Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

parking violation from building department

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

when i got home from work yesterday, i saw a yellow violation notice on my door, it says illegal parking a car on side yard, my front door facing south and my garage facing east
i parked my car outside of my garage, but inside the metal fence, i thought i can park the car in my own property, is it true?
i only have one garage, and it is hard to find parking on street in queens, i see all people park their cars outside of their garage in queens, why they only pick me for violation?

any lawyer or anyone from building deparment/ecb here can help me?
Old 07-08-2010 | 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Did you park on the driveway or the lawn? Take a picture and post it here. So we can see what happened exactly.
Old 07-08-2010 | 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Shouldn't it be stated in your homeowners policy, homeowners association policy or rental agreement? I know plenty of neighborhoods where they won't even let you park on your own driveway overnight.
Old 07-08-2010 | 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by theXman
Did you park on the driveway or the lawn? Take a picture and post it here. So we can see what happened exactly.
here is the picture from google map
the white infiniti inside the metal fence
parking violation from building department-justice.jpg
Old 07-08-2010 | 07:53 AM
Contributors

That is not a driveway for sure. Well, I'm not a lawyer or familiar with the parking rules (disclaimer). But I've heard cops ticketed people for parking cars on the lawn of their own home. Does any of your neighbors park their cars the same way? If so, are you the only one who got ticketed?
Old 07-08-2010 | 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by theXman
That is not a driveway for sure. Well, I'm not a lawyer or familiar with the parking rules (disclaimer). But I've heard cops ticketed people for parking cars on the lawn of their own home. Does any of your neighbors park their cars the same way? If so, are you the only one who got ticketed?
yes, not only my neighbors, most people in queens park their cars like that, i dont think they get tickets
it is not parking ticket from DMV, but from building department, i think DMV cannot issue a ticket for a car inside people's property
Old 07-08-2010 | 07:14 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

this sucks! U should be able to park ur car on ur own property however you like as long as it doesnt endanger anyone else. What happened to a free country? People's Republic of China is more free than United States of America!!!! Good luck Raymond.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/par...olations.shtml

#97 Parking in a vacant lot. A vehicle may be parked on a vacant lot having a municipally authorized driveway upon written permission of the owner.

So I think it means as long as your give permission to yourself, you are good.

Can't park it on a lawn but it's not a lawn.

Cars may be parked: in the garage; on the driveway or any
other paved surface, except the public sidewalk; in side
yards that are not adjacent to a street if no required exits
from the house are blocked; in the rear yard if 60% of the
yard area remains open space; and on the street as long as
they are moved every 72 hours.

Old 07-08-2010 | 07:31 PM
Contributors

From the Building Dept., that means someone a-hole has called them and they came out to investigate then wrote your a ticket for it. There is probably a building code somewhere that you have violated. GL
Old 07-09-2010 | 02:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

That sucks. Yet another reason why i don't live in a big city =) We had the same issues with our house in San Antonio you weren't supposed to park your car in the driveway. So when we moved to Ohio i made sure to get a 3 car garage and even so i don't have room for all my toys....

What can the Building Dept do? In SA they told me they would put a lein on my house if i didn't pay the fines, but i always got out of it. My favorite fine was a note i got saying my Trash Can was in View from the curb, and the date was on trash pick up day....
Old 07-09-2010 | 04:43 AM
Senior Members

yes john, i did some research, that link apply to DMV, they cant give you ticket for the vehicle park inside your property, but building department can write a violation

on the violation, it says: "parking regulation in a residential district: storage and parking of a vehicle(plate) in the side yard"

guess government need money, and they try to rip off, it is $800 penalty
Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
this sucks! U should be able to park ur car on ur own property however you like as long as it doesnt endanger anyone else. What happened to a free country? People's Republic of China is more free than United States of America!!!! Good luck Raymond.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/par...olations.shtml

#97 Parking in a vacant lot. A vehicle may be parked on a vacant lot having a municipally authorized driveway upon written permission of the owner.

So I think it means as long as your give permission to yourself, you are good.

Can't park it on a lawn but it's not a lawn.

Cars may be parked: in the garage; on the driveway or any
other paved surface, except the public sidewalk; in side
yards that are not adjacent to a street if no required exits
from the house are blocked; in the rear yard if 60% of the
yard area remains open space; and on the street as long as
they are moved every 72 hours.

Quick Reply: parking violation from building department