Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Pulled over using a V1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

So the V1 is one of the best things I've bought for my car. Haven't had a ticket in 4 years. Now tonight on the way home from work, I get pulled over in one of the worst areas in the USA for tickets. I was going a little bit over in a 35, and a cop pulls up right behind me. Before I leave I always check my radar is working, and I get pulled over. I look up and sure enough its on and did not go off at ALL. I asked the cop what he clocked me at when he says I was speeding and he doesn't say anything. I tell him that my radar and laser did not go off once(radar detector is legal in texas). And he got kind of pissy, then he said I'm getting a ticket for 47. I have a lawyer I will take to court, it was 47 in a 35, but don't they need PROOF that I was going that fast? He can visually think I'm going fast but where the hell did he pull out 47 from? I got thru that area all the time and my radar will go off around where I live. But not once with this guy.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil
So the V1 is one of the best things I've bought for my car. Haven't had a ticket in 4 years. Now tonight on the way home from work, I get pulled over in one of the worst areas in the USA for tickets. I was going a little bit over in a 35, and a cop pulls up right behind me. Before I leave I always check my radar is working, and I get pulled over. I look up and sure enough its on and did not go off at ALL. I asked the cop what he clocked me at when he says I was speeding and he doesn't say anything. I tell him that my radar and laser did not go off once(radar detector is legal in texas). And he got kind of pissy, then he said I'm getting a ticket for 47. I have a lawyer I will take to court, it was 47 in a 35, but don't they need PROOF that I was going that fast? He can visually think I'm going fast but where the hell did he pull out 47 from? I got thru that area all the time and my radar will go off around where I live. But not once with this guy.
That sux - It's pretty rare to have a law enforcement office to pace a suspect in order to record speed. Guess this one suspected you had on-board technology and didn't want to tip you off! No doubt your lawyer will argue probable cause and issue a show cause to obtain speedometer certifications, officer training records, and all documents related to the officer's traffic stop, Might actually be cheaper to have it knocked down to a no-points ticket.

Most stops like this aren't about traffic safety but about generating revenue.

Good luck with it!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'm not worried about a lawyer, I pay a monthly fee for a service. So its no extra to have a lawyer go to court for me. The ticket shows he got me on RADAR not by pacing (or whatever term they use for it). The small area outside SA I got pulled is one of the worst in the USA for tickets. Check out this fact for 2000-2008. The population for Selma is 4600

Total tickets:
Total Revenue:
$10,352,606

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Holy crap... I would ride a bicycle in that area.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

+1 those numbers are not funny at all

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Holy crap... I would ride a bicycle in that area.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Members

Selma is so small! They cover 1 mile of road and bust people on i35 for any reason. I've gotten my self in trouble there before.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Wrong wrong wrong, tell the cop to go home. He didn't have you clocked and wrote a BS radar ticket probably.
Ask for the radar record if you can I don't know I'm not a lawyer just a crazy German.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

A few years ago I got caught by a police cruiser who said he paced me for over two miles and passed at least one speed limit sign before he pulled me over (My V1 wasn't in the car - I was driving a rental). I ended up going to court and being very polite. Got the points removed and the fine cut in half.

That place near SA reminds me of Ocala FL. At one time the Sheriff stated on TV that they are so aggressive because they need the revenue.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by tex_phil
I'm not worried about a lawyer, I pay a monthly fee for a service. So its no extra to have a lawyer go to court for me. The ticket shows he got me on RADAR not by pacing (or whatever term they use for it). The small area outside SA I got pulled is one of the worst in the USA for tickets. Check out this fact for 2000-2008. The population for Selma is 4600

Total tickets:
Total Revenue:
$10,352,606

I had the feeling you were talking about Selma. Selma has had a reputation as a speed trap for many, many years. Used to be the judge would point a radar gun out his window whenever he got bored (the courthouse was right next to the interstate), and send a trooper after any speeder he got.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

here in Michigan you have the right to have all the elements of the traffic stop fully disclosed. the last inspection date of the police cruiser, the last calibration date of the radar/laser gun, the records of the readings from that equipment etc. at the end of the day, its all evidence in what is a legal matter so you have the right ( i would assume) in any US state/city to examine all evidence against you (unless its some Patriot Act shit....then ur fucked lol but thats another story). so the cop cannot just make up evidence then call it your word against his....esp if you have a clean driving record....you could simply say that to err is human and w/o hard evidence the ticket should be tossed.

good luck either way. ive gone to court on almost every ticket ive ever gotten and have been successful most of the time because cops rarely do their due diligence. AND i only speed where i know i can get away w/ it (inner city Detroit)

Quick Reply: Pulled over using a V1