Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MacBook Pro 17"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='765908' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:23 PM
Apple is starting to reaaaaly piss me off with all the BS they always pull. I'm sitting in front of a macbook pro and next to it is a iphone 3g but in all seriousness they are all overpriced. $5000 for a laptop? Are you KIDDING me? I suggest not buying this one and if you want one purchase the previous gen.
Yes man but also look at what you get! 8 GB of RAM. To many that's 4x the average PC has in a household or small offices. Also it has a 256GB state of the art SSD (Samsung if i'm not mistaken). A core 2 duo processor (2.93 GHz and 6MB cache) that can run circles next to half of the mainstream PC procs and twin graphics that also can obliterate almost anything ATI has for mobiles and keep up with most of the graphic demands (almost any modern game being playable at FULL specs).

This is easily a desktop replacement and if your work schedule is 8hrs or less you can easily carry it to the office replacing the desktop without having to carry the power charger. Sounds good to me.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='765920' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:30 PM
The only way you can get an MBP up to 5K is to a) get the 17", upspec the processor to the latest, upspec the RAM to 8GB and add a 256GB SSD.

If you added these on almost any other manufacturer's machine you'll be close to the same amount. And you'll have wasted your money because you won't have a Mac.
Better said!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='765914' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:26 AM
Lenovo is indeed midrange. Upper end, granted, but midrange.

You can quicker cars cheaper than BMW. But most of here pay a premium for that too.

Your price fixing point is poorly informed speculation.

Your other stuff is conjecture. And if you can point us to a written statement from Apple making false claims post it here and we'll talk.
Upper end midrange? lol. I just dont follow that.

Actually my price fixing point is valid because it happens to also be true. Even walmart cant discount beyond $10 off of apple mrp.

How about the keynote presentation and the introduction to the new macbook line? How they present their laptop is if they are the only ones who have done it. That they are the greenest notebooks ever produced.

Ive noticed that ive provided counter claims to apple and you have simply ignored them.

How about you address the fact that other companies have some of the same technology. That would atleast let people know you arent bias.

Ive owned many apple computers. Im not hating on them, im simply saying they are not the only computer on the block with this stuff. its not revolutionary.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='765920' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:30 AM
The only way you can get an MBP up to 5K is to a) get the 17", upspec the processor to the 2.93 ghz Core 2 Duo, upspec the RAM to 8GB and add a 256GB SSD.

If you added these on almost any other manufacturer's machine you'll be close to the same amount. And you'll have wasted your money because you won't have a Mac.

so you are saying that if you spend 5k on a computer and its not a mac, its a waste of money?

Id like to know why you think that.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='765921' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:30 AM
Yes man but also look at what you get! 8 GB of RAM. To many that's 4x the average PC has in a household or small offices. Also it has a 256GB state of the art SSD (Samsung if i'm not mistaken). A core 2 duo processor (2.93 GHz and 6MB cache) that can run circles next to half of the mainstream PC procs and twin graphics that also can obliterate almost anything ATI has for mobiles and keep up with most of the graphic demands (almost any modern game being playable at FULL specs).

This is easily a desktop replacement and if your work schedule is 8hrs or less you can easily carry it to the office replacing the desktop without having to carry the power charger. Sounds good to me.

No doubt 8gigs of ram is a lot. How much of that will actually be used i wonder? If you can tell me i would appreciate it.

256 SSD is outstanding but it comes at a premium with any company. They are good but expensive right now.

Graphics wise the t series is not up to par. No one is saying that. Its one hell of a machine that starts at $1300
Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='765946' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:54 AM
Upper end midrange? lol. I just dont follow that.

Actually my price fixing point is valid because it happens to also be true. Even walmart cant discount beyond $10 off of apple mrp.

How about the keynote presentation and the introduction to the new macbook line? How they present their laptop is if they are the only ones who have done it. That they are the greenest notebooks ever produced.

Ive noticed that ive provided counter claims to apple and you have simply ignored them.

How about you address the fact that other companies have some of the same technology. That would atleast let people know you are bias.

Ive owned many apple computers. Im not hating on them, im simply saying they are not the only computer on the block with this stuff. its not revolutionary.
What you've posted are claims that Apple had made specific claims which you believed to be false. You've not backed any of that up with examples. You're posting what you think you heard or wanted to hear, not what Apple actually said.

If you have examples to support your claims we'd like to see them.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='765947' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:55 AM
so you are saying that if you spend 5k on a computer and its not a mac, its a waste of money?
Dropping 5K on a laptop that isn't a MacBook Pro? Yes.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Some of the things said in this video are completely elitist. I thought the Senior VP was going to recite a poem at one point or cry because he feels this computer is so apart of him. lol ?

I didnt say i believed them to be false. I said apple has announced them and positioned themselves in a way that makes it seem like apple is the only one that has some of these features.

You really need to reread some of the things ive typed. Its obvious that you already made up your mind that Apple is the greatest thing.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='765952' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:59 AM
Dropping 5K on a laptop that isn't a MacBook Pro? Yes.

Please tell me why so I can understand your point better.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='765903' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:16 PM
Apple was not the first to come out with LCD backlight mercury free screens
Ok so one point at a time.

Apple didn't claim it was the first to come up with it. I couldn't find the exact release dates for you model so here we might just let it be, as Lenovo came out first. OK! But Apple didn't market the green movement only by showing the mercury free LCD they made an entire list why they think their notebooks are no 1 in the green friendly family. So if that for some may seem as if they wanted to say hey i'm no 1 i think that was not their intention. I think their intention is to show what a spectacular thoughtfull initiative they have with a couple of direct (for example mercury free LCD) and indirect factors (battery life--->landfills) regarding the environment.

8 hour battery life has already been obtained through 9-cell batteries from lenovo
Maybe be very well true but you obtained this with a bigger battery. The stock of your Lenovo (which costs whatever costs) + an optional battery. If you refer to the 8 hour battery you refer to the 17" Macbook Pro cuz that's the only notebook with such battery life. The 15" model has less battery life, only around 5 hours but has the ability of battery swap.

I can add a blu ray drive if i want to; this machine is easy to take apart
Blu ray drive is not something i would buy. Not yet. It seems in USA the technology is more widespread due to probably the level of tech development and the infrastructure (heard of lots of DVD-BD stores that rent or sell HD movies-here we have none). Plus for me it still is too much to buy a Bluray blank (around 20$).

The discounts are far better from lenovo
The discounts are always far better at a mid or entry level manufacturer than at a premium one. The same discounts you find at an Opel/Vauxhall dealership while at BMW there are very few to none.

Quick Reply: MacBook Pro 17"