days.

2. Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense which occurred within 3 years of a prior offense resulting in a conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed $500. The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
so yeah, $1600 seems high. maybe someone can look into the vehicle codes?

ah i couldn't resist, here is the vehicle code referenced above:

(source: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22348.htm)

Excessive Speed and Designated Lane Use

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, ( )1 a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.

(b) ( )2 A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense ( )3 that occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed ( )4 seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person?s privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.

(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense ( )3 that occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed ( )4 one thousand dollars ($1,000). The person?s privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.

? ( )2 A vehicle subject to Section 22406 shall be driven in a lane designated pursuant to Section 21655, or if a lane has not been so designated, in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the ( )5 driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as permitted under this code. If, however, specific lane or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, ( )6 a vehicle may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code. This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn or who is in the process of entering into or exiting from a highway or to a driver who is required necessarily to drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 300, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
The 2004 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:
1. "no"
2. "Any"
3. "which"
4. "five hundred dollars ($500)"
5. "drivers"
6. "any such"
Old 11-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Man, these figures are pretty scary. I'm pretty lucky to have German Autobahns 20 mins from my place. Sometimes I take going top speed for granted.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket: 100+ MPH