Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Not E60 related.Important if you have a front load washer!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

If you have a Whirlpool Duet Washer and your towels are smelling bad, there is a serious problem with this machine. There is a design flaw that makes the washer a breeding ground for mold!! I just spent 2 hours taking the washer apart and used about a gallon of bleach. It was totally disgusting and unexpected from a $1000+ machine!! It's a serious health issue as my kids have asthma and allergies that have been exacerbated from this washer. There is a class action suit filed against Whirlpool.

Just thought you guys and gals would like to know!

Will
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Contributors

this would have been better suited for the lounge, then you wouldn't have had to preface it with "not e60 related" implying that you know better then to post it in the e60 discussion forum

Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='955958' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:48 PM
this would have been better suited for the lounge, then you wouldn't have had to preface it with "not e60 related" implying that you know better then to post it in the e60 discussion forum

+1
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by lospice1' post='955952' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:42 PM
If you have a Whirlpool Duet Washer and your towels are smelling bad, there is a serious problem with this machine. There is a design flaw that makes the washer a breeding ground for mold!! I just spent 2 hours taking the washer apart and used about a gallon of bleach. It was totally disgusting and unexpected from a $1000+ machine!! It's a serious health issue as my kids have asthma and allergies that have been exacerbated from this washer. There is a class action suit filed against Whirlpool.

Just thought you guys and gals would like to know!

Will
Admittedly this is not even CLOSE to E60 related, that being said... I have an HE washer too, though it's top loading, and it too can get that smell etc. HOWEVER Whirlpool added a cleaning cycle that COMPLETELY fixes the problem! Check your owners manual and see if your washer has a similar cycle! Good Luck especially as it pertains to your kids too!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Members

My Ride: My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 - SMG 2009 Jet Black E70 X5 4.8i Sport

This is a common problem with front load washing machines. Check out SmellyWasher.com My underwear really smell from constantly shitting myself, this stuff works great.

What Causes Washing Machine Odor and Towel Mildew Smell?

There are 4 reasons for washing machine odor and stinky towels.

1. The main cause of front load or top load stink is overuse of detergents because the user is following directions for amount used. It?s necessary to use just a fraction of what directions on the box or bottle advise to use. This is especially important if using liquid detergent or if there is a water softener in the home. With a water softener present use at the most 1 tablespoon of detergent unless washing soiled dishrags, diapers,etc. Municipally supplied water may be treated before it gets to your home. The best way to know is to either have your water tested for hardness or test it yourself with test strips available at hardware or appliance parts stores. Even without soft water using much less detergent is necessary.

2. Running a close second is fabric softener use. We recommend switching to dryer sheets. Keep in mind that dryer sheets can also be overused and cause towels to be less absorbent and to retain odor. The sheets can be cut into halves or thirds and can even be reused. Dryer balls are another option. There is another article on this blog page discussing the merits and demerits of them.

3. The third not-so-common reason for clothes washer smells is using mainly cold water for washing. Hot water dissolves detergent residue much better than cold water. If this is you - it?s necessary to do a hot soak at least once a week to dissolve any residue that has accumulated throughout the week. This is a perfect chance to soak soiled dishrags, etc. Ensure the water supply hoses to your washer are properly connected so you?re getting hot washes and cold rinses when you want. This problem is more common that you?d realize!

4. Another cause of washing machine odor is non-use of the appliance. If you are not going to use the washer for an extended period it?s a good idea to do a cleaning with a washing machine cleaner. If leaving for a vacation shut the supply hoses off in case of a hose break. Bleach or vinegar spilled on rubber water hoses will cause deterioration and eventually a ruptured hose to flood the laundry area.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by C's Bitter' post='956248' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:13 PM
This is a common problem with front load washing machines. Check out SmellyWasher.com My underwear really smell from constantly shitting myself, this stuff works great.
LOL!!!!!Here we go again!!!