Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i

Tonight, after a long day of moving, I dozed off in my E60 and hit a median. Thankfully there were no injuries and I didn't cause any damage to anything but my car. The driver's air bag as well as side air bag deployed, and there's some significant underbody damage. None of the body panels appear to be damanged and, amazingly, none of the tires went flat (I don't have run-flats).

BMW Assist was on the line within about 20 seconds and arranged to have it towed to my dealership. They were there within 15 minutes to get the car. Pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, during that time a police cruiser came by and saw the accident and cited me. Also, I guess to pour salt on the wound, wrote me a $150 ticket for "failure to maintain control of my vehicle". I thought that was awfully gracious of him.

I'm curious to see what the repair bill is for this. I've heard the airbag modules aren't cheap!

Pat
Old 03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

sorry to hear what happened to you :'( but glad to hear you are ok. i don't think you have to worry to much about repair bills. your insurance will take care of that. i've heard most of the insurance companies will consider your car as totalled if any airbag popped. look at the bright side, you'll get a new car soon .
Old 03-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh man... sorry to hear. glad you're ok tho. And that cop ARGH! I'll hold myself back on my horrid comment that i was about to make on him.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Members

failure to maintain control of your vehicle?

wow - he must have been bored.

or jealous that you could afford an e60 - and wreck it , so i guess he figured pouring some salt on your wound would make his day a better one.

i too, will hold back on the profanities...
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 AM

Ohio police are notorious. I really hate driving through that state. Glad you are OK, hope you get your baby back well or a new baby soon! With the damage you described, I don't think it'll be a new baby, but who knows.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Sorry, I'm at my mother in-law's house...that was me!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

You dozed off? Jees.. Hate to say it, but you deserved that ticket

Anyone near "dozing off" shouldn't behind the wheel, driving. Imagine what would've happened if there was no "median", and you hit a car carrying people?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Members

Sorry to hear that. I've been there buddy, never hit anything but have come close. Sometimes you don't have a choice, you have to get from Point A to Point B even if you are tired. Luckily in NJ there are frequest rest stops when I make my late night Atlantic City trips
Old 03-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by parnola' date='Mar 17 2005, 01:20 AM
Tonight, after a long day of moving, I dozed off in my E60 and hit a median.? Thankfully there were no injuries and I didn't cause any damage to anything but my car.? The driver's air bag as well as side air bag deployed, and there's some significant underbody damage.? None of the body panels appear to be damanged and, amazingly, none of the tires went flat (I don't have run-flats).

BMW Assist was on the line within about 20 seconds and arranged to have it towed to my dealership.? They were there within 15 minutes to get the car.? Pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, during that time a police cruiser came by and saw the accident and cited me.? Also, I guess to pour salt on the wound, wrote me a $150 ticket for "failure to maintain control of my vehicle".? I thought that was awfully gracious of him.

I'm curious to see what the repair bill is for this.? I've heard the airbag modules aren't cheap!

Pat
[snapback]102675[/snapback]
You just have to respect certain members of the law enforcement community.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 17 2005, 12:12 PM
Ohio police are notorious.? I really hate driving through that state.? Glad you are OK, hope you get your baby back well or a new baby soon!? With the damage you described, I don't think it'll be a new baby, but who knows.
[snapback]102865[/snapback]
Whenever I'm in Ohio, the term "Gestapo" always seems to come to mind.

Quick Reply: Ouch