Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Red Light Ticket... Advice needed! (LITTLE BIT LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 12:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.
Arrow

Alright so check this BS out... I see a motorcycle cop ahead of me waiting to go straight at the light. I need to make a right hand turn... I pull up to the red light, I stop and immediately make my right hand turn... The cop immediately leaves his lane and snags my ass.

So I follow the procedure keys out of the ignition, place on dash, and hands on the steering wheel.

Officer: License and registration please.

Me: yes sir. Here you go sir.

Officer: You know I pulled you over because you didn't stop at the red light.

Me: Officer, I competely saw you waiting at the light from almost 200 feet away before I made the right hand turn. You think I'm an idiot?

Officer: Well you definitely didn't stop I saw you, give me a sec I will be right back.

So I'm waiting in my car for like 5 minutes wondering what this jerk off is doing... and he comes back, and I have my hands in my lap... And he freaks on me... He's like PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL NOW!

I'm like whoa man and I put my hands on the steering wheel.

He's like, I saw you looking in your mirrors, don't you know the procedure!? You could of been looking to watch me come so you could pull something on me, you keep your hands on the steering wheel!!!

By then I have this big grin on my face... Thinking this guy is such a fucking tool.

So he gives me this ticket. I'm like do you really have to give me a ticket? Hes like YES, well no, I don't have to, I choose to. hes like sign here. I go to grab his little palm pilot to sign hes like NO you don't touch that just use the pen!!! I'm like jeez man why are you trying to give me such a hard time? JUST SIGN. See you on the 8th, you can go now.

I was totally dumbfounded by how much of a douche bag this guy was! I start my car and I'm looking at the ticket waiting for this joker to leave from behind me. ( I pulled into a shopping center parking space) And hes like WAIT don't leave yet. So i'm like okay?

So i'm looking at this ticket thinking what a prick this guy is and I notice his last name is PHENIS! AHAHA So now im laughing in my car waiting for this penis to move. Then he tells me alright you can get out of here. Yet he doesn't move? He gives me a foot of space to back up with his bike behind me. I back up with his bike to my left, and go to pull foward to leave around him, and he freaks! WHAT ARE YOU DOING! TURN AROUND! DONT GO PAST ME! I'm like is this guy serious I pulled past him anyways and left.

So I get home all pissed off I sit down, and read the ticket it says I ran a red light? He even had a description on the bottom saying vehicle was driving, and ran a red light at desert inn and rainbow. It says absolutely nothing about failing to stop while making a right hand turn.

Is there some kind of law that states when an officer makes this type of error your off the hook? That is an error right?

Old 05-12-2009 | 12:27 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i 2007

shouldnt have signed the ticket and told him to call his chief commander, then hed realy be a tool.
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

i fucking hate cops 2
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RISK' post='875910' date='May 12 2009, 04:27 AM
shouldnt have signed the ticket and told him to call his chief commander, then hed realy be a tool.
that wouldnt work. bad advice
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:45 AM
Contributors

but for Jrowe, i would just hire one of those "get me out of a ticket" lawyers honestly. he may have been a douchebag, but he apparently didnt like you for whatever reason. He may make a point out of appearing in court. Unfortunately I dont know you or the cop. there is a chance the story is exactly how you say it is, there is also a chance you may have exaggerated. everyone is different. i provide the following light reading regarding Nevada traffic laws for red lights (i will save you the time of reading it by saying, IF YOU CAME TO A FULL STOP BEFORE PROCEDING, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, unless it was posted that you cannot)

Some good advice from the state of nevada, followed by an excerpt from chapter 484 of Nevada traffic laws

-----------------

Nevada law requires you pull to the right and stop when signaled to do so by a police officer. There is apprehension for all involved during a routine stop. The person being pulled over is fearful of getting a ticket or because you're not sure why you were stopped; and the officer is fearful for their own personal safety with the unknowns for any given situation.

Drivers who are stopped by law enforcement officers are recommended to follow all legal instructions they receive from the officer. To assist the officer in determining that you are not a wanted fugitive, please keep your hands in sight at all times. Upon initial contact, keep your hands on the steering wheel unless instructed by the officer to do otherwise. When the officer asks for papers, let the officer know what you are intending to do, such as, "my registration is in the glove box." This allows the officer to know your intention ahead of time. If for some reason there is a firearm in the vehicle, advise the officer upon initial contact. The police don't like surprises any more than you do.

