Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Mean vs nice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a difference between being nice and being a push over. there is also a difference in the work place. Being assertive in a calm nice manner rather than yelling and screaming at everyone is going to make for a better work environment. If you let it be known theres a time and a place to screw around and have fun but this must come AFTER the work is done. I know im young and dont have a lot of job exp but this is what ive figured out so far.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='949994' date='Jul 22 2009, 02:32 AM
I found that when I led the team by being nice AND setting a good example, I could get my subordinates to work better, harder and more loyal. Sadly there are many who think being mean is the way forward. That only sets a bad working environment.

Thats my 2cent worth.

cheers

me? I've had mixed results being nice - with coworkers it pays to not be the "evil one" because then they look for any opportunity to stab you in the back. At home (lately with our Property Manager) I had been nice for months (asking them to check the water pressure in the bathroom) and nothing was getting done, so I got fed up and went off - shower works perfectly now
In a leadership role though nice gets you walked all over, when I was a team leader in the military I learned you can't always be friends with those you command. What they really want is you to have their back, if you do they will have yours. I have done this ever since, always viewed it as part of my job description - keep your boss from getting yelled at and you will never get yelled at.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Sometimes the myrmidons refer to dedicated, focused, firm, determined, objective and/or loyal as ?mean?.

sixcard
Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Contributors

On a superficial level, +1 for nice. However, I think that you would have to quantify "nice" vs "mean", and the situation that it would apply to...

That being said, whatever your beliefs are, bottom line is to remember the Golden Rule: "Treat others as you would want them to treat you"....to get respect, give respect...as the Hindus say regarding Karma: "whatever you do, it'll all eventually come back on you..."
Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by theonlychoman' post='950233' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:53 AM
as the Hindus say regarding Karma: "whatever you do, it'll all eventually come back on you..."
Below I40 they say, "what comes around, goes around."

sixcard
Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='950241' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:01 AM
Below I40 they say, "what comes around, goes around."

sixcard
+1
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='950017' date='Jul 22 2009, 03:37 AM
BTW I'd love to hear more of what you have to say on my original question: do nice guys really finish last?
no, Vlad, I don't think so. Everything needs equilibrium - you can't be nice all the time and you can't be a prick all the time either. Nice guys get their share.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

The other, perhaps overlooked effect, is being able to look at yourself in the mirror everyday and KNOW you are a good person, that is also an important aspect to being nice, (though NOT a pushover)!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='950271' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:37 PM
no, Vlad, I don't think so. Everything needs equilibrium - you can't be nice all the time and you can't be a prick all the time either. Nice guys get their share.
+1. That about sums it up.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='950027
i have a lot of integrity, and i have a coworker who has been cutting out of work quite early. 2 hours yesterday, not coming in today (because our boss is out, even so, this is a weekly occurrence, hour here, hour there) but he will log the hours, at a rate of approximately 50 bucks an hour... thats your tax money folks. anyway, it pays off now for him because he gets free money. but he will get caught.
I'm not talking about anything grossly abusive, like not coming in to work at all (Thank God) - in my case, this guy simply either is very forgetful (maybe I should make him take a drug test?) or he just REALLY doesn't care...

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='950154' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:31 AM
... What they really want is you to have their back, if you do they will have yours. I have done this ever since, always viewed it as part of my job description - keep your boss from getting yelled at and you will never get yelled at.
I find that the more I get their backs, the more they find opportunities to stab me in mine, so I have my subordinates' backs, but I do it in a way that no one knows it, except for my VP, to whom I submit my reports on everyone's performance. They are not written - we simply talk about it occasionally, so nothing can come back to me as evidence of my protecting my subordinates. But I'm in a good enough standing that occasionally I actually take the blame for people that I feel might get fired for messing up really bad. Once it backfired on me and the guy I protected actually went to the partners and blamed me for his own fvck ups by lying - I fired his ass as soon as I found out. Was a lesson to me to cover their asses out of the public eye - that guy took advantage of my niceness.

Quick Reply: Mean vs nice