Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='588866' date='May 26 2008, 10:06 PM
When Bush took office in 2001,
gas was
$1.46
While true, this is a simplistic response that ignores what has gone on worldwide. While I will not disagree that the war in Iraq was a huge mistake and has contributed to higher oil prices, you cannot ignore the dramatic increase in demand from India, China and the rest of the developing world that has been THE primary driver behind oil prices. The weak US dollar has also contributed because oil is priced in US dollars around the world. The impact in terms of rising prices has been much higher prices for Americans, while Europeans and most of Asian economies have felt less of an impact. In fact, China subsidizes oil for its consumers, removing the impact to their economy, at least in the short term. The Chinese government can afford to subsidize oil prices with their HUGE holding of US dollars they have because of the trade deficit that has existed between the US and China for years now. That will not end anytime soon.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

with the price of oil fast approaching $200 a barrel think more along the lines over $7 a gallon.
and shit, at this rate, the possibility of $300 a barrel isn't that far off. so we're looking at what $12 a gallon.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='588818
When Bush took office in 2001,
gas was
$1.46
No offense, but people who make remarks like this about Gas prices, really need educate themselves about the situation.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='588885' date='May 26 2008, 10:47 PM
You can't look at profit in terms of dollar amounts. You have to look at profit margin. Oil companies are making something like 8%, compared to companies like Microsoft and Google who are making 40% and 50% profit margin.

What we really need is new refineries, we haven't built a new refinery in the US in about ~30 years.
+ 1,000 PREACH!!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='588885' date='May 26 2008, 08:47 PM
You can't look at profit in terms of dollar amounts. You have to look at profit margin. Oil companies are making something like 8%, compared to companies like Microsoft and Google who are making 40% and 50% profit margin. What we really need is new refineries, we haven't built a new refinery in the US in about ~30 years.

No offense, but people who make remarks like this about Gas prices, really need educate themselves about the situation.
totally agree, +1 to both of your comments and +1 to all of kscarrols.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

kscarrol...

Church!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='588780
Really think you Yanks have got it easy.. I am currently paying ?5.65 a gallon or equivellent to $11.00 a gallon for diesel a waste product of petrol...
indeed, and your diesel would be more if you had to run it thru the same processes we do, hence why ( in reference to another posters question) our diesel has gone up so much recently in the US. Yes it is a by-product/waste product but it now has to undergo a great deal of treatment (ULSD) and the demand has outpaced supply, but this is partially because at least one major diesel refinery has shut down.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='588855' date='May 26 2008, 09:41 PM
As do all the counties around Dallas that have benefited from the boom surrounding the Barnett Shale gas play. And half the folks in Texas, not just Bush. But it's OK if your friends benefit, or you from the money the state and county make to pay for schools and roads.

It is amazing what a poor grasp of economics and the commodity markets that Americans have. We bitch when prices are high and it hits our pockets directly, but no one shed a tear back in the 80's when literally tens of thousands of workers were laid off from oil companies. Can't have it both ways.
I wouldnt say all the counties around dallas are benefiting from the barnett shale (to me its really only a small area despite what the news may say), and certainly those in the communities who signed on early (as with all things) are now complaining that they are getting an unfair shake. Communities who are only now agreeing to drilling/rights are getting more than double the early adopters.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Somehow, I'm not entertained by all the arguements. I've been through tech boom and bust, and no analyzing the real estate boom and bust. While we all know that globalization has a lot to do with these "modern boom and bust," no one is really addressing the fundamental of economics.

We're all just complaining and justifying why and why not such is such. Any economic majors want to chime in and give us some possible historical parallel? Surely, this is not a completely new phenomenon.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

American consumers are quite informative compared to others around the world.

1. How is it that they are "shock" at the current rate of price increases in oil? Did someone withheld some type of information?

2. Did other countries around the world such as China and India, to name a few, have increased their sustainable and rapid demands for oil that it caught the whole world off guard?

3. Did geologists, within a short period of time, figured that we have only so much years of fossil fuel resources at the current usage that it's started a "panic" a few years back?

4. This is a platform for the launch of the next "alternative energy boom?"

As you can see, I have more questions than answers. But if someone can answers some of these questions, hopefully, we can shed some light.

Now back to BMW gas gussler. If you can afford the gussler, then you can afford the gas.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To some of you think it's okay to pay $6+, fine! but why being cheap to get DYI solution here from your other post?

To some of you think it's okay to pay $6+, you aren't cool because extra money to burn. You maybe beneficial from this gas war but you don't really have a life, since we all blogging on internet.

...so shup up and stop showing off! This topic is to "think" not to compare who has more $ in savings account.

We like alternative or creative ideas. I admire some good ideas like driving less but taking more public transportations, scootering, cycling, share ride or even on foot. Anymore good solutions?

Quick Reply: Be ready for over $6 / gallon.