Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

RUN-FLATS: Unacceptable Technology and Term

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='218577
are they really that much harsher of a ride? hmmm
From the many posts regarding the problem I would conclude that many of the first generation runflats espescially from dunlops have many problems. My 2005 545i has dunlop runflats and I see no problem regarding ride/handling....
[/quote]

But have u tried running in a 545i with standard tyres after riding in yours?

When I collected my own E60, I had the run flats on for a few days before the guys swapped them to Pirelli P-Zero's. Even the first few feet in the car park on the new tyres was incredible. Noticable straight away. My previous E60 had the RFT's and although I had no problems, I just accepted the low quality ride at the time because I didn't compare. This time around I was determined to swap the tyres and made it part of the deal.

I previously had a blow-out at 80mph on the freeway (not in a BMW) with standard tyres and the car was fairly stable at thst speed. I think the forward momentum kept it straight. At lower speeds, around 30mph, it started to feel queasy. So I'm not necessarily concerned about high speed blowouts.

However, I've had two punctures since 1999 so I reckon the increased smoothness of the non run flats more than makes up for the abysmal ride of the RFT's and the lowish risk of having to make a tyre change when it happens.

Make the change I say.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='218577
From the many posts regarding the problem I would conclude that many of the first generation runflats espescially from dunlops have many problems. My 2005 545i has dunlop runflats and I see no problem regarding ride/handling....
[/quote]

Same here - no issues with my Ultra High Performance tires or my current winter set-up.

Folks, your BMWs are luxury sport sedans, not luxury sedans. If you wanted a better ride, then you should be looking at a Lexus (or something similar).
Old 01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Contributors

M5 - no RFT's - nuff said.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='218720' date='Jan 3 2006, 07:03 PM
Folks, your BMWs are luxury sport sedans, not luxury sedans. If you wanted a better ride, then you should be looking at a Lexus (or something similar).
But u can still have your luxury sport sedan with a better ride far easier than buying a Lexus.
Just put real tyres on.

Do I suspect from your comment above that you don't believe a tyre replacement will cure the woeful ride quality? Or that the mere thought of replacing the RFT is heresy?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='218720
Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='218537' date='Jan 2 2006, 11:51 PM

Same here - no issues with my Ultra High Performance tires or my current winter set-up.

[/quote]

Jstraw (and SWAJames): Not sure your experience level with "Luxury Sport Sedans," but I've been driving high performance 5 series cars since 1987 (the original Sport 5: 535 iS, 5 spd). It might interest you to know that that car came with some real odd-ball Michelin tires, the TRX models that were used only on this car and high performance Mustangs. Unlike the current crop of RFTs, the ride, noise level and wear were all VERY GOOD. What wasn't acceptable was that the WHEEL AND TIRES were METRIC sized, and larger and of a lower profile than the standard 535 wheels/tires.

Way back then, I resented this life-time committment to buying only Michelin tires at what were premium-PLUS prices; unless you wanted to swap out the wheels, and of course, what the hell size were they (somewhere north of 15"--probably the first lower-profile, plus-sizes to enter the market)? So, to say that I have some experience, both at what a Hi-perf BMW should handle and ride like, as well as have some idea how the exclusive niche-marketing of tires is condiucted is, well, an understatement. (and if you want to ride a sled, try the old Lexus GS 400).

SWAJames: What I meant when I said "cost savings" was that BMW probably gets these RFTs virtually for free, just as I suspect they did the TRXs. Just think about the prestige for these B-team tires companies (Dunlop and Bridgestone) being able to point to the M5's little brother, shod with their wares; not to mention hoping to lock in those OEM buyers for the life of their high-performance machines (2 or 3 sets?). That's cost savings and marketing for BMW and the OEM guys.

Now, I may be all wet, but if I am, I"ll restate as a question, the fact that CRRobert stated above: M5, no RFTs; how come?

We're getting hosed; but if you don't know the difference, you're their target audience.....keep buying them!

Ray Hull
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='218856
Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='218577' date='Jan 3 2006, 01:21 AM
[quote name='Trev550i' post='218537' date='Jan 2 2006, 11:51 PM']

[/quote]

Jstraw (and SWAJames): Not sure your experience level with "Luxury Sport Sedans," but I've been driving high performance 5 series cars since 1987 (the original Sport 5: 535 iS, 5 spd). It might interest you to know that that car came with some real odd-ball Michelin tires, the TRX models that were used only on this car and high performance Mustangs. Unlike the current crop of RFTs, the ride, noise level and wear were all VERY GOOD. What wasn't acceptable was that the WHEEL AND TIRES were METRIC sized, and larger and of a lower profile than the standard 535 wheels/tires.

Way back then, I resented this life-time committment to buying only Michelin tires at what were premium-PLUS prices; unless you wanted to swap out the wheels, and of course, what the hell size were they (somewhere north of 15"--probably the first lower-profile, plus-sizes to enter the market)? So, to say that I have some experience, both at what a Hi-perf BMW should handle and ride like, as well as have some idea how the exclusive niche-marketing of tires is condiucted is, well, an understatement. (and if you want to ride a sled, try the old Lexus GS 400).

SWAJames: What I meant when I said "cost savings" was that BMW probably gets these RFTs virtually for free, just as I suspect they did the TRXs. Just think about the prestige for these B-team tires companies (Dunlop and Bridgestone) being able to point to the M5's little brother, shod with their wares; not to mention hoping to lock in those OEM buyers for the life of their high-performance machines (2 or 3 sets?). That's cost savings and marketing for BMW and the OEM guys.

Now, I may be all wet, but if I am, I"ll restate as a question, the fact that CRRobert stated above: M5, no RFTs; how come?

We're getting hosed; but if you don't know the difference, you're their target audience.....keep buying them!

Ray Hull
[/quote]

Hi Ray, I understood where you were coming from re cost savings, but your arguments here could apply equally to any tire maker and tire (not that the couple you highlighted could really be described as B-players, but I would guess that any tire company would want to be OEM on BMW). The position now is not really that comparable to your old TRX's as there are many different tires from many manufacturers that could be fitted to an E60 - we're not tied to run flats, and we don't have to buy tires from Dunlop or Bridgestone. That said, it would make sense for BMW to offer a choice and the ability to swap out RFT's at the time of purchase if you don't want them. By the way, did you switch yours out already or are you still on the OEM tires? Only ask as with an 04 you might still have the gen 1 run flats which have clearly created a lot of trouble for many owners - seems like the newer run flats are holding up better, but I do understand why some owners don't like them.
cheers
Old 01-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

wonder if I can make a deal to swap them when I get the car?
Which tires should I go for? What is the best?