Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MacBook Pro 17"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 PM
JMC
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Praise-the-lowered said:

I agree with you but when you start a conversation by stating that your choice equates to a high performance m5 and my choice is a GTI you are throwing these things into categories on no basis.
I drew an analogy. A Golf GTI is a very fine car indeed that most people would aspire to. It is superbly built, fast, practical, does practically everything an M5 does, in some cases better. It's considerably cheaper, to the extent that I'm sure someone with a top spec one would probably think me insane for wasting the extra money. That sounds pretty much like the argument that Wintel users throw at Mac buyers all the time. I apologise if you think that comparing them in this way was a put down, it wasn't meant that way. But as someone who owns both I am entitled to equate the decision making process that I brought to the purchase of each, don't you think? Or am I deluded in some way?

You presume a superior stance from the get go and why? Because you have a MBP. No I don't, but I think my MBP17 is a superior computer based on the criteria I think most important. I accept they may not be the same criteria you would weigh highly, why can't you accept my choice?

I could care less that you bought a M5 or have a MBP its your money and life. But dont for one second think that by pushing down on my choice to prop yours up that it somehow makes you intellectually superior.

You don't think calling someone's choice "retarded" is a claim to you being intellectually superior?

I can use those terms because this was the issue that I brought up:

1) Mac didnt invent LCD Backlit screens nor were they the first to have a battery last longer than 8 hours but somehow its only a big deal in the mac world, so much so that they made huge announcements about it in their keynotes. That's it. When that was brought up the other two automatically started in how superior Mac is regardless of anything else.I didn't say that Macs are superior. Thats fanboyish. Why so free with the insults?

BTW, if you have been following the arguments (I guess you haven't) you'll understand that Apple aren't making environmental claims to put down other manufacturers, rather to answer some fairly pointed criticism that has come their way from Greenpeace and others quite recently about the materials they have been using.

Thats not objective at all and the OP had brought up objective complaints about the MBP.

Its awesome that you guys love your MBP but dont shit all over my choice because you feel somehow by choosing a Mac you knew something I didn't. I got many of the same things you did in a different package. Im happy for you guys and I dont say how my Lenovo is like anything but simply a good computer.

Thats just straight up childish.

Allow me to quote: "I bet you guys love your Iphones too lol HTC Touch HD all the way over anything apple has." Which bit displays your happiness for us? You wouldn't be shitting all over my choice by any chance would you?

You don't need to justify your choice in anything you buy. Neither do I.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='766920' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:30 PM
Anyone that knows Danger Den Watercooling is qualified to speak on behalf of PC heads.
I almost went with Danger Den for an aftermarket mod. Since i got the EVGA products (tbw that's the Nvidia trusted supplier) but was unable to wait for the water cooled products i decided in the end to stick to air.

Here is my setup:
My pc!

The specs you can find below:

Intel QX9770 with 12 MB cache and 1600 FSB 3.2 GHz running @ 3.6GHz with 1800 FSB

EVGA 790i ultra MOBO

4x1GB Mushkin DDR 3 memory @ 1800Mhz running @ 2000 Mhz

Video: 2xEVGA 9800GX2 making it quad SLI

HDD: 2xWD Velociraptor raid 0 stripped and 2x Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F1 raid 0 stripped

PSU: 1200W Thermalright

running Vista X64 ultimate.

AND it got replaced with this:
My iMac

Specs below:

Intel 3.06 GHz Core2Duo

2x2GB DDR2 800MHz

Video: Nvidia 8800GS

HDD: 1TB Hitachi HDD.

And believe it or not the Apple is faster than that beefed up PC (that was literally the worst the most regrettable investment in my entire life) for day to day business, and that's mainly not because of the lower specced hardware (obviously) but the better OS and unbeatable OS-hardware correlation.

IMHO without sounding Apple-head or whatever, all the Apple vs PC adds found on apple.com are true. Since i built that rig myself and got all the parts from different vendors and different shops, after some good thinking and good research i still couldn't come up with a super stable system, while my iMac is DEAD ON stable. Don't get me wrong, Apples are not crash free but never ever i had to reset everything to have it working again, and never ever did it come up with inexplicable (genunine) windows crash problems ala "this program has performed an illegal operation and needs to be closed--->Send/don't send" Thank you Microshit for that!!!

People speak of Apple being cheesy and picking on consumers: well take a good look at that MShit calls it's anti piracy control "genuine advantage validation tool" What a paradox ain't it?

Moreover people forget that when they buy a new PC/laptop, most of the time they pay premium for Windows (as if that wasn't bad enough) because the cost of Vista Ultimate vs Leopard is incomparable. Here a copy of Vista X64 Ultimate is around 400 to 500 Euros while Leopard is just a bit shy of 100 Euros. Premium Windows ???

and with this i conclude my apple vs pc input in this thread. It started as an offtopic and i myself after carefully using both PCs with either Windows or Linux i can conclude that overall Apple is a far better choice even if i have to pay some premium for it.

Now let's get back at talking about Apples.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Good thing I waited.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/core-i7-m...apple,7001.html
Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='792116' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:27 PM
Ya man! THis is good news.

But do we really think that "We're expecting Apple to announce new MacBook and MacBook Pros later this year."?

I mean...so soon, a replacement (in terms of hardware upgrade)?

I also held my purchases, but obviously not based on this. I held back due to still big price of the SSD (both 128GB and 256G ones and the fact that in half a year or so, probably due to the launch of the i7 the new snow leopard will arrive with proper native 64 bit operation.

So i7 (if true) + lower ssd prices + maybe the new 256 GB ssd available on the 15"model + snow leopard WILL for sure pay back the hard waiting.