Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

My next phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
I really smile when other companies (trend followers) come up with supposed "iPhone killers" but they just copied the technology from the trend setters (Apple). People forget that Apple brought full touch technology to mobile devices (useful touch) along with multitouch. I wonder how long trend followers will get out 'iPad killers".

I can't wait for the next gen iPhone. With superbly designed multitasking in OS 4 and next gen iPhone which most probably will be better than 3GS in terms of processing power, for sure you get an unbeatable device.
What makes me smile? iPhone drones who are convinced they are "trailblazers" that have the absolute ultimate phone - they are truly like the Moonies of the 70's. What exactly about the iPhone was "revolutionary"?
The iPhone is made by Foxcom a Taiwanese company better known for making Cisco products than cell phones - yes, they are good, but "revolutionary"? Hardly. Touchscreen phones were in development well before the iPhone's release, so lets get over ourselves - shall we?
There is no need for an "iPhone killer" because at the end of the day, it's just a cell phone. It doesn't cure cancer, it won't make a great espresso, and it won't make you capable of painting the Mona Lisa. Let's relax and realize there are options and quit being such automatons that you can't see outside the little apple shaped box - okay?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pjinca
What makes me smile? iPhone drones who are convinced they are "trailblazers" that have the absolute ultimate phone - they are truly like the Moonies of the 70's. What exactly about the iPhone was "revolutionary"?
The iPhone is made by Foxcom a Taiwanese company better known for making Cisco products than cell phones - yes, they are good, but "revolutionary"? Hardly. Touchscreen phones were in development well before the iPhone's release, so lets get over ourselves - shall we?
There is no need for an "iPhone killer" because at the end of the day, it's just a cell phone. It doesn't cure cancer, it won't make a great espresso, and it won't make you capable of painting the Mona Lisa. Let's relax and realize there are options and quit being such automatons that you can't see outside the little apple shaped box - okay?
What was revolutionary?

The iPhone was the first and remains to this date the only truly successful integration and convergence of an innovative UI, rich applications, music and media content, social networking and true usability in a mass market device. Apple was able to bring these together in a way that no-one was able to do before nor successfully emulated since.

Like it or like it not, John, but:

The App Store contains far and away the best selection in the industry
The iPhone OS has more applications in development than any other mobile OS;
The iPhone provided the first truly usable web browsing experience in a mobile device.
The iTunes store provides access to the widest content available in the industry
The iPhone remains the benchmark and is the device every new entrant wants to "beat"

Apple is actually now the leading music retailer in the US. That's no accident my friend. But it is part of what made the iPhone revolutionary.

I really don't understand the denial. But make no mistake, you're going to have to get used to it because it's going to remain this way for a long time to come. Apple has already won this battle.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Sorry Steven, I understand the loyalty, but the fanaticism is alarming. There is truly nothing an iPhone can do for me that my BB Bold cannot do, web surfing - done, email and apps I actually use - done, 3G - done. Does it have pointless apps, yep, sure does (anyone ever seen the BB Apps Store?). As for music? Looks like iTunes (with their .99/per song price) has good competition now with Rhapsody offering unlimited downloads for $10/mo - and, yep, I can get it on my phone Again, I don't need/want it but I can get it. Music retailer is a funny "advantage", how many actually PAY for music anymore, seriously.
The denial comes from Apple drones, like the ones here, who think the iPhone is the Messiah incarnate. It's a gadget, a good one to be sure, but it's just a gadget. Until it can make me an espresso, take care of my kids, and give me a "happy ending" it's still just a phone. Let's not try to make it more than it is, shall we?

I have to admit Steven, I am surprised that you of all people cannot see there can be equally effective devices as the iPhone. You who have defended the Hyundai Genesis and Cadillac CTS against the slings and arrows of this forum turn into a Stepford user when discussing a phone that would "dare" to compete with the iPhone? I would have thought you would have seen the benefits of the competition more than other iPhone users.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I understand what both sides are saying and their points. I'm an iPhone owner and I have to say this is the only phone which I use the most both professionally and casually, because of its capabilities. I'm not saying that the new up and comers are not as good. But at this point, iPhone is the benchmark for the market. My only compliant is not the phone itself but the service from AT&T. Then again, I don't think other networks would be that much better if they had the same amount of users and data to handle.

