Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

not big on the future of diesel cars in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

So looks like US dont like diesel cars.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/12/video-i...ls-future-in-t/
Old 07-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, 1995 318ic retired circa 1970 2002, , circa 1985 320, 1998 528i, 1998 740i

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='447057' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:15 PM
So looks like US dont like diesel cars.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/12/video-i...ls-future-in-t/
You are making a generalization out of the story by saying that the US does not like diesels. Bob Lutz (one person) is not high on diesels which is his opinion at GM. Of course he will say that as I am not aware that GM has a decent diesel to market.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Senior Members

Its some what true, diesels just have a bad rap here from the past. Plus diesel fuel price is the same if not more than regular gas. Not really a reason to change over. Only people in the U.S. that use diesels are the huge diesel pick-up trucks made to have lots of torque to tow sh*t.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fjwagner' post='447087' date='Jul 13 2007, 02:36 PM
You are making a generalization out of the story by saying that the US does not like diesels. Bob Lutz (one person) is not high on diesels which is his opinion at GM. Of course he will say that as I am not aware that GM has a decent diesel to market.
then I say US car maker dont like diesel car.
you do know why, dont you.
It just like HK, it all about money in the end not about the Globly warming
if every 1 drive a diesel car then the goverment and the fuel station will loss alot of money.
for us we get more MPG for the money which is good
In HK the petro tax is more than the petro goods :thumbsdown:
Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, 1995 318ic retired circa 1970 2002, , circa 1985 320, 1998 528i, 1998 740i

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='447106' date='Jul 13 2007, 02:46 AM
then I say US car maker dont like diesel car.
you do know why, dont you.
It just like HK, it all about money in the end not about the Globly warming
if every 1 drive a diesel car then the goverment and the fuel station will loss alot of money.
for us we get more MPG for the money which is good
In HK the petro tax is more than the petro goods :thumbsdown:
I for one am not a believer in global warming but probably dangerous to start that thread here. However, you were making the point that the US (more accurately GM) does not like diesels which does not have much to do with the govt which you bring up in your follow-up post. The fuel station will be just fine as prices will gravitate to profitability for all involved. I suspect your high petro tax accomplishes two things; revenue for the govt plus controlling the number of cars on your congested roads. My experience from living in Malaysia is quite similar regarding price at the pump and taxes at the pump.

Fred
Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fjwagner' post='447511' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:22 PM
I for one am not a believer in global warming but probably dangerous to start that thread here.
Fred
Not a big believer either. One of the main points of Former Vice President Al Gore ridiculous global warming movie states the more we produce CO2 the more it will drive temperature up. Well its has been scientifically been proven to be the complete opposite, that actually temperature changes before the CO2, the ice-core records show it.

One fact in Gore's film that people should Google. The cause-and-effect relationship of CO2 and temperatures. Obviously, temperatures go up throughout history. The scientific literature is fairly clear, fairly uniform. Temperatures go up; then, CO2 concentrations go up. CO2 does not drive temperature.

I can't believe this guy won awards from this documentary, a freakin oscar. Well I guess I can, since the liberal left wing media had something to do with it.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

How can you not believe in global warming? I mean how ignorant can one be?!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='447611' date='Jul 14 2007, 06:43 PM
How can you not believe in global warming? I mean how ignorant can one be?!
maybe he dose not have kids.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='447669' date='Jul 14 2007, 11:41 AM
maybe he dose not have kids.

... and what does that have to do with anything?

The global warming scare is just a big business. My biggest issue is that the contrarians are not "allowed" to speak out. The world wide temperatures have always changed and will continue to change. ie ice ages followed by warming trends over and over again; and this has happened even before industrialization. Imagine that!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fjwagner' post='447745' date='Jul 14 2007, 11:20 PM
... and what does that have to do with anything?

The global warming scare is just a big business. My biggest issue is that the contrarians are not "allowed" to speak out. The world wide temperatures have always changed and will continue to change. ie ice ages followed by warming trends over and over again; and this has happened even before industrialization. Imagine that!
Contrarians are allowed to speak out, but imo they should sustain their arguments logically.

Yes but you forget the exponential factor that changes the weather. Think out of the box for a second:

Here are some data for all of you "non believers"

Here is the projected growing factor of global temperatures resulted by the greenhouse effect, effect resulted primarily by the growing gas emissions (CO2, methane, and so on...)

And here are some data for you to sleep on it:

Without the greenhouse effect the average temperatures on Earth would be around -18 degrees Celsius. Because of the greenhouse effect the average temperatures in our days reach the value of +15 degrees Celsius, greenhouse having a contribution of 33 degrees.
    Those are just some quick facts especially for, sorry to say this, some ignorant Americans like yourself. Do you have any clue why the nature is gone wild in US in the last couple of years? Why the extreme weather has intensified that much (eg. Katrina)? In my country this summer we are living here is officially the hottest summer in the history of Romania. Regular 40 degrees Celsius in daytime and from time to time we get storms we never seen before (lower in intensity that what you get but still very powerful). Also there's a prediction that soon our green fields will turn into desert (a matter of 10-20 years). Last winter we had the warmest winter in history. It was kinda like what you USED to get in California (regular +10 to +15 degrees Celsius) and it snowed just in a day resulting not even 5 cms of snow. Last winter i saw ravages of the snow in California, i remember seeing Oranges crops being destroyed by the chill.

Otherwise the weather is fine...no biggie

PS: I don't have children either, but that doesn't make me ignorant.

Quick Reply: not big on the future of diesel cars in the U.S.