Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

New MBPs

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

m630, the Timecapsule should work just fine as the NAS for your Sonos, my only issue was that I had around 90GB in my iTunes library and it would have taken forever to have transferred all the data to the Timecapsule. Other than that the TimeCapsule would have worked out just fine. You'll still of course need a backup plan (the TC can backup to an external drive).

Right now, I have my main iTunes library on the NAS (my HP server) and I access it over the network. I created a little AppleScript to make sure the network share is mounted upon login. Other than that, I just pointed my Sonos to the HP server and it does the rest, you can easily schedule automatic library updates to keep everything in sync. In short, this lets the same library work for iTunes and Sonos (plus I can access it with my home theater amp and my PS3).

Look forward to hearing your take on the Sonos. I really love mine , got it when the first came out and I've just added another couple of zones. The new controller is much better than the original scroll wheel controller plus the free app for the iPhone/iTouch makes it virtually identical to the new touchscreen controller. I can't wait for them to release an iPad version.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

My aluminum MB is complete shit. HDD replaced after 6 months and since then it has been nothing but trouble. Mouse doesn't click, HDD occasionally un-mounts from desktop, when I try to access folders say in my documents it takes an average of 10 seconds to load.

Out of warranty.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
m630, the Timecapsule should work just fine as the NAS for your Sonos, my only issue was that I had around 90GB in my iTunes library and it would have taken forever to have transferred all the data to the Timecapsule. Other than that the TimeCapsule would have worked out just fine. You'll still of course need a backup plan (the TC can backup to an external drive).

Right now, I have my main iTunes library on the NAS (my HP server) and I access it over the network. I created a little AppleScript to make sure the network share is mounted upon login. Other than that, I just pointed my Sonos to the HP server and it does the rest, you can easily schedule automatic library updates to keep everything in sync. In short, this lets the same library work for iTunes and Sonos (plus I can access it with my home theater amp and my PS3).

Look forward to hearing your take on the Sonos. I really love mine , got it when the first came out and I've just added another couple of zones. The new controller is much better than the original scroll wheel controller plus the free app for the iPhone/iTouch makes it virtually identical to the new touchscreen controller. I can't wait for them to release an iPad version.
Thanks again for the heads up...I too have a very large music library but its all on disk to be uploaded since im starting over so to speak, so it will get uploaded over time which should allow the TC to keep up...I'll also go for another backup at some point once I get things going...

I'm getting a Sonos zone connected into my home theater as well, really cant wait till its all set up and get to play with it...the new controller looks really cool, and its nice to be able to have the iTouch as a secondary controller, and the iPad version is gotta be coming soon, that is gonna be really nice to see...I should have it all finished in the next month, so as soon as Im connected, I'll let you know, the hardest part was the wiring done which they just finished monday

now on to order my mbp!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
I would for sure get one but not because that i needed to replace my Late 2009 model but because it was stolen. That one was maxed out with the 3,06 GHz Core 2 Duo and 256 GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Sad and i miss it since i lost it from February, but i'm glad i waited. Will most likely get the same 15" model with the i7 Nehalem and the 512 GB SSD. Cannot go back to HDD, as i got too spoiled by the almost 0 delay in the SSD in launching apps. Also boot time i recorded my lost MBP to 13 seconds which was

Question is: High screen resolution screen glossy vs matte? I didn't find too much glare for my need with the glossy and i think the colors really look richer and deeper with the glossy.

got my MBP last week, its amazing!!!! you have to appreciate how seamless apple hardware and software work together and how easy it can be to setup peripherals, wifi and so in without any issues

any while you may have luved the SSD, i must report that i've timed my boot and its about 20secs with the 7200rpm HD, so not much is lost and the price difference is unjustified....the new HD glossy screen is beautiful, LED backlit and all must be seen to appreciate

swajames- timecapsle with the update is very quick! im adding about 20Gs of music per session, the initial session of the harddrive and the music took about an hour, and the incremental for the additional 17Gs took literally minutes, so im very happy with the performance of the backups you need to check it out, these updates and the performance are well worth a good look at
Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by m630
got my MBP last week, its amazing!!!! you have to appreciate how seamless apple hardware and software work together and how easy it can be to setup peripherals, wifi and so in without any issues

any while you may have luved the SSD, i must report that i've timed my boot and its about 20secs with the 7200rpm HD, so not much is lost and the price difference is unjustified....the new HD glossy screen is beautiful, LED backlit and all must be seen to appreciate

swajames- timecapsle with the update is very quick! im adding about 20Gs of music per session, the initial session of the harddrive and the music took about an hour, and the incremental for the additional 17Gs took literally minutes, so im very happy with the performance of the backups you need to check it out, these updates and the performance are well worth a good look at
Congrats on the new toy! I'll look into those TimeCapsule updates, sounds like yours is working well
Old 04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Congrats on the new toy! I'll look into those TimeCapsule updates, sounds like yours is working well

I timed it last nite, using ethernet link, timecapsle was backing up 1.25Gs per minute, not bad at all!