If you are stopped at night, turn on the vehicle's dome light to assist in seeing what is present in the car. Be prepared for bright lights. Police use their lights so they can see items harmful to them.

Please stay in the car unless directed by the officer to exit the car. Your cooperation will be appreciated and aid in the safety of all parties-including your own.

-------------------------

NRS 484.283 Traffic controlled by official traffic-control devices exhibiting different colored lights: Rights and duties of vehicular traffic and pedestrians depending upon particular signal displayed; signals placed over individual lanes; certain restrictions upon local authorities.

1. Whenever traffic is controlled by official traffic-control devices exhibiting different colored lights, or colored lighted arrows, successively one at a time or in combination as declared in the manual and specifications adopted by the Department of Transportation, only the colors green, yellow and red may be used, except for special pedestrian-control devices carrying a word legend as provided in NRS 484.325. The lights, arrows and combinations thereof indicate and apply to drivers of vehicles and pedestrians as provided in this section.

2. When the signal is circular green alone:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal may proceed straight through or turn right or left unless another device at the place prohibits either or both such turns. Such vehicular traffic, including vehicles turning right or left, must yield the right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk at the time the signal is exhibited.

(b) Pedestrians facing such a signal may proceed across the highway within any marked or unmarked crosswalk, unless directed otherwise by another device as provided in NRS 484.325.

3. Where the signal is circular green with a green turn arrow:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal may proceed to make the movement indicated by the green turn arrow or such other movement as is permitted by the circular green signal, but the traffic must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection at the time the signal is exhibited. Drivers turning in the direction of the arrow when displayed with the circular green are thereby advised that so long as a turn arrow is illuminated, oncoming or opposing traffic simultaneously faces a steady red signal.

(b) Pedestrians facing such a signal may proceed across the highway within any marked or unmarked crosswalk, unless directed otherwise by another device as provided in NRS 484.325.

4. Where the signal is a green turn arrow alone:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal may proceed only in the direction indicated by the arrow signal so long as the arrow is illuminated, but the traffic must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within the adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

(b) Pedestrians facing such a signal shall not enter the highway until permitted to proceed by another device as provided in NRS 484.325.

5. Where the signal is a green straight-through arrow alone:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal may proceed straight through, but must not turn right or left. Such vehicular traffic must yield the right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk at the time the signal is exhibited.

(b) Pedestrians facing such a signal may proceed across the highway within the appropriate marked or unmarked crosswalk, unless directed otherwise by another device as provided in NRS 484.325.

6. Where the signal is a steady yellow signal alone:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a steady red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter, and such vehicular traffic must not enter the intersection when the red signal is exhibited.

(b) Pedestrians facing such a signal, unless otherwise directed by another device as provided in NRS 484.325, are thereby advised that there is insufficient time to cross the highway.

7. Where the signal is a steady red signal alone:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal must stop before entering the crosswalk on the nearest side of the intersection where the sign or pavement marking indicates where the stop must be made, or in the absence of any such crosswalk, sign or marking, then before entering the intersection, and, except as provided in paragraph ?, must remain stopped or standing until the green signal is shown.

(b) Pedestrians facing such a signal shall not enter the highway, unless permitted to proceed by another device as provided in NRS 484.325.

? After complying with the requirement to stop, vehicular traffic facing such a signal and situated on the extreme right of the highway may proceed into the intersection for a right turn only when the intersecting highway is two-directional or one-way to the right, or vehicular traffic facing such a signal and situated on the extreme left of a one-way highway may proceed into the intersection for a left turn only when the intersecting highway is one-way to the left, but must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other traffic proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection.

(d) Vehicular traffic facing the signal may not proceed on or through any private or public property to enter the intersecting street where traffic is not facing a red signal to avoid the red signal.

8. Where the signal is a steady red with a green turn arrow:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal may enter the intersection only to make the movement indicated by the green turn arrow, but must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection. Drivers turning in the direction of the arrow are thereby advised that so long as the turn arrow is illuminated, oncoming or opposing traffic simultaneously faces a steady red signal.

