Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Obama Grants BP Exemption

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Iceman
Not me...

Not yet...

That's probably why I am still where/who I am...

Let's hope you never get corrupted
Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Not me...

Not yet...

That's probably why I am still where/who I am...

Ice, u cant get ahead in that world, u need to be a bloodsuckin leech to succeed in politics and certianly that does not describe you!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Are you literate? Really? Do you read the whole post? What was left leaning about that posting? When the general theme was: The more things change the more they stay the same. Please step into the real world Greg, reality called - it's for you
Ahh. A very common tactic of the radical left. Unable to address the issues intelligently they strike back by name calling and by the use of ad hominem attacks.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Surely you see the irony, Greg, in that your own posts show you to be equally guilty of those same crimes that you accuse others of committing...

I actually agree with you that it is unaccpetable that supervision seems to have failed in relation to the current Gulf disaster. Perhaps tighter environmental control, something I expect of the current administration might have prevented this disaster. There are some legitimate questions that are yet to be answered. If any good comes out of this disaster it will probably be in the form of better and more meaningful oversight. That said, it is not likely that the answer that BP got would have been any different had the request for exemption been adjudicated when the last administration was in power. Thus, it is arguably simply your own partisanship which causes your post to blame Obama when the actual failing was at a government agency which behaved today exactly as it would have behaved prior to January 2009. Mind you - there are still way too many unanswered questions about this disaster in general. We do not yet know why it happened, what might have prevented and which parties - it goes well beyond just BP - must accept responsibility.

Now to business. While I again agree with you that there is a tendency in partisan politics to simply blame the other guy - and all sides are equally guilty - I think here there is a legitimate reason for others raising the specter of the ties of the past administration to oil companies. That is because the prior administration had deep and significant ties to the oil industry - which many observers, including myself, believe went wellbeyond that which was reasonable or acceptable.

It is my opinion that these ties, in part, lead to the sequence of events which culminated in the spending of trillions of dollars on a war the country had no reason to take on board, a war which it could not afford and which consigned well over 4000 servicemen and women to their deaths, never mind the tens of thousands more civilians and opposition troops who had no absolutely desire to be caught up in the events either. Some of our own forum members have served and been placed at terrible risk in Iraq - which remains a war that quite simply would not have happened had Iraq not been an oil-rich country. There are countries where even greater genocide is rampant and which represent much greater threats to world stability that the old Iraq ever did, but there's little to no interest in being the world police when those countries don't have oil... Are there not equally legitimate questions about why this may be? Are there not equally legitimate questions about the billions in contracts awarded to oil companies, some of them without competitive tender and much of them awarded to Halliburton and KBR?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:16 AM
Contributors

BP should have never ever ever ever been granted shit by anybody ever. ever. Here is why:

- illeagaly dumping hazardous waste for years (which they were eventually caught doing)

- The 2005 Texas refinery explosion that left 15 dead and 180 injured do to mismanagement from corporate on down (investigations by OSHA revieled) and resulted in the largest fine in OSHA history

- their violation of the clean air act (which resulted in a felony conviction and 3 years probation)

- the propane price manipulation scandal, where BP paid the US government a $303 million fine, the largest commodity market settlement ever in the US

- accusations of them benefiting from a regime of terror carried out by Colombian government paramilitaries to protect a 450-mile pipeline in columbia

- being cited as the most polluting company in the US based on EPA toxic release data

- being charged with burning polluted gases at its Ohio refinery (for which it was fined $1.7 million)

- allowing 270,000 gallons of crude oil to spread into the Alaskan tundra (for which they are facing criminal charges)

- being named one of the "ten worst corporations" in both 2001 and 2005 based on its environmental and human rights records

- accusations of human rights violations for their involvement in the construction of the Baku?Tbilisi?Ceyhan pipeline.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The heart of the problem is that our regulatory agencies are co-opted by the very businesses they regulate. What regulator is going to f*ck over a company that he will shortly be seeking employment from?

And now with the Supreme Court having recently removed all limits on corporate giving to political campaigns, if you thought that DC was a swamp of corruption before, it will soon be the seventh level of Hades.

As for BP, all of its US oil drilling licenses should be revoked. It is times like this when I think that I should have been a plaintiffs' lawyer.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871
The heart of the problem is that our regulatory agencies are co-opted by the very businesses they regulate. What regulator is going to f*ck over a company that he will shortly be seeking employment from?

And now with the Supreme Court having recently removed all limits on corporate giving to political campaigns, if you thought that DC was a swamp of corruption before, it will soon be the seventh level of Hades.

As for BP, all of its US oil drilling licenses should be revoked. It is times like this when I think that I should have been a plaintiffs' lawyer.
+1 - Very well said!