Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Microsoft's new ad

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='673656' date='Sep 19 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm a Linux/Mac/PC. I have more Macs but only one of them is a Macintel (Mac that can run Windows). My main machine is a Quad Core G5 PowerMac with 8GB ram (will soon upgrade to 16G. My work machine is a Vista Lenovo. I'll likely upgrade the PowerMac to a MacPro (so I can run Windows through VM Ware Fusion) and get the kids another iMac but there is room for all and each platform has it's own merits. I would never ask my kids to use Linux, unless they wanted to, and Vista can't handle more than 3.5GB of RAM without going to 64bit and then I would have to deal with driver issues. I've found the 32bit version of Vista (SP1) to be much better than the original release. What is better depends on your needs. It just so happens that OS X fits my personal needs best (for now).

As for the price of a MacPro, I've priced the MacPro against a similar Dell. If you look at comparable hardware you'll pay about $1200 more for the Dell unless you can get the corporate rates. Seriously, the MacPro is a workstation, not what you normally find at the local BestBuy.

And the new MS commercials are better, IMO.
FYI... I don't think your PowerMac can go over 8GB. I used to have one.