Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

RUN-FLATS: Unacceptable Technology and Term

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Smile

I'm getting kinda tired of using the dopey marketing term "run-flats." In short, they don't; and further, I resent calling century-old proven technology "NON-run-flats."

Therefore, I propose that we convene our own Focus Group and come up with something that not only describes these things correctly, but conveys our contempt for the concept and BMW's usage of them on our cars.

I'll toss out some starters:

Thump Flats
Faux Pneus
Bibendum et Thumpum
Cement Shoes
Hardcores

Please jump in,

Ray Hull
Old 01-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Imbecilus rota rotundus - Imbecillic round wheely-thing.

Runitas Flatipus Tunbelieveus - Unbelievable run flat thingies

Old 01-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

How about RFT!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

to be honest Ray, if you had a tire blow out on the freeway you probably wouldn't have much contempt for something that might just have saved your life...... RFT's are probably here to stay.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='218305' date='Jan 2 2006, 01:15 PM
to be honest Ray, if you had a tire blow out on the freeway you probably wouldn't have much contempt for something that might just have saved your life...... RFT's are probably here to stay.
Oh please: I have had several high-speed highway speed blowouts (usually heat-related), and the various BMWs handled them (F&R) just fine. These things are CRAP and I can't believe BMW persists. They are extant solely for cost savings, and that's, allegedly NOT the BMW way.

I believe that several years from now, when the data is crunched, they'll see how big a mistake these were: in threatened structural integrity (car and tire), weight bias, and customer dissatisfaction. Perhaps, at best, they permit spare tire weight reduction, (but I've never seen weight comparisons to alloy vs steel wheels and regular vs RFT differences). And maybe they take advantage of lower-profile design specs (less rubber, more rim protection), but they aren't ready for the big time yet--especially on high-performance cars. Unfortunately, that's the only market that will put up with the harshness. And when you throw in the electronic gadgetry to make them "readable" where's the cost saving?

Now, let's have some fun.

RWH
Old 01-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I have dunlop run flats....love 'em so far....no problems with them....saved my ass on the highway once
Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='218478
Oh please: I have had several high-speed highway speed blowouts (usually heat-related), and the various BMWs handled them (F&R) just fine. These things are CRAP and I can't believe BMW persists. They are extant solely for cost savings, and that's, allegedly NOT the BMW way.

I believe that several years from now, when the data is crunched, they'll see how big a mistake these were: in threatened structural integrity (car and tire), weight bias, and customer dissatisfaction. Perhaps, at best, they permit spare tire weight reduction, (but I've never seen weight comparisons to alloy vs steel wheels and regular vs RFT differences). And maybe they take advantage of lower-profile design specs (less rubber, more rim protection), but they aren't ready for the big time yet--especially on high-performance cars. Unfortunately, that's the only market that will put up with the harshness. And when you throw in the electronic gadgetry to make them "readable" where's the cost saving?

Now, let's have some fun.

RWH
[/quote]

If there is an issue it's probably because the E60 suspension wasn't necessarily designed from the outset with run flats in mind whereas the new E90 was - maybe the next generation of 5's will be different and some of the current concerns might be addressed. The tires probably cost more than many performance non-RFT's (the 275 rears are well over $300 on tirerack, the 245 fronts are close to $300) and it uses existing hardware (ABS sensors) for the FTM so I don't really buy into the cost savings argument. TBH I've got no strong feelings either way, but I do think it is primarily safety related, I like them and I'm happier with them than without...

That said, it sounds like you find yours

Rubberized Fiendish Torture
Really F****n' Troublesome

Old 01-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

are they really that much harsher of a ride? hmmm
Old 01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='218537' date='Jan 2 2006, 11:51 PM
are they really that much harsher of a ride? hmmm
From the many posts regarding the problem I would conclude that many of the first generation runflats espescially from dunlops have many problems. My 2005 545i has dunlop runflats and I see no problem regarding ride/handling....
Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Contributors

BMW could have spent the engineering time and effort on something more useful, like higher quality SW. I have had a drivers license for 21 years now, and experienced only one flat tire abut 11 years ago. And that single incident was at a supermarket parking lot where a vandal punctured tires of several cars. So no flats while driving in 21 years. I see no value in RunFlats whatsoever!

Quick Reply: RUN-FLATS: Unacceptable Technology and Term