As for using iPhone to do coffeee making, child caring and happy ending, etc., I'm sure the apps are in the work. Just wait for it...
Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

I have to admit Steven, I am surprised that you of all people cannot see there can be equally effective devices as the iPhone. You who have defended the Hyundai Genesis and Cadillac CTS against the slings and arrows of this forum turn into a Stepford user when discussing a phone that would "dare" to compete with the iPhone? I would have thought you would have seen the benefits of the competition more than other iPhone users.
The point is that I can see it, competition is always good - and in my CTS-V posts I almost invariably note that it is indeed competition that keeps the leaders on their toes and continually innovating. You're getting pushback here because but you posted a link that you entitled "LMAO iPhone" - yet it took us to another device that ultimately falls short and does little to move the industry forward. What I am looking for is the market to deliver a phone and an ecosystemthat does truly compete with Apple. Android devices may well get there in time if the App Store takes off, the device you posted doesn't do that. It really isn't a question of devices "daring to compete", it is a question of those that are being released and positioned as competitors all too often being mediocre. I'm not sure that the CTS-V analogy is the right one as it is a worthy competitor, the Genesis analogy too as it is a car that was good enough to change perceptions about its maker. I am sure there are devices in the pipeline that will do the same for the mobile industry - and I absolutely agree with you that this would be a good thing.

BTW I also carry a BlackBerry... I am not solely tied to Apple devices.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Steven, the HD2 is more than jsut capable. It can do everything I need my phone to do (meaning the coming Android version, I don;t want the Win Mobile device - yuck!!!). Again, 200k apps sounds good, but how many apps do people realistically use? What percentage of those are games and time wasters? A phone that handles my business needs is all I really need and the BB Bold does a great job of that, I just don't need a BB anymore since we no longer have a BB Enterprise server - we went to Gmail so an Android device would be perfect for me.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Steven, the HD2 is more than jsut capable. It can do everything I need my phone to do (meaning the coming Android version, I don;t want the Win Mobile device - yuck!!!). Again, 200k apps sounds good, but how many apps do people realistically use? What percentage of those are games and time wasters? A phone that handles my business needs is all I really need and the BB Bold does a great job of that, I just don't need a BB anymore since we no longer have a BB Enterprise server - we went to Gmail so an Android device would be perfect for me.
I don't necessarily disagree (well, I do, but not by too much). It's just funny to see the old Mac users arguments in the Mac vs PC debate (why would I care about how many Windows apps are available if the ones I want are available on the Mac) turned 180 degrees and being used against Apple.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Steven, the HD2 is more than jsut capable. It can do everything I need my phone to do (meaning the coming Android version, I don;t want the Win Mobile device - yuck!!!).
Why wait for the Android HD2? It's basically going to be exactly the same as the Google Nexus One. It offers nothing new over the N1, and the N1 is available now.

btw, the Android app store has over 50,000 apps and is adding them at 10,000 a month.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
I don't necessarily disagree (well, I do, but not by too much). It's just funny to see the old Mac users arguments in the Mac vs PC debate (why would I care about how many Windows apps are available if the ones I want are available on the Mac) turned 180 degrees and being used against Apple.

That was never an argument I used, I was around when Apple had better, faster, more "all-in-one" computers than any IBM compatible offered. Remember when Apple's all came with NIC's and a great amount of memory and CPU speed, and truly fantastic BUS speed? I do. The only reason I have used Windows based PC's much more in my career is because they were in the workplace, whereas MAC's were only in the graphics dept's wherever I went. Even today most Windows apps are "fluff" - games and time wasters that do little or nothing for real business productivity - and some that do take so long to learn how to use properly they become ineffective.
My argument about apps is, I think, valid. How many do iPhone users actually have? use? Do I need my phone to be a garage door opener? No, not really, our cars have that built into the mirror - so it's useless to me.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

I just wanna watch hulu can't apple fvckin get on it already? Shiit! It would also be nice if my freakin phone could see flash based websites. What the shit is so hard about that?

Quick Reply: My next phone