(b) Pedestrians facing such a signal shall not enter the highway, unless permitted to proceed by another device as provided in NRS 484.325.

9. If a signal is erected and maintained at a place other than an intersection, the provisions of this section are applicable except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application. Any stop required must be made at a sign or pavement marking indicating where the stop must be made, but in the absence of any such device the stop must be made at the signal.

10. Whenever signals are placed over the individual lanes of a highway, the signals indicate, and apply to drivers of vehicles, as follows:

(a) A downward-pointing green arrow means that a driver facing the signal may drive in any lane over which the green signal is shown.

(b) A red ?X? symbol means a driver facing the signal must not enter or drive in any lane over which the red signal is shown.

11. A local authority shall not adopt an ordinance or regulation or take any other action that prohibits vehicular traffic from crossing an intersection when:

(a) The red signal is exhibited; and

(b) The vehicular traffic in question had already completely entered the intersection before the red signal was exhibited. For the purposes of this paragraph, a vehicle shall be considered to have ?completely entered? an intersection when all portions of the vehicle have crossed the limit line or other point of demarcation behind which vehicular traffic must stop when a red signal is displayed.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1490; A 1973, 1323; 1979, 1802; 1981, 864; 2007, 665)
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='875928' date='May 12 2009, 12:45 AM
but for Jrowe, i would just hire one of those "get me out of a ticket" lawyers honestly. he may have been a douchebag, but he apparently didnt like you for whatever reason. He may make a point out of appearing in court. Unfortunately I dont know you or the cop. there is a chance the story is exactly how you say it is, there is also a chance you may have exaggerated. everyone is different.

Yeah thanks Craig for taking your time on finding the traffic laws for me. I really don't feel I should have to pay anyone anything this entire ticket is such a slap in the face, this guy definitely did not like me. Either that or he's probably jewish, Just kidding Oh and btw I definitely did not exaggerate what so ever on my statement. It is word for word the absolute truth.
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:57 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i 2007

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='875923' date='May 12 2009, 04:39 AM
that wouldnt work. bad advice

i dont think so< i hate cops 2 , If the cops a bitch then, hes the winner, you gota get to him another way, if you sign the ticket and go to court, the prick is gona come to court raise his hand up and say I swear to tell the truth... and all that bs and the damn judge is gona beleave him since, hes the officer of the law and he showed up at court, your papers arent gona help you there. ... tell the cop who his watch commander is and hell, change his mind on how he deals with you. You have your rights and he has his. If your being wrongly occused then take the time in geting on his nerves, he cant take you to jail enyways.
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='875936' date='May 12 2009, 04:56 AM
Yeah thanks Craig for taking your time on finding the traffic laws for me. I really don't feel I should have to pay anyone anything this entire ticket is such a slap in the face, this guy definitely did not like me. Either that or he's probably jewish, Just kidding Oh and btw I definitely did not exaggerate what so ever on my statement. It is word for word the absolute truth.
yeah. i know. i hate getting tickets, unfortunately it is a reality. to top it off, it is your word against the cops in court, and IT WILL NOT GO WELL FOR YOU if you walk in there and say you didnt do it. i hired a lawyer for 150 bucks, got me out of my ticket, points, everything.
Old 05-12-2009 | 01:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RISK' post='875937' date='May 12 2009, 04:57 AM
i dont think so< i hate cops 2 , If the cops a bitch then, hes the winner, you gota get to him another way, if you sign the ticket and go to court, the prick is gona come to court raise his hand up and say I swear to tell the truth... and all that bs and the damn judge is gona beleave him since, hes the officer of the law and he showed up at court, your papers arent gona help you there. ... tell the cop who his watch commander is and hell, change his mind on how he deals with you. You have your rights and he has his. If your being wrongly occused then take the time in geting on his nerves, he cant take you to jail enyways.
signing the ticket is not admission of guilt and you are out of your mind. i cant tell if you are joking or not.
Old 05-12-2009 | 01:03 AM
Contributors

DP

Quick Reply: Red Light Ticket... Advice needed! (LITTLE BIT LONG)