Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Schiavo case

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Can anyone explain how this woman in Florida can be starved to death and this is somehow called life support? I mean she's not in a coma - she's awake and breathing on her own (albeit with much reduced capacity) and "life support" is a feeding tube. I'm flabbergasted.

I can't think of a crueler way of killing someone? I mean if you are going to euthanize people, at least call it what it is and have the decency to get it over with quickly.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

as a E.R Nurse , i can say that it would be a slow way to die..its just sad..
Old 03-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributors

That's a religion based constitution for you.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Contributors

I am not touching this topic with a ten foot curling iron.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Mar 26 2005, 08:12 AM
I am not touching this topic with a ten foot curling iron.
[snapback]106852[/snapback]
Same here! It has *FOGLIGHT* potential...
Old 03-26-2005, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Indeed it does. If it does get started someone should load it as a chat so it will be quick battle. I would be a spectator.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Mar 26 2005, 05:04 PM
I would be a spectator.
[snapback]106953[/snapback]

Me too!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Mar 27 2005, 03:53 AM
[quote name='kigerka' date='Mar 26 2005, 05:04 PM']I would be a spectator.
[snapback]106953[/snapback]

Me too!
[snapback]107264[/snapback]
[/quote]

Too sad, I would be a spectator too

I can only say that: I accept and respect such a decision only if it is decided by the person involved in...
Old 03-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I am normally a spectator - do nothing until it is too late then you never have to do anything appears to be my motto. However, I find this case disturbing on so many levels.

1. I don't know if it is her wish to die - did she have a living will?
2. The Euthenasia aspect - I hadn't heard this had been legalized in the U.S.
3. The method - starving her to death - I find this totally unacceptable.
4. The highest level of democratically elected representatives of the U.S. people seem to be powerless to alter the course of events. What's with that?
5. The precedent it might set to remove "life support" from other people with alzimers, MS etc. who are also unable to feed themselves.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong in concept, just that I find it disturbing and particularly so in the execution and democracy aspects (3 & 4 above).
Old 03-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Contributors

I have been alittle tepid to answer here, but here are some of my thoughts.

1. Too my knowledge, she did not have a living will. If she did, and it stated not to keep her alive via feeding tube, etc., I would think that she would be dying in the same manner???

2. Euthenasia, I believe it should be legal, and stated in part of living will or similar. I'll explain some more below.

3. I agree, but since #2 is not available, I don't know of other more peaceful way to go. Maybe someone can help me out.

4. Frankly, I don't believe that any of my elected representatives should be stepping in on this what so ever. IMHO, they would make it political, and that is not what it should be about.

5. I don't think it will set a precedent, but hopefully it will have people take a look and maybe put together a living will, so that family members don't have to go through this.

I don't know if I can explain why this is happening, but do want to explain a little bit about some of my statements.

My grandfather passed away earlier this year. I has been a difficult road that began 9+ years ago when he had a severe stroke. It was really tough to see him and my dad and family go through that, but at the end, he had an anerism that sealed his fate, he had a do not recesetate(sp) order, but suffered for a week before finally passing away. I don't know how many times we wished we could go and add a little extra morphine, but could not. It was just heart breaking. I know that he is resting in peace now, and that comforts me, but I also believe that the grandfather I knew, died 9+ years ago with the stroke.

I don't know what the right answers are, as I am sure everyone will have a different opinion, but that is why I think it should be left to the families. Fortunately our family was together in the struggle, and we did not have to go through a similar set of circumstances as what we see here. I hope I never have to go through what they are.

Quick Reply: Schiavo case