Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Microsoft's new ad

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i

Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Senior Members

hello im a PC, and i just bought a MAC
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

pfff, theres a reason why ppl never go back to pc after going mac
Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by southgate' post='672944' date='Sep 19 2008, 07:55 AM
hello im a PC, and i just bought a MAC
Good one
Old 09-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I agree this commercial is trying too hard, but I like the commercial with Seinfeld where Bill Gates does the robot.

What I don't like is this smugness that Apple is cultivating with their cult of new Mac users.

A little background history of my computer usage for those who are interested. I'm interested to hears yours too!
I grew up using a PC. I started on a 286 and the first box I built was a 486 DX2. I graduated to a Pentium, skipped Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Athlon XP, Pentium 4 (Northwood), Pentium 4 (Prescott), Core 2 Duo. I've been upgrading my rig annually up until about a year ago.

I first used an Apple with the Apple IIe where I played games like Prince of Persia, Oregan Trail and other random 8-color 2-bit games. About the same time I got my the Pentium 4 (Northwood), I picked up an Apple G5. Growing up using Windows, I welcomed the stability of OS X. But at the time, Apple was still using PowerPC chips so there weren't really any games available on Mac nor was there much development on the software side. Then Apple switched to Intel chips, bringing the ability to run Windows and Linux OS's on Apple hardware. I picked up a MacBook Pro at the beginning of this year.

With virtualization software like VMware Fusion and Parallels, running Windows as the main operating system just doesn't make sense anymore. The price premium you pay for Apple hardware buys compatibility. Searching on Google for "How to sync your new cellphone to your MacBook Pro" is going to return much more search results than "How to sync your new cell phone to an ASUS P5W-DH motherboard".

So now, I either want to get a MacPro(but they're so damn expensive) or upgrade my PC rig. Decisions...

So do any of you guys know how to run OS X on non-Apple hardware?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='673031' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:17 AM
I agree this commercial is trying too hard, but I like the commercial with Seinfeld where Bill Gates does the robot.

What I don't like is this smugness that Apple is cultivating with their cult of new Mac users.

A little background history of my computer usage for those who are interested. I'm interested to hears yours too!
I grew up using a PC. I started on a 286 and the first box I built was a 486 DX2. I graduated to a Pentium, skipped Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Athlon XP, Pentium 4 (Northwood), Pentium 4 (Prescott), Core 2 Duo. I've been upgrading my rig annually up until about a year ago.

I first used an Apple with the Apple IIe where I played games like Prince of Persia, Oregan Trail and other random 8-color 2-bit games. About the same time I got my the Pentium 4 (Northwood), I picked up an Apple G5. Growing up using Windows, I welcomed the stability of OS X. But at the time, Apple was still using PowerPC chips so there weren't really any games available on Mac nor was there much development on the software side. Then Apple switched to Intel chips, bringing the ability to run Windows and Linux OS's on Apple hardware. I picked up a MacBook Pro at the beginning of this year.

With virtualization software like VMware Fusion and Parallels, running Windows as the main operating system just doesn't make sense anymore. The price premium you pay for Apple hardware buys compatibility. Searching on Google for "How to sync your new cellphone to your MacBook Pro" is going to return much more search results than "How to sync your new cell phone to an ASUS P5W-DH motherboard".

So now, I either want to get a MacPro(but they're so damn expensive) or upgrade my PC rig. Decisions...

So do any of you guys know how to run OS X on non-Apple hardware?
+1. I have to admit, I'm a recent convert from a Windows PC to a Mac

Here are some links to get you started with Mac OSx on a PC:There's another site, which allows you to purchase PC machines with an OSx software loaded, but I can't seem to find the link right now.

Oh, and how many folks can we think of that has had the same financial success as Bill Gates, considering how much he has made and how long it took him? I mean Forbes top 5, come'n
Old 09-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Yeah, I've tried to load a couple of the recent osx86project builds, but I always get some sort of error or hiccup. I wish Steve Jobs would release OS X from the clutches of Apple-only hardware; but then he wouldn't be selling as many machines... or would he?

I feel like Apple has become a premium brand, like a Chanel or Guuci.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='673038' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I've tried to load a couple of the recent osx86project builds, but I always get some sort of error or hiccup. I wish Steve Jobs would release OS X from the clutches of Apple-only hardware; but then he wouldn't be selling as many machines... or would he?

I feel like Apple has become a premium brand, like a Chanel or Guuci.
I agree; they're too damn expensive. Btw, if you have access to a student discount with Apple, it can lead to significant savings... I wish I could find that link right now
Old 09-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Contributors

Yeah, but the student discount really isn't that much of a discount.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='673047' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:53 AM
Yeah, but the student discount really isn't that much of a discount.
It helps, every little bit does. Where it really kicks-in is with the software such as Adobe Creative Suite 3, Premium Edition