Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

No climate changes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys I'm SUPER serial!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stoic1
How long have we been keeping accurate records of weather? Maybe 125 years and thats stretching it. In the time the earth has been here, 125 years is nothing.
I'm not on the Al Gore side of things, but when analyzing ice cores from the antarctic (which is a bit like looking at the rings of a tree to see how old it is) the scientists have been able to effectively build up weather and CO2 level records for many millions of years. The only problem is that they misinterpret the results of the data.

Originally Posted by Krozi
To put it into perspective, a good sized volcano eruption produces more CO2 than do all the World's cars in 5 years.
Plus all the burping cows and flying jets of the world produce way more than the world's cars could even if they were all V8s. The cars should be the last thing that's being targeted for improvement. Instead they're the first thing, and the gas guzzlers are being replaced with things like a Prius which itself has a huge carbon footprint in it's construction, needing precious metals from all over the world to build one. It's way more carbon neutral to just buy an old V8. It'd take about 200 years for the Prius to turn a profit in carbon footprint terms.

Here's a blog entry I made about climate change.

I'm not saying it's definitely not our fault, I just don't yet totally believe it is.

Although I watched "An Inconvenient Truth" and it was very convincing, it was based on a lot of studies that were chosen for their results that were adding to their argument. Any studies (and there are many) that dispute the claims are conveniently ignored. Someone could easily make a film using government or university studies that makes entirely the opposite claims. Nobody has though. If Lord Monckton had the profile and backing that Al Gore had, then I wouldn't be surprised if it put huge doubts in a lot of people's minds. Here he is in debate with a greenpeace protestor:

Although his arguments could also be brought into question, he certainly opens up your mind to the idea that what Al Gore presents to us is not the only viewpoint. Everyone who presents an argument one way or the other has an agenda (except me of course).

There are still a large number of scientists that don't even believe that human activity (or the cows that exist as a result of our need to eat them) have anything to do with the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere. They say it's not a simple case of cause and effect, with our increases in CO2 emissions assumed to be the cause, and the global warming assumed to be the effect. These opposite-view scientists say that it could well be that the global warming that has been happening for over 10,000 years is the cause, and the effect is the higher levels of CO2. It's kind of like finding a car crash with the driver dead, and jumping to the conclusion that he died as a result of the crash. It could of course be the opposite, he may have died and then the car went onto crash because of his no longer controlling it. It's too easy to jump to the wrong conclusion and scientists are doing it all too often.

It's equally disputed whether the melting ice-caps and glaciers will result in a big increase in sea levels. It will change the temperature of the oceans and that will change the weather. The increase in air temperature as a result of the global warming could mean an increase in evaporation from the sea, leading to more rain on land (or more snow in winter) and that might very well balance out the effect as the balancing out of replacing white land (snow) in one place and placing it elsewhere can restore the sun reflectiveness balance, or perhaps even increase it.

The increased rate of melting of glaciers is also natural. A melting glacier doesn't follow a linear path, it's closer to an exponential one. It starts to melt more quickly the smaller it gets. It's not automatically an indicator of global warming having anything to do with it. Try watching how quickly an ice-cube melts in a warm drink. The size reduction is almost imperceptible at the beginning, but is very rapid at the end. Same deal with glaciers. Those ill-informed observers who are saying look how rapidly the glaciers are melting now compared to 100 years ago don't understand basic science.

The simple fact is that the planet is warming and has been for the last few thousand years (and cyclically since the planet formed), but it doesn't need "saving". It will continue to warm and cool for the next billion years. During which time all the plastic we've put into landfills will degrade, all the nuclear waste we've buried underground will exhaust it's radioactivity, and all the other things we've done will fade away too. The planet isn't in peril, only our ability to comfortably live on it are.

The save the planet protestors really ought to be saying "save our infrastucture investment, beachfront property and appealing climate".
Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Nice
Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

A really good discussion guys

Less CO2 is still better = less oil consumption.
We have also to remember that the supply of oil is limited.

My new F10 520dA only pollutes 137 g / km and that's not much more than a Prius.
I see that as a very positive matter.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
BP are wishing it were even more limited
Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
A really good discussion guys

Less CO2 is still better = less oil consumption.

My new F10 520dA only pollutes 137 g / km and that's not much more than a Prius.
I see that as a very positive matter.
Yes, nice to have a discussion that leaves emotions and ideology out of the science.

It is agreeable that the lower our footprint the better, in all resources though, not just oil! I try to do my part in all aspects of life, whether its public commuting on electeic trains to and from work each day, to using less water and electricity for normal activities, and on and on. If we're going to try to make the world a "better" place for all, we need to look at ourselves and all of our daily activites holisitically, and make choices that conserve in all possible areas.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by m630
Climate change is a very different subject, and different state of facts than those who belong to the Global Warming BS. We live in a dynamic planetary system which continually goes through climate change. That is a fact of life on our Earth-Moon system and has never been questioned. Now when some attempt to draw a coorelation based on ideology and linking human activities, primarily carbon output into the atmosphere as the MAIN cause of such variations, the discussion goes from science to a perceived conservationism based soley on "feelings". Our world was once frozen over as a snow ball, just as it was once a tropical oasis. Actually it was many times over both frozen and tropical, all when humans were millions, and sometimes billions of years from showing up from evolutionary lines. The farce of Global Warming is the conceit of the human condition to believe that we are so powerful that we could actually harm the Earth. We cannot. However, what we CAN do is harm the Earth is such a way that Human life is affected. A very different proposition. Our world has been bombared for all its nearly 4.5billion years in existence, and life has nearly been extinguished many times over, but each and every time, it has survived, and flourished, all without the "Terrible Hand" of humans.

I am all for everyone having a better understanding of the science and history of the Earth-Moon system (as it should be called-as there is alot of evidence that if not for our Moon, life itself may not have arose or survived on our world). Its only through an understanding of the history of our world that we may come to appreciate it and respect it, and realize that we can never tame it, only adapt to its changing will.
Very well said...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
To put it into perspective, a good sized volcano eruption produces more CO2 than do all the World's cars in 5 years.

And one the size of the Mount Pinatubo eruption in '91 produces more greenhouse gases than all of the world's cars since the invention of the automobile.