Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Property Taxes -Highest In the USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious why NJ residents allow this year after year after year. There must be something so good about living in NJ that it offsets the high taxes. Just curious. I pay about $2600 per year for a $650+k home in Colorado.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/ta..._lnk2%7C176303
Old 10-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GregBrand
Curious why NJ residents allow this year after year after year. There must be something so good about living in NJ that it offsets the high taxes. Just curious. I pay about $2600 per year for a $650+k home in Colorado.

http://www.dailyfina...3_lnk2%7C176303
It's no secret ... NJ has the best politicians money can buy ...
Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Being from NY, and working in Jersey and with some people who live in Jersey I can tell you:

There is nothing good about living in Jersey. Jersey is the perfect example of a tax hungry monster that is NEVER satiated. To Finance human breeders/dregs of society, and also overpay city/state employees who get salaries more than the private sector and pension and health benefits to die for, the entirety of the tri-state area looks one place: the upper-middle and middle class and property/gas/usary taxes.

Living in the NY/NJ/CT area is one of the only places in the country where you can make $150,000 a year and still not afford a house because of ridiculously inflated values of homes, income taxes and property taxes.

To add to this, the fucking car insurance is down-right robbery here too. I pay $400 a month for 2 cars and I know I'm not alone.

Sorry to rant, but its fucking irratating.

/endrant
Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Senior Members

NYC530XI:

$250/month for mine in EU. Gasoline is $6 a gallon. Property taxes are about the same. Income tax is mostly 19-22%. Lowest possible personal insurance is about $220/month.

And this is considered normal.

You're actually lucky...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Contributors

it would be great if they broke down the stats by municipality to get a better picture of this...while this median is the highest at the State aggregate level, i would suggest that NY is even worse if you look at the populated areas like Long Island; in Nassau County our average has to be well above the posted rate in NJ, I dont know anyone with property taxes less than $10K per year! And what do you get for that? garbage removal!!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

It was a trade off, when I had my house in Englewood, NJ. The schools were some of the best around, career specific high schools such as IT oriented with teachers from IBM, Cisco, Microsoft, etc. Yeah, I didn't have kids at the time, but if I had I wouldn't mind them going to public schools in Bergen County. Those of you who know the area know the area around Teaneck, Englewood, Alpine, not exactly ghetto. So it isn't like the stereotypical NJ lifestyle.
Advantage: I regularly got to Manhattan quicker than friends that lived in Brooklyn, nice downtown area, many many celebrities lived there (Eddie Murphy's Bubble Hill Estate was a block and half away from my house)

Disadvantage: My $550k house cost $16k/yr in property taxes
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by m630
it would be great if they broke down the stats by municipality to get a better picture of this...while this median is the highest at the State aggregate level, i would suggest that NY is even worse if you look at the populated areas like Long Island; in Nassau County our average has to be well above the posted rate in NJ, I dont know anyone with property taxes less than $10K per year! And what do you get for that? garbage removal!!
+1. It's easy to say as a blanket statement that NJ has the highest property tax in avg. Just like the government says making $250k a year is considered rich for married couple, but it's hardly true if you live in the tri-states area.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

mine are around 6 grand give or take a little, but my friend lives in Lincroft, NJ and his are about 18,000$. He chokes on it, and him and his wife said they would [ut there kids in public school, yet there in private. Hes scraping the barrel to live a certain "lifestyle".. Playdates near her area consist of Cabanas at the beach club.. gimmie a break, I would live in a lower class area over that phonyness any day. Same goes for up northern , NJ. My Aunt lives there and although shes in a townhouse, and plans on moving, the area is "rich" to say the least ( saddle river, Ridgewood). Those who know, know.lol