Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

NY drunk drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello people and especially NY residents.

I have a question: i heard last night on a tv show that in New York if you're caught DUI above a certain limit or smth like that your car is taken way by the cops (along with our suspended license) and the car is later-on subjected to monthly bids. I understood that there are monthly bids with such cars and owners can only get them back by bidding and winning the auction.

Is this correct for NY or for any other state of USA?

Also what does the legislation foresee about excessive speeding and jail time?

Thank you!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Are you planning on attending these auctions?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SMG353' post='557991' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:11 PM
Are you planning on attending these auctions?
No, i was debating about this at my office and i didn't find anything on a quick google search

A colleague of mine said it is impossible for such a thing and it is outrageous in the way that it somehow crosses the right to property.

I for one applaud such a thing even if it is not real.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='557992' date='Apr 8 2008, 12:13 PM
No, i was debating about this at my office and i didn't find anything on a quick google search

A colleague of mine said it is impossible for such a thing and it is outrageous in the way that it somehow crosses the right to property.

I for one applaud such a thing even if it is not real.
Well it is. NY has a no tolerace thing. Bottom line, you get cought even with one drink, not drunk, they have the right to (at the discression of the office) take the car away, and put at aution. No if yoru drunk adn get cought, your just stupid, because it's will deffinitly happen. Then the only way to get it back, is that you have to buy it back at aution, and who knows how much your gunna pay. Plus all the fines and lawyer fees on top to get you out of that mess.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the input.

Good initiative. I understood that this was done unde mayor Giulliani
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

its not as clear cut as this description. There have been some amendments since first introduced as well. Also, if the car is a lease or has a large note attached, legally they cannot take ownership...however, the point is still valid, dont get caught drunk driving in NY, it will surely cause you lots of pain and $$$$
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I think this was actual a policy of NYC and certain counties, interpreting the law relating to the seizure of property used in a crime. The theory is that a car is the property used in the crime of DUI/DWI. I do not believe this is a state wide policy or law.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Nassau and Suffolk also adopted a similar policy, but alot of lawsuits have limited the scope, still, they can hurt you big time in the pocket if you get caught...
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by m630' post='558084' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:17 PM
Nassau and Suffolk also adopted a similar policy, but alot of lawsuits have limited the scope, still, they can hurt you big time in the pocket if you get caught...

this is not as cut and dry as you all think.. my cousin recently got arrested...dont even ask. funniest stupidist thing ever.. but thats another story.. anyways..they took his car.. a benz.. it went to the impound lot..it sat there and waitied till he got a letter from the police dept. some kind of voucher.. AND.. then he went and got it after searching for friggen days! all in all it took weeks to get done.. in the end he relinquished the car to them because the damage was so bad that it wasnt worth it for him to pay to get it out.. then get fixed..(older benz) my dad is a cop and i believe they may still take your car.. but a few things have changed due to insurance policies etc.. i never heard anything about having to bid to get your car back.. dont know where you heard that one.. hope htis helped
Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

I understood that you have to bid because that was the only way to get it back, ok i might not remember clearly but i really remember it was a way to get it back. The person that brought those things up on a TV show here was dbating some initiatives as the elections for the city mayor are getting close in Bucharest. He applauded that NY initiative. That's why i wanted to find out how much of it is real or not.

Quick Reply: NY drunk drivers