Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Shuttle Return TO Flight

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jul 27 2005, 08:59 AM
Well, don't get me started.

The first rocket launch from Cape Canaveral, that of Bumper #8, occurred on July 24, 1950. Used be Army, then in early '50s officially turned over to Air Force to run.? As it exists today (after many, many changes in Name - Long Range Proving Grounds, Air Force Missile Test Center, Eastern Missile Test Range (when I first started), Eastern Space and Missile Center, and now just Eastern Range, we provide all range safety - protection of people and property and all the instrumentation that that function requires, - communications, radar, telemetry, optics, and most importantly - Command Destruct.? We ensure that no errant missile/booster/spacecraft can endanger property or human life so we have the means to destroy missiles in flight including Shuttle.? It is an Air Force responsibility, not NASA.? Most flights from ER are DoD in nature, although civil (NASA and FAA) and commercial are catching up and in some recent years may have outstripped the DoD launches.? NASA only has two launch pads - SLC (Space Launch Complex) 39A and 39B.? All other launch pads are on CCAFS (Cape Canaveral Air Force Station).?

In the '50s-'90s we also tested many weapons systems (non space launches).? SNARKS, Navaho, Titan, Atlas, Thor, Pershing, Polaris, Poseidon, Trident and Trident II to name just a few.

The range extends now all the way from Argentia in Newfoundland to Ascension in the South Atlantic Ocean.? In the early days it was from the Cape only south (no northern launches allowed for safety reasons) to the other side of Africa.? We had stations all over the Bahamas (GBI, Eleuthera, Carter Cay and many other cays), Antigua, Grand Turk, Trinidad, Barbados, Fernando de Noronha (Brasil), Ascension, Pretoria, South Africa, and Madagascar.? It also required the use of a lot of tracking ships up until the mid '90s.? Up to 20 or more in the '50s into the '70s and then less as our land based capabilities improved (tracking range).? In that list above I was at every location at one time or another except for Madagascar.?

Anyway that is the brief version.? The October 1959 National Geographic had an excellent article - Cape Canaverals' 6000 Mile Shooting Gallery - if you really want some history.? I'm sure there are other sources as well.
[snapback]153525[/snapback]
Wow! Thanks for explaining things so well!!

This stuff just fascinates me...
Old 07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Thanks! Interesting.
I agree with Rudy, it is fascinating. Have been visiting KSC five times, twice including the Astronauts Hall of Fame.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

well .. this was fascinating.

we were at the Orange ticket viewing site ... approximately 6 miles? off launch pad 39B ... i got a few decent shots ... i may post some up tomorrow.

It was quite amazing seeing the shuttle "this close" - but yes so far away.

at first its just amazing when you see this huge cloud rise .... then you slowly feel a rumble ... then you can hear the rumble .. and then the air/vibrations ...

WELL DONE NASA & ALL OTHER CONTRACTORS/RESPONSIBLE.

i have contemplated to going up for the night launch later this week ... but no time. :-/

This was actually my first time visiting KSC .. well second now (due to postponed launch 2 weeks ago) .... i still did not manage to get by the Hall of Fame.

Dave ... did you get any to take any pictures yourself?

--marco
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya post some pics... I would love to see some "real" pics.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

Too bad they still have the fuel tank foam problem. I watched a Discovery channel show on the Return to flight. It's a shame after all that work into devolping better meathods to apply the foam the problem still exists. I hope this doesn't gorund the shuttles for good.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

here's the read on that.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story....age&floc=NW_1-T
Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:16 PM
well .. this was fascinating.

we were at the Orange ticket viewing site ... approximately 6 miles? off launch pad 39B ...? ? i got a few decent shots ... i may post some up tomorrow.

It was quite amazing seeing the shuttle "this close" - but yes so far away.

at first its just amazing when you see this huge cloud rise .... then you slowly feel a rumble ... then you can hear the rumble .. and then the air/vibrations ...

WELL DONE NASA & ALL OTHER CONTRACTORS/RESPONSIBLE.

i have contemplated to going up for the night launch later this week ... but no time. :-/

This was actually my first time visiting KSC .. well second now (due to postponed launch 2 weeks ago) .... i still did not manage to get by the Hall of Fame.

Dave ... did you get any to take any pictures yourself?

--marco
[snapback]153753[/snapback]
Well time was 1822 EDT, but scrubbed today for spacecraft issues. No reschedule yet.

Next up - Atlas V with Mars Orbiter - 0754 EDT on 10 August.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Jul 27 2005, 11:27 PM
here's the read on that.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story....age&floc=NW_1-T
[snapback]153878[/snapback]
U can always track progress on Shuttle items on Spaceflightnow.com

I dropped of some data to the Shuttle Debris Team War room this afternoon and they were into it really deep. This is a radar system that is being validated so we can also return to night flights and continue to ensure we can capture all debris without the need for daylight optical sensors. And they should also catch stuff not visible to optics as well. That will be reported on when they have completed their analysis.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Contributors

Landing at KSC waved off twice today due to a little iffy weather (whimps). Atlas 5 still scheduled for 10 August (7:54 am).

We will try landing again tomorrow. It WILL land tomorrow, either at KSC or Edwards.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Aug 8 2005, 03:41 AM
Landing at KSC waved off twice today due to a little iffy weather (whimps).? Atlas 5 still scheduled for 10 August (7:54 am).

We will try landing again tomorrow.? It WILL land tomorrow, either at KSC or Edwards.
[snapback]157042[/snapback]

EDWARDS! I want to hear the sonic boom! HUmmm 7:54... will be ummm only 4:54 pst huh...

Quick Reply: Shuttle Return TO Flight