Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Sony committing suicide in UK for PS3 !

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Don't most people have a PS2 to play their older games on? I know I do... I never once played a PS1 game on my PS2, and I don't plan to ever play a GameCube game on my Wii...

Is backwards compat that big a deal?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='503387' date='Dec 5 2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the offer ... if the UK purchase doesn't work out I might take you up on it !! I believe the PS3 is region free for games, not sure about for films though.
PS3 is region free for Blu-Ray titles but UK dvd's, PS1, and PS2 games wont work on an American PS3.

Edit: actually, I looked it up and some Blu-Rays are region encoded as well depending on the studio, kind of weird, so some UK Blu-Rays would not work as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='503469' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:28 AM
Don't most people have a PS2 to play their older games on? ... Is backwards compat that big a deal?
Yeah, I want the new room to be quite "minimal" in terms of equipment. Plasma, Satellite box, PS3. The PS3 will be used for playing all games, BluRay and DVD. Both itrmd eill br connected to the Plasma with HDMI, and then to a surround sound system via optical. I don't want to have to have a PS2, with non HDMI cables, just to play PS2 games, when the PS3 can and does play them (but not for long...!!). It would also mean keeping controllers for both consoles. Too messy
Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='503749' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I want the new room to be quite "minimal" in terms of equipment. Plasma, Satellite box, PS3. The PS3 will be used for playing all games, BluRay and DVD. Both itrmd eill br connected to the Plasma with HDMI, and then to a surround sound system via optical. I don't want to have to have a PS2, with non HDMI cables, just to play PS2 games, when the PS3 can and does play them (but not for long...!!). It would also mean keeping controllers for both consoles. Too messy
If you're playing BD movies on that PS3 you're going to want your sound out of the HDMI cables if you want to get the best audio. I don't think the optical will handle the bit-rate needed for the lossless audio tracks on Blu-Ray disks.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='503833' date='Dec 6 2007, 11:24 PM
If you're playing BD movies on that PS3 you're going to want your sound out of the HDMI cables if you want to get the best audio. I don't think the optical will handle the bit-rate needed for the lossless audio tracks on Blu-Ray disks.
I'm not getting a top end surround system, so the different between optical and hdmi sound won't be noticable, but thanks for the tip anyway, didn't realise that optical was compressed compared to the HDMI signal.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

Not sure if you've seen this yet Russ but saw the ad on TV last night.

PC World seem to have the 60gb back in stock. Quick run down there and get one!! Better be quick though as a few stores near me are already out of stock!

Clickety Click!!!

Merry Christmas!

Marc
Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Contributors

I just checked all my local stores and they are out of stock. Still, not that it matters, as I bought a 2nd one anyway, wouldn't surprise me if everyone snapping these up will stick them on eBay, which annoys me .... ! Thanks for the heads up though

I bought a Wii the other day from a local shop as they had a few in stock. It's sitting behind me now as I type still sealed. I am purposely NOT going to list it on eBay, but instead have sent a message to friends/family that if any of them are looking for one for Chritmas they can have this one at cost price to avoid having to pay eBay prices. If nobody wants it, I'll just keep it, and will stick it in the converted garage along with the 2nd PS3. But if I do that, I'll end up having to buy a 2nd 360 aswell. *sigh*.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Contributors

how many children do you plan to entertain??????
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 AM
Contributors

Well there is me, my wife, and three children. We currently have one "main" TV, which not only is the TV, but is where all of our consoles are plugged in to. So if somebody wants to watch TV, and somebody else wants to play PS3, and somebody else wants to play Wii ... well you get the picture!

Having "two living rooms" won't cancel out the arguments completely, but it'll certainly reduce the waiting time
Old 12-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Contributors

dont want to rub this in, but just treated myself today for a PS3 60gb . Amazing offer I could not say no to: ps3, a second controller and 2 games for only 100 EUR more than the ps3 40gb version with no games and only 1 controller!! when i saw the offer in the store, I just grabbed it - eventhough I seriuosly dont need one and did not plan to get one...

Quick Reply: Sony committing suicide in UK for PS3 !