Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!
View Poll Results: Should I
Keep my 530Xi and finish modding it
50.00%
or trade it in (eat the negative equity and $ spent on mods) and get a 335 coupe?
50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Is modding supposed to be stressful?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So here's the deal: I've started taking modding my car a little more seriously lately. The two approaches that I'm using to do that are: mod everything that needs replacing (for example: brakes needed replacing, I got drilled and slotted rotors and semi-racing pads). Second approach: buy mods at bargains and never use credit.

So I've amassed so far a very rare Alpina front, a set of H&R springs (not yet installed), M Sport sideskirts, and the brakes. A lot of small upgrades are on the car, like the matte black kidneys, trunk finisher - I don't even remember all of it any more, just a crapload of crap that is all on the car or waiting to get put on.

I've now come to the junction where I need to start seriously looking for rims and also probably get a set of shocks/struts as well - not only because it'll ride better, but also because I feel like mine are really close to being done (even though the car only has 62xxx mi on the odo).

Two days ago, when I had the car on the lift to get the fogs installed (long story: my Alpina front was in the way), I noticed an oil leak and a crack in the plastic pan that "protects" the front of the engine from the bottom. Took of the cover and noticed traces of oil all around the area there. Power steering hose was wet and directly beneath the oily area on the pan, so there is some hope that this is just power steering fluid... but its not because it looks like oil, it smells like oil and it tastes like oil - must be friggin oil! So now I've gotta deal with that. Of course I'm noticing all kinds of ticking and whatnot - now that I know the oil is leaking (however slowly that might be). So I'm guessing this is the lifter issue - kind of just bracing myself for the worst case scenario, but still... its NOT improbable.

Well, basically, I feel completely overwhelmed by all these problems. And I know that modding isn't supposed to be stress-free and that it does require a huge commitment. But I just don't know if I'm up to the task of modding AND dealing with the bullsh*t that comes up - like this oil leak. Next, I'm guessing, my clutch will go - at which point I'll have to scramble to find 3-4 grand to replace it with the Dinan clutch and probably do the lightweight flywheel while I'm at it. But am I supposed to feel this stressed? Isn't it easier to just say "to hell with this POS!" and trade it in for something still under warranty?

What do you guys think? What would you do in my shoes? The thing is I still LOVE my car. I frigging orgasm every time I see it and I LOVE driving it and just about everything about it (except for the cost and severity of the issues that come unexpectedly). So if I'm just being a little bitch and I should shut the EF up and man up, tell me - I honestly do not know any more where to go from here. Keep thinking that if I were to get the 335 coupe, I'd just throw summer wheels on it, get an ECU tune and some cosmetic mods and it'd be DONE - just enjoy the ride from there on. SO that's kind of messing with my head right now...
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

I'd vote for you to keep the car, because you already did some modding to it so you might as well try to finish what you want the car to look like. If you want to get rid of the car you basically loosing money on your car and mod XD. If you get the 335 your pretty much degrading and going to spend even more money to mod it when you already lost a lot trading and the mods. It's up to you now, the 335 is nice, I like the convertible one if you decide to trade it in heh and yeah if you ever sell the lip PM me, I might pick it up ahha.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributors

get a coupe. do it now. one day you will have to tote the wife and kids around. then you can get a 4-door AWD car.

My next car will be a coupe or vert.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributors

^^I have about a year and a half left on my lease... i plan on putting a sizeable downpayment on a used on of these when my lease is up:

you have too many doors on your car!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NC916
I'd vote for you to keep the car, because you already did some modding to it so you might as well try to finish what you want the car to look like. If you want to get rid of the car you basically loosing money on your car and mod XD. If you get the 335 your pretty much degrading and going to spend even more money to mod it when you already lost a lot trading and the mods. It's up to you now, the 335 is nice, I like the convertible one if you decide to trade it in heh and yeah if you ever sell the lip PM me, I might pick it up ahha.
I don't know if you can afford it hahaha

But yes, jokes aside, this was one of the stronger arguments I had for keeping the car - to kind of finish what I started. The thing is, I'm beginning to realize that the reliability issues will only get worse and it won't be like I thought - once you fix it, it will run without issues. Apparently, it doesn't work like this with BMW. With BMW its like, once you fix it, something else MORE expensive will go next - just as you're getting a few dollars together to get the rims, or smth... basically, I'm disenchanted with the prospects of long-term ownership - the very thing that once made me proud...

Originally Posted by craigm1841
get a coupe. do it now. one day you will have to tote the wife and kids around. then you can get a 4-door AWD car.

My next car will be a coupe or vert.
Well, actually, my current situation is nearing the point where I'll have to often help out my sister and she has a 5yo, so I do sort of need the size. I do and I don't, because they have an SUV, so we can use that. But the extra room is actually sort of handy these days. Bottom line though, I still can do with the 3er coupe for now, so you're right.

Originally Posted by craigm1841
^^I have about a year and a half left on my lease... i plan on putting a sizeable downpayment on a used on of these when my lease is up:

you have too many doors on your car!
Yes, I know you like that car. Honestly, I can't say I like it more than the 335, but this is probably because I'm not a vert person - I prefer coupes. And the 335 vert does not really hold the candle to it's coupe sibling. Still, remember that owning a used Audi is generally worse than owning a used BMW - I know this from experience lol
Old 03-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

1 simple rule of BMW's is never own one outside of warranty, unless u wanna pay big bucks if it breaks, and once u replace something the part that its attached too is usually next inline to go
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skelevirus
1 simple rule of BMW's is never own one outside of warranty, unless u wanna pay big bucks if it breaks, and once u replace something the part that its attached too is usually next inline to go
that is true of every european car IMO. they are expensive to fix and tend to be more "delicate"

While Europeans generally produce many of the highly sought after driving machines, i wouldnt touch one without a warranty... with the exception of an exotic, and at that point a $700 to fix a lightbulb doesn't really matter I guess.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Contributors

I am beginning to see your point guys...
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Contributors

It kind of sucks that I can love a car and want to put in a LOT to make it work right out of my own pocket, but she only seems to ask for more each time I splurge... there may be a feeler for an Xi brake-swap thread coming soon - that's for all those local to me though
Old 03-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

true dat Craig, it seems like alot of people (not u V) dont understand what it takes to own a Bmw, like if all of us were on a civic forum, due to our incomes, u wouldnt hear a single gripe about $ for mods or cost of parts breaking. but since the lil fish wanna swim in the big pond, everything is about replicas, knockoffs, and how to save a buck here and there. which is fine and all but i mean cmon for gawd sakes. theres a few heads on here (more than a few) that are in the position to own these cars and they never bitch or use knockoff/replica parts. hell most have AMG's porsches, and other toys... i dropped out to recoup, im not going to own another BMW till i get my paper stacked correctly, so im not on here asking for replica 166's or whatever. ive gotta mentally prepare myself to treat my upcoming M3 or F10, like its an accord or a civic. and its really not that big of a deal if i gotta replace a headlight or a tire or whatever

Quick Reply: Is modding supposed to be stressful?