Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Serious Windows Vulnerability

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by stream' post='219786
Originally Posted by stream' post='219699' date='Jan 5 2006, 06:13 PM
Reboot your PC, and if you have it set to automatically detect MS updates, you'll get it.
I'll try that but I rarely reboot most of my machines at home -- why wouldn't my manually going to Windows Update pick it up?
If you leave your PCs on, I assume you still get the Tuesday Windows updates? I found that if your PC is on, it takes longer to get them than if you reboot or happen to turn on a PC during the day (like one of my kids').

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='219779
Originally Posted by stream' post='219699' date='Jan 5 2006, 06:13 PM
Reboot your PC, and if you have it set to automatically detect MS updates, you'll get it.
I'll try that but I rarely reboot most of my machines at home -- why wouldn't my manually going to Windows Update pick it up?

It did for me. Did you have the other patch installed? MS might have WinUpdate detect the other one to make sure it won't automatically download and install it over top...
[/quote]

Mine automatically notified me that updates were available without rebooting, even though I installed the "unauthorized" patch. I do find that you get the updates later if you PC has been on for a while when the updates are released, vs. if you turn on the PC, or rebooting, after they've been released.
[/quote]

I was responding to his statement "why wouldn't my manually going to Windows Update pick it up?". I took this to mean that he ran Windows Update, which forces the check... and that the check didn't turn up the patch.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I did end up getting it automatically on two of my machines (haven't checked the third yet) but I'm still not sure why I couldn't get it by manually initiating an update. Even MS's press release says you should be able to get it manually:

Originally Posted by Microsoft Press Release at [url=http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jan06/01-05UpdatePR.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...5UpdatePR.mspx[/url] ]Consumer customers who use Automatic Updates will receive the update automatically and do not need to take any additional actions. Consumers can also manually download and deploy the update by visiting Microsoft Update or Windows Update. Consumers can also get more information at Microsoft's Security At Home Web site.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='219919' date='Jan 6 2006, 02:38 AM
I did end up getting it automatically on two of my machines (haven't checked the third yet) but I'm still not sure why I couldn't get it by manually initiating an update. Even MS's press release says you should be able to get it manually:

[quote name=' Microsoft Press Release at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...5UpdatePR.mspx ]Consumer customers who use Automatic Updates will receive the update automatically and do not need to take any additional actions. Consumers can also manually download and deploy the update by visiting Microsoft Update or Windows Update. Consumers can also get more information at Microsoft's Security At Home Web site.
[/quote]

Now that's a big problem, Rudy. Looks like you have that new virus everybody's been so worried about...
Old 01-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by stream' post='220031' date='Jan 6 2006, 11:24 AM
Now that's a big problem, Rudy. Looks like you have that new virus everybody's been so worried about...
Yeah, you're probably right. Unfortunately, the virus spreads to anyone who reads any posts I made from this computer so I apologize in advance if any of you have read any of my posts...
Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='220055' date='Jan 6 2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. Unfortunately, the virus spreads to anyone who reads any posts I made from this computer so I apologize in advance if any of you have read any of my posts...
Hhhmmm... There are actually two viruses on your posts... The Steelers virus and theE60 virus...