Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Luxury watch Website

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

If some of you recall, a few month back I created a watch thread where I want to purchase a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera around this month.

Long story short, after a lot of research and price checking in various countries, while I was conversing with a friend, he referred me to this luxury watch website that is located in NY.

Just wanted to check with you guys if anyone have ever heard or had previous experience with the seller.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Jad
Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Yep, its actually one of the better watch sites, its legit. Thats a good price on that watch too.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Aren't they gray market watches though? Serial Numbers lasered off? Don't get me wrong, gray market is still authentic in most cases, but you would not have a manufacturer's warranty.

I don't know much about that particular watch, but I checked the Omegas, and their prices seem high, at least on those.

I have a gray market Omega, and it's served me well for almost 11 years now. Only one problem, around year 7, so wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway.
I also have a dealer-sold Omega, and had an issue with it within two years. (Bought it in St. Thomas, and took in to a local Omega dealer). The local dealer sent it out to Omega for repair, and I was only out $25 for handling. Repaired with all OEM parts.

So I have experienced both sides of it.

On a watch of that caliber, I don't know that I would want to have aftermarket parts put in it if something went wrong within the website's (not manu) warranty period.

Out of warranty, would the manufacturer frown on the gray market if you sent to them for repair? That, I don't know.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ADD
Aren't they gray market watches though? Serial Numbers lasered off? Don't get me wrong, gray market is still authentic in most cases, but you would not have a manufacturer's warranty.
Thank you for your input ADD.

But you just scared me off from Amazon, Jomashop and any other unofficial dealers and gray market.
I thought the watches are literally identical which includes every watch its own unique Serrial number that is carved on the back of the watch. How can they be lasered off.

And I thought Gray markets are just as good as official dealers, just sold under the table to avoid paying employees Medicare and social security and avoid taxes. Didn't know the product differed as well. So it is not the real deal.

I'm sorry, I am confused.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by ADD

I don't know much about that particular watch, but I checked the Omegas, and their prices seem high, at least on those.

I have a gray market Omega, and it's served me well for almost 11 years now. Only one problem, around year 7, so wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway.
I also have a dealer-sold Omega, and had an issue with it within two years. (Bought it in St. Thomas, and took in to a local Omega dealer). The local dealer sent it out to Omega for repair, and I was only out $25 for handling. Repaired with all OEM parts.

So I have experienced both sides of it.

On a watch of that caliber, I don't know that I would want to have aftermarket parts put in it if something went wrong within the website's (not manu) warranty period.

Out of warranty, would the manufacturer frown on the gray market if you sent to them for repair? That, I don't know.

WTF, serial numbers lasered off?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil
WTF, serial numbers lasered off?

"Gray Market" refers to anything that is authentic, but not sold through authorized dealers (AD). It's usually overstock, or older models, that the ADs sell to, for example, an internet reseller for less than cost. Most high-end manufacturers don't like this, because if the reseller sells the watch for less than the MSRP of the ADs, it will cheapen their brand, etc. If this "resale" is ever traced back to the original authorized dealer, they could be dropped from the brand's list of ADs.

At least with Omega and Rolex, (the only brands I know anything about), gray market watches have the serial numbers lasered off so they can't be traced back to the stock of the original AD. They are authentic, but just sold for a discount through the gray market for the reasons above. You need to be watchful and know your $hit and what to look for in an original when it comes to online high-end watches, because the fakes are getting REALLY good. Sweep second hands can be made with a cheap swiss movement. Hell, even the movements can be swapped out and use an authentic case. The only way you'd know is by opening the case. If an authentic watch sells for $3,000 through an AD, and an authentic gray market sells for $2,500, and you can spend a little money in China to get a REALLY good fake into production, you could probably move quite a few for the $2,000 range when it only cost $20 to produce. That's the other reason manufacturers don't like gray market watches and have such a penalty for ADs selling them to a reseller. It opens the door for all kinds of other problems with fakes and replicas.

The only way you'll know for sure it's real, inside and out, is to buy through an AD.

That said, if you're willing to take the risk, and you have a lot of good feedback on a reseller, you can get an authentic watch, albeit gray market, for a good deal.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Contributors

those watches are just like the watches you buy in stores. serial numbers lasered off? never heard of that. Each watch has a unique SN and are individually warrantied. There would be ZERO reasons to take the SN off of the watch, In fact, the website states the watches are "Brand new with serial numbers".

Fact of the matter is, you dont have a manufacturers warranty. Jomashop has no overhead as i really think they have a few employees and a shitty warehouse.. if that. I dont think they even keep things in stock. I ordered a movado from them, waited two weeks, called them and told them they could keep the damn thing and that i wasnt waiting anymore, (it didnt say out of stock on the jomashop site, and i was told it hadnt even shipped yet. Two fucking weeks.) I got a full refund, and purchased it from the movado store.

They are legit, they are just unorganized and have horrible service, and no manufacturer warranty. If I ever buy another expensive watch, i will consider them again, i just cant let myself me anxious to get it. who knows how long it will take.

As a side note- when i called the 800 number, i didnt get an automated greeting or anything, just some bitch that picked up and said "jomashop" like she could care less about being there.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841
As a side note- when i called the 800 number, i didnt get an automated greeting or anything, just some bitch that picked up and said "jomashop" like she could care less about being there.
That was actually funny lol.

Have read many reviews saying they are good and am actually considering getting one from them (cheaper than Amazon.ca ) but the shipping is 160$ from NY to Montreal (but at this point, I wouldn't care less, have searched high and low, time to buy).

I am going to read more about this "Lasered off SN" though AFAIK the unique SN is carved into the watch, but doesn't hurt to check.

One more destination to price check. Friend is coming from Switzerland, checking price there, don't know if it is actually cheaper.

I was also reading the Official Warranty (gotta read everything you get ). The warranty barely covers the watch, and only for one year (thought for a high end product, it would be a lifetime on clockwork etc..).
So the official warranty isn't much of a priority at this point.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
That was actually funny lol.

Have read many reviews saying they are good and am actually considering getting one from them (cheaper than Amazon.ca ) but the shipping is 160$ from NY to Montreal (but at this point, I wouldn't care less, have searched high and low, time to buy).

I am going to read more about this "Lasered off SN" though AFAIK the unique SN is carved into the watch, but doesn't hurt to check.

One more destination to price check. Friend is coming from Switzerland, checking price there, don't know if it is actually cheaper.

I was also reading the Official Warranty (gotta read everything you get ). The warranty barely covers the watch, and only for one year (thought for a high end product, it would be a lifetime on clockwork etc..).
So the official warranty isn't much of a priority at this point.

Last bullet point in link...

http://watchsolution.blogspot.com/20...t-watches.html
Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ADD
Last bullet point in link...

http://watchsolution...et-watches.html
"Some gray market watches have had the serial number removed from the outside of the case (but not the inside) to prevent the manufacturer from tracing it to the authorized dealer that sold it to the gray market. See the following section for more information on watches that have had their serial numbers removed."

So the SN is removed from the BOX and not from the watch itself, am I correct?

Quick Reply: Luxury watch Website