Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Best Twisty Roads in the Bay Area Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature
Thumbs up

Next week my wife and I are headed to San Francisco for a week's vacation.

Your recommendations for twisty roads within 2 hours drive of SF are welcome. We are renting a Camaro SS and want to make full use of the 426 bhp.

Also, any winery recommendations would be appreciated as well.

We are also hitting the Gilroy Garlic Festival.

Can't wait.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Take 280 South to 92 West and then take Skyline Blvd south. You can then pick up Hwy 9 and either go to the coast or back into the town of Saratoga. Maybe go through Saratoga Ave to Stevens Creek Blvd and head south and stop at Santana Row (corner of Stevens Creek and Winchester) for drinks, lunch/dinner, and shopping. It's probably the nicest complex in San Jose with great restaurants, bars, boutiques..etc... Actually if you can get there around 10:30AM or so on a Sat, the back parking lot has the weekly Cars and Coffee meet.

For wineries, you can head north to either Sonoma or Napa for tons of California's best vineyards. I'm not much of a wine guy but I've been to Strykers, Cake Bread and Duck Horn in Sonoma and they were all really good. Came as suggestions from my friend who's a wine connosieur.

If you go to the Garlic Festival, maybe I'll meet up with you as it's about 25 mins from my house.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Take 280 South to 92 West and then take Skyline Blvd south. You can then pick up Hwy 9 and either go to the coast or back into the town of Saratoga. Maybe go through Saratoga Ave to Stevens Creek Blvd and head south and stop at Santana Row (corner of Stevens Creek and Winchester) for drinks, lunch/dinner, and shopping. It's probably the nicest complex in San Jose with great restaurants, bars, boutiques..etc... Actually if you can get there around 10:30AM or so on a Sat, the back parking lot has the weekly Cars and Coffee meet.

For wineries, you can head north to either Sonoma or Napa for tons of California's best vineyards. I'm not much of a wine guy but I've been to Strykers, Cake Bread and Duck Horn in Sonoma and they were all really good. Came as suggestions from my friend who's a wine connosieur.

If you go to the Garlic Festival, maybe I'll meet up with you as it's about 25 mins from my house.

Thanks for the tips. We are going to the Gilroy Garlic Festival on Friday, July 23 during the daytime hours.

We have been to the winies many times. Duckhorn is amazing -- such outstanding Cabs and Merlots. Some of our favorite prior visits were to Opus One, Joseph Phelps, Swanson Vineyards (probably the longest and most involved tasting), Sterling Vineyards. Because we have done so much in Napa, we are seeing a lot of Sonoma wineries this trip (Chateu St. Jean, Ferrari Carano, Sebastiani, Gundlach Bundschu). But we do have time to hit a few Napa vineyards on Wed the 21st.

We're going to do lunch at Auberge de Soleil (that place is unbelievable) and the Girl and the Fig (one of my all time fav restaurants) and we're doing dinners at Quince in SF and Cyrus in Heraldsburg. Should be fun -- our trips to the Bay Area always are, which is why we keep coming back.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport - Silver-Grey, Nav, Active Cruise, HUD, sport seats, Logic-7, charcoal filter mod, Euro reflectors, hard-wired V1

Since you'll be at the GGF you can hit two of my favorite wineries near there - Solis in Gilroy and Clos LaChance in San Martin. The GGF packs out so I would hit it in the morning (preferably on Friday), then right after lunch you can visit Solis, and take Watsonville Rd. through some beautiful back country to Clos LaChance, then it's a short hop to 101 through Morgan Hill.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 5-string
Since you'll be at the GGF you can hit two of my favorite wineries near there - Solis in Gilroy and Clos LaChance in San Martin. The GGF packs out so I would hit it in the morning (preferably on Friday), then right after lunch you can visit Solis, and take Watsonville Rd. through some beautiful back country to Clos LaChance, then it's a short hop to 101 through Morgan Hill.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Anyone else? There has to be more than one good twisty road within 2 hours drive of SF. I am aware of the Oakville Grade connectiing the Napa and Sonoma Valleys. That one is a beaut.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Twisty's in San Fran? well Lombard of course

Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
Twisty's in San Fran? well Lombard of course