Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Self Fulfilling Prophecy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by Znod' post='241746' date='Feb 17 2006, 09:07 AM
Your point and observation are interesting. I have heard that a BMW bias exists in the US, but I have never encountered one. It all seems the same to me no matter what car I am driving--although there may be a small positive camaraderie bias depending on the car I am driving.
Don, I assume that you are referring to your Vette. Around here, Vette drivers will automatically wave to each other. Not so with the BMW. I grew up in Potomac, Maryland, where BMWs are referred to as Potomac Volkswagens. I agree with the fellow who said that SUV and Truck drivers are more agressive than most, surely is true in the DC area.

Joe
Old 02-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by joepoole' post='241750' date='Feb 17 2006, 09:15 AM
Don, I assume that you are referring to your Vette. Around here, Vette drivers will automatically wave to each other. Not so with the BMW. I grew up in Potomac, Maryland, where BMWs are referred to as Potomac Volkswagens. I agree with the fellow who said that SUV and Truck drivers are more agressive than most, surely is true in the DC area.

Joe
Hi Joe:

Yes, the Z06 especially. The wave still is alive in AZ too for Vette drivers, but not BMW drivers. Still, my experience is that driver's of like-kind cars tend to share some smiles and courtesies. I heard a funny on in London. There, at least some, refer to SUV's as Chelsea Tractors.

Cya, Don
Old 02-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Most Z3 drivers wave too.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

In the bay area BMWs are fairly common--I've never gotten a wave. I started driving Porsches 17 years ago, and in the early years, you nearly always got a wave or headlight flash, but in the last 5+ years almost never (they're also getting much more common around here, and the demographic has changed quite a bit... ).
Old 02-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

The only time I wave at anyone anymore is when I am greeted by another motorcycle; and usually Harley He-men don't wave back (actually because they can't let go of that vibrating mass). As for 4-legged vehicles, those friendly blips of lights went out in 1968 with my XK-E (and I always flashed back at others, no matter their station). I guess there was a time back in the very early 70s when 2002 guys would hail each other, but that was rare.

I always figured it was more of a British sporting thing, and that the serious Teutonic types probably grunted when they saw someone blip them.

As for road agression, I have seen threateneing ("I hate BMW guys as much as the next...") threads in local general chat rooms and have experienced first hand, the agression of pickup-truck types, especially the raised-suspension, huge tire bozos. They purposely hang on your rear bumper and will try every obnoxious trick in the book to egg you on. I usually smile benignly and down shift....

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

It could be a self fullfilling prophecy.

But always talk to yourself first about your own thaughts!

E60 is a luxury car (at least overhere) and stands out for
fortune and success in life in the mind of less fortunate ones.

There's a lot of envious people out there whom have not,
for one reason or another, achieved what they dream for...

Since a BMW is made for driving, some of us might sometimes
drive it - with a good ego.

Be good - if you can't, be careful.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Like Jeremy Clarkson once said: "When was the list time you smiled to a BMW driver?"

Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

I've noticed this behaviour also, additionally many drivers don't like you overtaking them.

It stems from two things:

1: BMW = success, and people don't like other people's success, as it highlights their own failure. (In their own mind).

2: This stems from "1" - men (and it's always men) feel inadequate and insecure because you're driving a powerful, expensive car. Freud would say it's something to do with penises, and it probably is.

When my girlfriend drives my e60 she gets waves and nods from men in other cars; when I drive it, I get the occasional nod from other petrolheads, but mostly other men either feign that they haven't seen me, or deliberately drive like idiots. Women universally love the BMW.