Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Scissor door conversion for USD$49.99

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

It's Thanksgiving week and many people, including my clients are not really working. I am sitting in my office wondering what mods I can do to my car. I came across a web-page selling Lambo-style scissor door conversion that you can do yourself for only $49.99

Here are the FAQ and some pictures from the web page. Do you guys think it's too ricey? I personally think that it will definitely draw a lot of attention in a crowded parking lot. Both wanted and unwanted. What do you think?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'> Frequently Asked Questions:</span>[COLOR=red]

Q: Why is your kit much cheaper than the others?
A: We do not sell you a patented specialty hinge in which the manufacturer can fix the price. Our method is similar to the kit car industries method which has been used for many years and can be done for a mere fraction of the price.

Q: Can a 4 door car be modified?
A: Yes, but it is recommend that you convert the front 2 doors only as it puts less strain on the cars frame. However all 4 car doors can be modified.

Q: How long does it take and can I do this myself?
A: It normally takes about a weekend to do, or about 18hrs. Preparation is key in order to do a proper modification. It is recommend you have someone help you when you are installing the door. This kit was designed so that you can do it yourself.

Q: Is it street legal?
A: This depends on where you live.

Q: Can it be reversed?
A: Yes it can.

Q: Can this modification be done without any special tools?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I get out of my car the regular way?
A: The door will open the regular way up to a predetermined angle to allow quick and easy exit and entry.
Attached Thumbnails Scissor door conversion for USD&#036;49.99-scissor_doors_e46_a.jpg   Scissor door conversion for USD&#036;49.99-scissor_doors_e46_b.jpg   Scissor door conversion for USD&#036;49.99-scissor_doors_g35_a.jpg   Scissor door conversion for USD&#036;49.99-scissor_doors_benz.gif   Scissor door conversion for USD&#036;49.99-scissor_doors_g35_b.jpg  

Old 11-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributors

If the question is, "are they to ricey"? My answer is YES! But hey, it is your car, not mine - do what makes you happy. My .02
Old 11-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

I'd pass.

My thoughts, not for a everyday driver or an e60. More for a show car (Honda).

Central Cali
Old 11-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Please don't get me wrong. I DO NOT have plans to do this modification. I think it's cool, but like a ear piercing, I thought it was cool (15 years ago), but I never had the guts to do it.

It would be fun to know what Bimmer crowd think of this type of conversion. Especially E60 owners of varing age groups.

No prosecution on anybody's opinion here.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Nov 23 2004, 09:24 AM
Please don't get me wrong.? I DO NOT have plans to do this modification. I think it's cool, but like a ear piercing, I thought it was cool (15 years ago), but I never had the guts to do it.

It would be fun to know what Bimmer crowd think of this type of conversion.? Especially E60 owners of varing age groups.

No prosecution on anybody's opinion here.
[snapback]59878[/snapback]

That's cool

Central Cali
Old 11-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

My remmendation: Stop using terms like "ricey". As an Asian bmw owner, I find your "description" offensive. Trailer park trash or Country bumpkins or hicks could be used to generalize Southern BMW owners. And I'm sure some German drivers would be offended if we called them Krauts too.

Stick too non-racial descriptions please.

Teriyaki

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Nov 23 2004, 10:11 AM
It's Thanksgiving week and many people, including my clients are not really working.? I am sitting in my office wondering what mods I can do to my car.? I came across a web-page selling Lambo-style scissor door conversion that you can do yourself for only $49.99

Here are the FAQ and some pictures from the web page.? Do you guys think it's too ricey? I personally think that it will definitely draw a lot of attention in a crowded parking lot.? Both wanted and unwanted.? What do you think?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>? Frequently Asked Questions:</span>[COLOR=red]

Q: Why is your kit much cheaper than the others?
A: We do not sell you a patented specialty hinge in which the manufacturer can fix the price. Our method is similar to the kit car industries method which has been used for many years and can be done for a mere fraction of the price.

Q: Can a 4 door car be modified?
A: Yes, but it is recommend that you convert the front 2 doors only as it puts less strain on the cars frame.? However all 4 car doors can be modified.

Q: How long does it take and can I do this myself?
A: It normally takes about a weekend to do, or about 18hrs.? Preparation is key in order to do a proper modification.? It is recommend you have someone help you when you are installing the door.? This kit was designed so that you can do it yourself.

Q: Is it street legal?
A: This depends on where you live.

Q: Can it be reversed?
A: Yes it can.

Q: Can this modification be done without any special tools?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I get out of my car the regular way?
A: The door will open the regular way up to a predetermined angle to allow quick and easy exit and entry.
[snapback]59871[/snapback]
Old 11-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Contributors

I bet those doors open and close real flimsy, but who cares, for $50 and reversible, do it for fun, just not on my car.

For anyone really considering this, if you get it done, you'll have to mod out the whole car as it would look pretty silly on an otherwise stock car.

As for the term ricey, it is not meant to be a derogatory comment and should not be taken as one. The term ricey is taken from the honda world where you see huge spoilers and even bigger exhausts. The term can also be applied to euro cars that are distastefully modded. I just dislike when people throw the word ricey around and direct it towards all japanese cars.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Only problem is that the E60 is 4 door. It would look a bit silly. Looks sweet on all the coupes shown.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:05 AM
JDN
Contributors

I wouldn't even think about screwing with the great fit on Bimmer doors. That THUNK is one of the things I pay the high bucks for.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Nov 23 2004, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't even think about screwing with the great fit on Bimmer doors.? That THUNK is one of the things I pay the high bucks for.
[snapback]59894[/snapback]
I totally agree with JDN! The fit on the E60 doors are so superior to my old E39, why mess with them. I also agree on the issue of it not being appropriate since these are 4 door autos.

Spartacus_33

Quick Reply: Scissor door conversion for USD$49.99