Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

The "Post Count"

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='902766' date='Jun 6 2009, 03:32 PM

Okay, so anyone who has a membership on a message forum somewhere on the internet, which is likely the vast majority of the population is familiar with the infamous post count. A high post count I think was originally intended to provide other members with a gauge of activity and longevity on the boards of another member. This isnt always the case. Many times it directly relates to how much of a post whore someone is. When i think of high post count, i think "wow, you need to get laid" or "get a life already" but then i find myself whoring around and looking at my post count.

So what is it about the post count? Why do people care about it? and why do people not admit to caring about it? or is it that they do subconsciously care, but not enough to actually care. As i sit here, i can say, I do not care about my post count at all, but I am sure at some point in the next day or two I will find myself checking "today's top 20 posters"

why I ask you?

psychologists are more then welcome to chime in.
you are obessed with your post count.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='902766' date='Jun 6 2009, 04:32 PM

Okay, so anyone who has a membership on a message forum somewhere on the internet, which is likely the vast majority of the population is familiar with the infamous post count. A high post count I think was originally intended to provide other members with a gauge of activity and longevity on the boards of another member. This isnt always the case. Many times it directly relates to how much of a post whore someone is. When i think of high post count, i think "wow, you need to get laid" or "get a life already" but then i find myself whoring around and looking at my post count.

So what is it about the post count? Why do people care about it? and why do people not admit to caring about it? or is it that they do subconsciously care, but not enough to actually care. As i sit here, i can say, I do not care about my post count at all, but I am sure at some point in the next day or two I will find myself checking "today's top 20 posters"

why I ask you?

psychologists are more then welcome to chime in.
Let me see, so you think you have a "problem" and are trying to get free advice in here... j/k
Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='902830' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:43 PM
you are obessed with your post count.

no. just fascinated with the post count phenomenon. like i said, this is discussed all over the internet. after the "technological revolution" the post count became some sort of online community standard of measurement.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='902873' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:29 PM

no. just fascinated with the post count phenomenon. like i said, this is discussed all over the internet. after the "technological revolution" the post count became some sort of online community standard of measurement.

Intriguing subject. Thanks for bringing it up. For what it is worth I probably have checked my post count 3 or 4 times in a year. I look at other's post count only when it is the subject of a discussion.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Never really looked at my post count until someone else mentioned it (westcoast550 @ my 1K post I think), I used to PW a bit going back and forth trading jokes with the same members in various threads. After awhile I started talking to members via aim, bbm, fb or just pm. Is it still considered whoring if you are answering q's or contributing to a discussion/topic?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by jdcinc21' post='902798' date='Jun 6 2009, 02:08 PM

There is only one thing that counts on this forum.

How many Mods you have, not how many post.

The more Mods you have the more knowledge you have of the E60.
The more post you have the more bored you are at work.
Sorry, but I am going to disagree with that statement, some of the most knowledgeable members have very few if any mods
Old 06-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='902912' date='Jun 6 2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry, but I am going to disagree with that statement, some of the most knowledgeable members have very few if any mods
some of the most knowledgeable members have google!

Gene could find Osama Bin Laden with google.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

The post count, outside of this forum, is meaningless. Here, which probably applies to any forum which tracks and displays post counts, shows how seasoned the indivdual is. I can't really think of any other reason why it matters. I can tell you that I am always cautious when I see a newbie post. Sometimes I wonder if it's someone trying to get a cheap laugh, or its really a newbie question. In any case, I never payed much attention to it until I saw others celebrating forum milestone post counts. When I see this, I congratulate them, as I feel that those with a high post count can safely be considered a true e60 enthusiast. Not that a newbie is not, because we were all newbies at one time....but a high post count generally means you're here because you love this car. A good % of your posts may be " to the forums!!!" but really, who cares. If you love the car and love being a member of this forum, you should be recoginized for it.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

This thread doesn't change anything craig, I am still gonna beat you to 2500.

But seriously, once you have been on this forum for a few months you know exactly who post whores and who doesn't. And I think most of us have found a good balance I try to keep my post whoring to a minimum although I "+1" ever so often. But I really try to help anyone I can. I think Gene here is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

Bottom line is, the newcomers will probably give more attention to the high post count people but will soon learn that even people with low post counts can give good input.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='902912' date='Jun 6 2009, 07:46 PM
+1.

Word Gene. Word.

Quick Reply: The "Post Count"