Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

SLR cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

DOF mainly depends on length of the lens and aperture.
Look at Andy's pictures, most of them are taken with the 70-200. At 200 full open ODF is probably less then 1m
A 10-22mm wide open still goes from 1m to infinity.
Consumer cams have medium wide angles and big DOF in order to make sharp pictures even in the hands of a parkinson disabled grandmother possible.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by jtxc' date='Jun 28 2005, 03:24 PM
Well you guys are too kind.? To be honest when I saw Andy's Kenya photos I felt a bit awkward posting mine but I figured what the heck.

For lenses I used the AF-S DX ED 18-70/3.5-4.5g that comes with the camera as a kit.? Nice all around lens,? very fast AF and whisper quite.?

I also purchased the AF-S 12-24 f/4 G which is Nikkor's newest wide angle developed for digital photography only.? I love this lens,? as with the 18-70 it is silent and very well built.? Both have metal bayonetts and have a good "Feel" in your hands (if not a slight bit heavy).?

The other lens I bought was a AF 70-300 f/4 - 5.6 G? which I unfortunately HATE!? It was constantly out of focus at long range.? The lens itself has a plastic bayonnet,? AF is loud and not smooth as well as having "a little play" in the rings.? This lens was a compromised lens.? I couldn't justify buying the next level up in telephoto ($1,500 - $2,500).? I should have bit the bullet.? The next level has VR (vibration reduction) and because I took so many pictures from moving vehicles I think it would have helped. Live and learn, and hey that lens was the cheapest of the lot.

Again all in all a fantastic camera.? Digital will allow me to shoot thousands of photos for fun,? and actually learn the art of photograpy with out the burdensome cost of developing!? I also use Apple computers for graphic work in my business and digital formats LOVE Mac.

As to filters.? Yes Andy some of those photos I shot had a polarized filter.? I had problems with the VERY bright sun washing out the blue sky.? How could you tell,? should I have not used a filter?? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Wizmaster........I found this website? here very helpful in comparing the Canon with the Nikon..........hope it helps.

Here's a pic taken at long range, with that crap lens.

Attachment 8742
[snapback]143735[/snapback]

It was a good decision to use the polarizer, the sky is nicely saturated and contrasted with the rest of the pic.
That "crap" lens is really crap.

Like garehaan said : the body is disposible. A good lens will last a lifetime.
If you can stretch it, buy the best handholdable lens you can afford - especially telezoom, ie. wide apperture ( eg f2.8 ) - and preferably with image stabilisation.
It WILL make a difference. Just ordered the 1.4 extender for my telezoom.